Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23292 times)

Slow and Steady

[deleted duplicate post]

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

Slow and Steady

Yes I did thanks! I think I knew at the time that combining a long run with speedwork was probably a bad idea. Maybe it'd be okay if I only did the speedwork in the first hour? Or just keep it to a shorter session as you suggest.

Which kind of speedwork do you think would be most effective for kickstarting me out of my MAF pace? Intervals or fartleks? Or just plain tempo work? I've never done speedwork seriously before as I despise it, but I think it might be helpful.

btw did you see my previous post to you a day ago in this same thread? Smile

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning, guys. Ended up with 22 miles last week.  This week I did 5 miles on Monday and Tuesday, rested Wednesday, then did 7 MAF miles as my LR with the last 1/2 miles at GMP (HR: 148) and did 3 miles this morning at 141 HR.  Overall, I am slow lately, but that is not surprising giving that surgery was 5 weeks ago.

This Sunday, I am pacing hubby on the Puerto Rico Half Marathon.  Part of me is sad I am switched from the full to the half, but knowing the high is 90F and that means 100F heat index and 80 dewpoint like last year, I am glad not to be doing the full.

Damaris

C, what's this supercompensation you mention?  Never heard that term.

@offseid:

very nice Smile it might be supercompensation after the hard run but if you do the runs at this pace even after rest days then it'll probably stay with you Smile the improvement I mean

even in the case of supercompensation, sooner or later you'll have it consistently! the adding of anaerobic training - done right - will definitely help with that. so keep going!

btw did you see my previous post to you a day ago in this same thread? Smile

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

BeeRunB

Unintended rest day today. One thing after another.

Posted a new Crusted Salt.

Check it out...some marathons can be nerve-wracking...

--Jimmy

Yes I did thanks! I think I knew at the time that combining a long run with speedwork was probably a bad idea. Maybe it'd be okay if I only did the speedwork in the first hour? Or just keep it to a shorter session as you suggest.

Which kind of speedwork do you think would be most effective for kickstarting me out of my MAF pace? Intervals or fartleks? Or just plain tempo work? I've never done speedwork seriously before as I despise it, but I think it might be helpful.

just keep it to a shorter session for now. IMO you'd want to be the aerobic god first before doing it in a long session. Smile

as for speedwork, any of that stuff, just initially start from a low volume of the fast session and build it up gradually.

why do you despise it btw?

C, what's this supercompensation you mention?  Never heard that term.

when your body recovers after a workout, it goes like this, your body will first be tired and less able to do a workout. after recovering, ability will get back to baseline performance and if you stressed the system enough there will also be a little growth going past the baseline. this is called supercompensation and is temporary. but over time as you train regularly, it will become visible and permanent improvement of course.

what I was referring to is this special supercompensation effect where the recovery period goes especially "deep". this happens when the body meets training load that's beyond what it's used to (an extreme hard session or maybe two days of hard sessions or a long hard race etc), it will need extra recovery.

it comes with the temporary effect that it's harder to push your HR up. and not only that but the HR and pace will be out of sync: the pace for an easy run you run - as recovery run after the hard day/days - doesn't feel easier than usual but it will be at a lower HR than usual. and if you were to try some harder faster pace you may find that you can't do it for long or do it well at all as body is tired and deeply in recovery mode, deep in the "hole" that's been dug by the hard workout.

if you just trained "normal hard", then you may still not want to run fast the next day but your HR won't be as much out of sync with the pace. the "hole" is less deep.

this article is pretty good: http://coaching.iamwithoutlimits.com/2013/09/06/supercompensation-recovery-cycle/

Unintended rest day today. One thing after another.

Posted a new Crusted Salt.

Check it out...some marathons can be nerve-wracking...

--Jimmy

LOL

when your body recovers after a workout, it goes like this, your body will first be tired and less able to do a workout. after recovering, ability will get back to baseline performance and if you stressed the system enough there will also be a little growth going past the baseline. this is called supercompensation and is temporary. but over time as you train regularly, it will become visible and permanent improvement of course.

what I was referring to is this special supercompensation effect where the recovery period goes especially "deep". this happens when the body meets training load that's beyond what it's used to (an extreme hard session or maybe two days of hard sessions or a long hard race etc), it will need extra recovery.

it comes with the temporary effect that it's harder to push your HR up. and not only that but the HR and pace will be out of sync: the pace for an easy run you run - as recovery run after the hard day/days - doesn't feel easier than usual but it will be at a lower HR than usual. and if you were to try some harder faster pace you may find that you can't do it for long or do it well at all as body is tired and deeply in recovery mode, deep in the "hole" that's been dug by the hard workout.

if you just trained "normal hard", then you may still not want to run fast the next day but your HR won't be as much out of sync with the pace. the "hole" is less deep.

this article is pretty good: http://coaching.iamwithoutlimits.com/2013/09/06/supercompensation-recovery-cycle/

Thanks, great explanation!  I've experienced that effect the day after a hard workout, but have learned not to expect that temporary improvement in pace at a given HR to stick.  But at least like you said, it could be a sign of things to come

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

BeeRunB

Thanks, C. I've been mentioning this effect for years, where the day after a race or long run, it seems like you can run faster at the same HR, and remarkably so. Some mistake it for a quantum leap in fitness. I've never been able to explain so well as this, and with a great name "SCRC." RHR-wise, you might see a lower one after certain workouts as well.

TODAY:

90 minutes with 20 in there at LT.

Have a great weekend!

--Jimmy

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Forget to post. Bear Blaster. 50 k(33) last year 10:15. Goal 8:00:00. Dreaming Finish 7:59:30. Yay me! PR for the course. Third year running it.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Sorry for being MIA but between work going crazy and our trip to Puerto Rico, I was busy!  Did 3 MAF miles on Friday and we left for PR on Friday late.  I paced hubby at the Puerto Rico Half Marathon as my first post surgery race and we did great. Ended up MAFing the HM too at 140HR.  Did 6 miles last night at 145HR, so things are starting to get better.

Nice job, clay!

Damaris

BeeRunB

Damaris, how did you like Puerto Rico? It's on our list.

TODAY:

Cruise intervals 6x.25 miles

Slow, but invigorating. I've been so busy, and I've been taking lots of unintended off days.

But such is life.

--Jimmy

New Crusted Salt

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Damaris, how did you like Puerto Rico? It's on our list.

TODAY:

Cruise intervals 6x.25 miles

Slow, but invigorating. I've been so busy, and I've been taking lots of unintended off days.

But such is life.

--Jimmy

New Crusted Salt

Crusted Salt

Needed to read the commentary.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Crusted Salt

Needed to read the commentary.

I knew it was going to be slightly obscure, even though most runners have heard of the guy, I know they don't always remember his name. Still, I went with it! Crusted Salt can be educational, too! Thanks for reading it, Ron.

TODAY:

Rest and recovery, though was very active with the usual home chores. Sleep is still off since the clock change.

--Jimmy