Low HR Training

Stimulating Turnover (Read 335 times)

Dr. Phil talks about getting some stimulus to the nervous system during the MAF base phase by doing downhill repeats. Find a long downhill, not too steep, and do some repeats at MAF. You can either walk back up or run back up at or below MAF. 

I found another to do so by using a metronome. I know that my turnover during a race is 190-195 strides per minute. WHen I am running at a pace of 13:00, 12:00, whatever, my stride tends to be about 170.  I get on the TM, pop a metronome on (you can  find on-line ones or free) and set it to about 180-185, and keep my strides in beat. My stride shortens, but you can feel the stimulus to the turnover. There are some who say the turnover should always be the same, no matter what speed you're going, but I think mine will always be faster when racing, otherwise I will over stride.

Outside, you can just work on getting turnover up by shortening the stride. As a workout.

Well, there ya go!

--Jimmy Cool

log   prs      Crusted Salt comic #142

Good point on the reminder to mix it up a bit.  I am going to try the outside hill work

Chris

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

nice reminder... makes my neighborhood hills more meaningful...

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Ok, I did the hill workout today.  Warmup for 15 minutes then 6 runs down the hill and slower jog back up.  Seemed to be a pretty good workout.  I was clearly running faster down the hill.

Now the bad part.  Maffetone speaks of an incline that takes 10 minutes to run down.  He says if it is only takes 5 minutes that is Ok, just do not let heart rate get above MAF on the way back up.  Well, the only "hill" near me is just 1/4 mile long.  It takes about 2 minutes to run down.   I thought the incline was suitable but my garmin told me the rise in elevation was only 24 feet.  Does not seem like much.

If I could find a hill at least twice as long I think it would be better.

My part of Texas is big, it is just flat!

Chris

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Its a lot hillier down here in Austin. I have some hills that I should be able to do this on. On, a steeper rolling type that is over a mi long. Others around the corner from my house that is over 1/2 and more gradual. Glad you had a chance to get out there and try it.

bob e v

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I tried the downhill repeats close to my house today and had same issue Chris. It was lots of fun but not long enough. I'll probably have to go outside the neighborhood to a hill that I know is over 1mi long, a little bit rolling which would mean slowing down at one point to keep HR from exceeding MAF. Maybe later in the week because the top of the hill is about 2mi from my house even going the shortest route. Good warmup, but would take most of the time I have to get there. Took almost 3 min to come down steeper hill, and close to 7 to climb back up, but it was just under 1/4 long with 30 foot climb. sigh....

bob e v