Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23291 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

No way would I put an asterisk next to this.  If you don't train for and run that correctly, you'll be walking a good portion of the back half.  If it was so easy, then one of my friends who ran it last weekend wouldn't have crashed and burned on the 2nd half.  The guy I'm talking about was having a very strong training cycle (hit his targets, got downhill work in, etc) and actually ran about 15 minutes slower at Mt. Charleston than he ran in his last marathon in December on a flatter track in perfect conditions.  The moral of the story is, don't diminish your accomplishment in any way.  Claim a 3:14 marathon.  You did it.  GREAT JOB!!!!!  + 

+ 1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Amazing what staying the course will do

I'm still pluggin' away but didn't feel the need to post every day.  I backed off the longer runs to about 45 mins rather than 90 and run 6 days per week rather than 4-5.  Short runs are only about 3 miles.  I've improved 4 consecutive weeks and now run at or below Maf at a 12 min/mile.  Considering I was over 15 min/mile with the old method I am quite happy and convinced that this process works just fine.  Kids track season almost over and I am beyond excited to get them running at Maf 6 days per week rather than the constant repeats that they do in practice.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

BeeRunB

Great performance, NP. Net downhills aren't necessarily faster courses as a rule. They can fry your quads, taking away some of the so-called advantage. So, nice job. 

Well, with the huge net downhill I think I need to put an asterisk next to it but hit a HUGE PR this morning at the Mt Charleston marathon!!!  I kept thinking I needed to slow down, but my HRM kept saying I was actually going out really conservative.  Ended up passing quite a few folks at the end and finished 3:14:35!!!  10 minutes under my BQ!!!  I will upload the run tomorrow and post it in the race section.  I was expecting to BQ, but 3:20 was my A goal, never ever would have expected to come in under 3:15.  Super fast course!

Hilltopper72

Hilltopper

Yes it is.  Again a great run today although I have been experiencing drowsiness quite a bit these days.  Resting heart rate continues to go down but over the past week or so I've felt drowsy a lot.  I do wear a fit bit so I am on top of sleep and I did avg one hour less per night so that could be all there is, but I admit I've let the Maf creep up a bit so that could be it too.

Amazing what staying the course will do

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Been MIA a bit between work and travel.  Ran 18 miles on the TM last Thursday and traveled to Cincinnati to run the Flying Pig HM with hubby.  My next race will be my marathon, eek!!!  End of the month.

Damaris

SD_BlackHills

Morning!  Been MIA a bit between work and travel.  Ran 18 miles on the TM last Thursday and traveled to Cincinnati to run the Flying Pig HM with hubby.  My next race will be my marathon, eek!!!  End of the month.

Small world.  One of my friends just ran the Flying Pig Half Marathon in Cincinnati.  I ran a few training runs with him to help him prepare.  Good luck on your marathon!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Busy week at work between jury duty, court, etc.  Ran 7 Monday, 6 Tuesday, 12 Wednesday, and 6 last night.  All on the TM because we are in Summer for sure.  Hitting 100F heat indexes most likely.

Damaris

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

It was a great birthday week. 62 years and 62 miles for the BD week. 2nd  place male at Darkside 8 hour. 31.86 miles.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice, Ron!  And Happy Birthday!

Will run 20 on the TM today.  Last 20 was just before my meniscus tear, so I want to run one to know I can finish my marathon at the end of May.  When did I become this freaked out?  When I tore the meniscus of course, ha.

Damaris

Hilltopper72

Hilltopper

Late March I was running 15-16/min miles thinking there was something wrong with me and thinking about giving up the sport entirely.  I wasn't having any fun and I was actually getting worse with each run, not better.  I re-read Chi Running, downloaded the Spring Music App on my phone and shortened the runs to 3 miles/day rather than 4-5 90 min runs per week.  The Spring App plays popular music to a specific cadence.  It is now mid-May and my pace is 11:30/mi on avg and getting better literally by the week.  I'm having a blast and I'm adding 1.5 miles to my weekly mileage each week.  This is a testimony as to what the human body can do when you do all the right things.  I am blown away.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Happy Mothers Day

Nice, Ron!  And Happy Birthday!

Will run 20 on the TM today.  Last 20 was just before my meniscus tear, so I want to run one to know I can finish my marathon at the end of May.  When did I become this freaked out?  When I tore the meniscus of course, ha.

LOL

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Hilltopper72

Hilltopper

I had my first week of regression last week.  I think the gist of it is that I began to cheat with my heart rate based upon getting feedback on my avg pace each minute.  It became a goal to beat my record each and every workout.  I think it caught up to me and I felt tired, couldn't keep my heart rate down, a lot of drowsiness, and my legs began to feel heavy and tired.  I removed the feedback from Runkeeper and limit it just current heart rate and avg heart rate so that I don't have any other focuses during the run.  I also switched from a certain number of miles to just a timed run.  This way I am being true and honest to the process.  I did that today and felt great and feel super refreshed after the run.  Without all that other feedback it also allowed me to remain a bit more present and to enjoy the experience more rather than constantly playing games and compete with myself.

SD_BlackHills

I had my first week of regression last week.  I think the gist of it is that I began to cheat with my heart rate based upon getting feedback on my avg pace each minute.  It became a goal to beat my record each and every workout.  I think it caught up to me and I felt tired, couldn't keep my heart rate down, a lot of drowsiness, and my legs began to feel heavy and tired.  I removed the feedback from Runkeeper and limit it just current heart rate and avg heart rate so that I don't have any other focuses during the run.  I also switched from a certain number of miles to just a timed run.  This way I am being true and honest to the process.  I did that today and felt great and feel super refreshed after the run.  Without all that other feedback it also allowed me to remain a bit more present and to enjoy the experience more rather than constantly playing games and compete with myself.

It's really easy to get caught up in what your pace is.   One little trick that I've been playing recently is to not look at my watch at all or just spot check it once or twice and just simply run comfortably.  Before I check the data afterward, I will guess at my pace and heart rate.  Most of the time I'm right.  I've yet to see a run where my heart rate spiked too high (unless there was an equipment issue with the HRM).  Sometimes your pace will surprise you and will be much faster than you expected.  If it is slower, so what?  It was still a quality workout, plus you probably enjoyed it.  I'd save the competitions with yourself for structured speed work (ideally after MAF test results plateau) and races.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  I've been tapering for my marathon this Sunday, but busy at work (grrr) so not much online time.

Yeah, it's easy to get caught up in the improvements that sometimes we overdo it.  Just head back to base and you'll get back to improvements in no time.  When I train with MAF, the screen only shows HR.

Damaris

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Where are you running Sunday?

Hi, guys.  I've been tapering for my marathon this Sunday, but busy at work (grrr) so not much online time.

Yeah, it's easy to get caught up in the improvements that sometimes we overdo it.  Just head back to base and you'll get back to improvements in no time.  When I train with MAF, the screen only shows HR.

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter