Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23292 times)

Runslowalksalot

Treadmill 5.    I was only going to recover from my intervals today, but I felt goo so I did 5.   My 1st miles aren't getting a much faster, but I'm slowing down less!   1st mile 10:07, 2nd was faster, 5th was a 10:20!

labhiker

Decided to get my weekend long run out of the way early this morning

4am, 20.5 mile, 125 bmp ave.  Pleased with HR control and slowly built hr throughout the long run.  Other than being terribly cold it was a great run.  8F and my hands and water bottles froze.  Due to frozen water bottles I drank < 8oz. water for the entire run (no chance of overhydration concerns - Dr. Noakes would be pleased).

Demaris - glad to hear your recovery is going well and you are slowly getting back on the roads.  WTG.

labhiker

Slow and Steady

Had my first foray outside of my MAF HR zone since the end of January! It went....well, I'm not sure how it went. You tell me.

FYI my MAF zone is 121-131 (180-44-5) and my average MAF pace is currently around 13:45 to 14:00 per mile.

Did a 2hr 42min run, with four intervals of faster running for a total of just over 30 minutes. Two of them were on downhills:

• 11'50" at a 9:42 pace
        • 7'57" at a 10:12 pace

Then I did two sets on a flat section, almost exactly a kilometer:

• 5'45" at a 9:45 pace
        • 5'27" at a 9:14 pace

My HR during the first three were in the high 150s, maybe topping 160 a bit. My HR during the last one was more in the 160s and I topped out at 175. I ran MAF the whole rest of the time, and there was at least 20 minutes before and after each speed section.

As far as exertion level, I'd say it felt around a 10km pace or maybe even a bit quicker. So I'm a bit disappointed to have just a barely-under-10-minute pace for those sections where I felt I was running moderately hard. But maybe the first time back into the anaerobic zone is like that and maybe it will still improve once I've done it a few more times like that? Or maybe it was just fatigue: those last two flat sections were done after already having run for 2 hours.

Anyway, what do you all think? Is this good?

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hey, guys.  First week of running has been going well.  Let's see:

4 miles Saturday

5 on Monday

2 on Tuesday

7 on Thursday

1 yesterday

Today, I am planning on doing 5-6 miles.  Asthma and allergies are a bit high today so I'll try to take it easy on the lungs.

It's great to be back!

Damaris

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Hey, guys.  First week of running has been going well.  Let's see:

4 miles Saturday

5 on Monday

2 on Tuesday

7 on Thursday

1 yesterday

Today, I am planning on doing 5-6 miles.  Asthma and allergies are a bit high today so I'll try to take it easy on the lungs.

It's great to be back!

15.2 miles HR 124 / 148. Should have covered the nibbles. OUCH !

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Yay, Damaris!

15 miles, Ron. Holding up the Atlanta representation. I'm slouching this week.

Recovery for me today. 33 minutes.

RHR high.

--Jimmy

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

5 miles HR 111 / 135. Ran 1.5 Walked 3.5. Rain coat was a little to warm. Slowed the pace. Did not help. Decided to walk for recovery. Starting raining harder. Hands got  cold. Cut the 8 to 5. 37 mile week.

Have great day .

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I did 5 miles on the TM yesterday.  I still need to find a TM easy pace because my HR was 152.  Bah.

Damaris

BeeRunB

LT tempo last night.

I've been a bit exhausted since the time clock change.

One day at a time.

Slow and Steady

Had a rare insomniatic night Sunday night (too much coffee during the day) and only ended up with 2 or 3 hours of sleep that night. So no running Monday, and no running Tuesday as I was still catching up on my sleep. So this morning I was happy to get in a longer-than-normal run of 1 hour 42 minutes at average HR of 129bpm. I got up at 3:30am so I'd have time for this route, and was so glad I did! Full moon, zero cars on the hilly back roads I took. Still feeling the post-run mellowness. My pace was 14:21, not too bad.

Eric S.

I'm pretty sure it's both 1) first time anaerobic is slower 2) 2 hour run has a lot of HR drift.

so don't worry Smile

if you want to do anaerobic training I think better not just do that near the end of a long run. that can definitely help with making you stronger but it would be good if you also had a separate anaerobic session of a run that's, as a start, about 1 hour total incl warmup and cooldown.

good luck Smile

Had my first foray outside of my MAF HR zone since the end of January! It went....well, I'm not sure how it went. You tell me.

FYI my MAF zone is 121-131 (180-44-5) and my average MAF pace is currently around 13:45 to 14:00 per mile.

Did a 2hr 42min run, with four intervals of faster running for a total of just over 30 minutes. Two of them were on downhills:

• 11'50" at a 9:42 pace
                        • 7'57" at a 10:12 pace

Then I did two sets on a flat section, almost exactly a kilometer:

• 5'45" at a 9:45 pace
                        • 5'27" at a 9:14 pace

My HR during the first three were in the high 150s, maybe topping 160 a bit. My HR during the last one was more in the 160s and I topped out at 175. I ran MAF the whole rest of the time, and there was at least 20 minutes before and after each speed section.

As far as exertion level, I'd say it felt around a 10km pace or maybe even a bit quicker. So I'm a bit disappointed to have just a barely-under-10-minute pace for those sections where I felt I was running moderately hard. But maybe the first time back into the anaerobic zone is like that and maybe it will still improve once I've done it a few more times like that? Or maybe it was just fatigue: those last two flat sections were done after already having run for 2 hours.

Anyway, what do you all think? Is this good?

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

5.5 miles Garmin ANT having issues.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Slow and Steady

Went on my 4.8-mile flat route this morning, and ran it at a 13:19 pace! And it was the first time I cracked the 8-minute kilometer doing MAF. My first km was 7:55 which is a 12:44 pace. So whether this is a fluke or a sign of things to come, I'm quite pleased! (My last MAF test was a 14:08 pace.)

Eric S.

@offseid:

very nice Smile it might be supercompensation after the hard run but if you do the runs at this pace even after rest days then it'll probably stay with you Smile the improvement I mean

even in the case of supercompensation, sooner or later you'll have it consistently! the adding of anaerobic training - done right - will definitely help with that. so keep going!

btw did you see my previous post to you a day ago in this same thread? Smile

Went on my 4.8-mile flat route this morning, and ran it at a 13:19 pace! And it was the first time I cracked the 8-minute kilometer doing MAF. My first km was 7:55 which is a 12:44 pace. So whether this is a fluke or a sign of things to come, I'm quite pleased! (My last MAF test was a 14:08 pace.)

BeeRunB

76 minutes today

keeping below 70%hrr