Low HR Training

Long Run Nick Returns with some questions (Read 435 times)

That subject will probably be ignored by most, but I am hoping I will hear from some old friends. In a nutshell, I am soon to be 69. Have been logging running miles since 4/76. Currently at 75,539 miles. Have used LHR training in the past and need a refresher course to answer a few questions. Jimmy, I hope you see this. One may think it strange that a guy who has run so long and competed in over 450 races(to include 18 marathons and 10 ultras) would still have questions. My new goal is to run another marathon in February, which will give me having run marathons in 5 decades:70's, 80's, 90"s,2000's, and in 2013. My old friend Adam Harmer was very helpful and coached me to a BQ qualifying marathon in 2/08 --a 3:57 at age 64 1/2. I thought that was going to be my last one, but the thought of running marathons over 5 decades intrigued me and fired up my addiction. Have been consistently running since the marathon 40-50 miles per week. Had a minor Achilles problem in'10 and a bout with PF in 2011-12. Both times I have jumped on my bike(Trek Hybrid) and averaged over 100 miles per week. Currently running 30 miles a week and biking around 110 a week. FINALLY, my questions: I just started back witha new HR monitor to go with my Nike Plus GPS watch. (Have had HRM since Polar put them on the market, several Garmins and Timex GPS/HR). I really like the Nike. Does age impact as much as it appears? I ran a 8 miler yesterday and my HR avg 154 (10:17 pace avg)where as 5 yrs ago on the Same course with temps about the same (80's and humid) ran a 10:13 pace with avg HR of only 134. I know I am just getting back to running-mostly biked for a few months because of the PF. Suggestion please.. Back in my 40's and 50's my Max HR was steady around 207. I have seen it drop to the mid 190's. Haven't hammered in a long time but I would guess my max to be around 190.is this "normal"? Would like some suggestions on low HR training pace. I ran 8 miles this AM-same course same temps and slowed it way down. Avg HR 136 but the pace was 11:23. Would appreciate some guidance. I sent an email to Adam but have not heard anything. Thanks for reading all this. I look forward to some helpful feedback and will be willing to share things I have learned about running over the last 36 years. Nick
      That subject will probably be ignored by most, but I am hoping I will hear from some old friends. In a nutshell, I am soon to be 69. Have been logging running miles since 4/76. Currently at 75,539 miles. Have used LHR training in the past and need a refresher course to answer a few questions. Jimmy, I hope you see this. One may think it strange that a guy who has run so long and competed in over 450 races(to include 18 marathons and 10 ultras) would still have questions. My new goal is to run another marathon in February, which will give me having run marathons in 5 decades:70's, 80's, 90"s,2000's, and in 2013. My old friend Adam Harmer was very helpful and coached me to a BQ qualifying marathon in 2/08 --a 3:57 at age 64 1/2. I thought that was going to be my last one, but the thought of running marathons over 5 decades intrigued me and fired up my addiction. Have been consistently running since the marathon 40-50 miles per week. Had a minor Achilles problem in'10 and a bout with PF in 2011-12. Both times I have jumped on my bike(Trek Hybrid) and averaged over 100 miles per week. Currently running 30 miles a week and biking around 110 a week. FINALLY, my questions: I just started back witha new HR monitor to go with my Nike Plus GPS watch. (Have had HRM since Polar put them on the market, several Garmins and Timex GPS/HR). I really like the Nike. Does age impact as much as it appears? I ran a 8 miler yesterday and my HR avg 154 (10:17 pace avg)where as 5 yrs ago on the Same course with temps about the same (80's and humid) ran a 10:13 pace with avg HR of only 134. I know I am just getting back to running-mostly biked for a few months because of the PF. Suggestion please.. Back in my 40's and 50's my Max HR was steady around 207. I have seen it drop to the mid 190's. Haven't hammered in a long time but I would guess my max to be around 190.is this "normal"? Would like some suggestions on low HR training pace. I ran 8 miles this AM-same course same temps and slowed it way down. Avg HR 136 but the pace was 11:23. Would appreciate some guidance. I sent an email to Adam but have not heard anything. Thanks for reading all this. I look forward to some helpful feedback and will be willing to share things I have learned about running over the last 36 years. Nick

Hey Nick,

Nice that you stopped by the forum. Good to see you still out there being an athlete---adding to your prodigious longevity records. Cool

I'm not sure just how much difference there will be for you from 64 to 69 years old, in terms of slowing due to age. The slowing you are seeing could be just be a lack of fitness in your running muscles.  As for you "Is it normal?" question---it is what it is. If it's 190 then it's 190. Don't worry about normal except in relationship to your normal. For example, if your resting heart rate is normally 50, and suddenly it's 85 for no apparent reason, be worried. Or if your heart is suddenly racing to 190+ when you are jogging.

On a low HR pace----again, it is what it is if you run by heart rate. If you want me to suggest a heart rate, I would say do the treadmill test (click)I concocted to see where your MAF is these days, or get an RQ test, then work out there (if MAF training is your thing). For someone 69 who has been running for awhile it can be as high as 130 or so. 

When you're just getting back to things after injury, take your time. If you have to walk to keep at your target HR, do so. t won''t hurt. Build slowly back to your 50 mpw, and you will see your aerobic speed return. If you keep at lower HR, your more likely to avoid injury (I'm working at 120 these days at age 51). Build your aerobic system, add some tempo work after you've done so, and get to racing.

--Jimmy Cool

log   prs      Crusted Salt comic #143

Can I be Frank

Walk This Way...this way

Hi Nick,

We've missed you.
        Your undeniable love of running is a joy to witness,
        and your exploits most inspirational.

bf

Does age impact as much as it appears? I ran a 8 miler yesterday and my HR avg 154 (10:17 pace avg)where as 5 yrs ago on the Same course with temps about the same (80's and humid) ran a 10:13 pace with avg HR of only 134. I know I am just getting back to running-mostly biked for a few months because of the PF. Suggestion please.. Back in my 40's and 50's my Max HR was steady around 207. I have seen it drop to the mid 190's. Haven't hammered in a long time but I would guess my max to be around 190.is this "normal"? Would like some suggestions on low HR training pace. I ran 8 miles this AM-same course same temps and slowed it way down. Avg HR 136 but the pace was 11:23. Would appreciate some guidance. I sent an email to Adam but have not heard anything. Thanks for reading all this. I look forward to some helpful feedback and will be willing to share things I have learned about running over the last 36 years. Nick

hey cool you are still running! to answer, I also agree/think it's mostly due to un-fitness.

I find it interesting you had a maxHR of 207 in your 50's. here's hoping mine can stay as high too, then! =)

Hawt and sexy

LRN! I missed you!

I would guess that your max HR is the same, you just no longer have the ability to get moving fast enough to hit it any more. But remember, my strength is man made machines and not biological machines.

My guess is you remember the high points of how to get the hang of this again. You will be fine.

I'm touching your pants.

rarian

If your maxHR at age 55 was 205 that would have been 40 above that expected from the 220-age equation (165).  Similarly if your maxHR is 190 at age 69 it is still about 40 above that expected (150). 

I suspect it's normal for the an individual's maxHR to remain steadily above/below that expected from the 220-age equation.  However 40 above is the most extreme I've heard of. (Mine is about 20 above and has seemed to stay so for the last 10 years)

Back in my 40's and 50's my Max HR was steady around 207. I have seen it drop to the mid 190's. Haven't hammered in a long time but I would guess my max to be around 190.is this "normal"? 
                A little update. Ran a 5K this morning, first race in over 6 months and was pleased with the results. Did a 24:33 with a 176HR avg. 70 degree day, flat course. I haven't downloaded to see how height the HR got, but averaging 7:58 per mile pleases me. Fastest mile I have run in the last 6 months has been a 9:14. I guess the 75,000+mile training base helps a little. I never pushed all out and the last .3 mile was on a crappy rock infested dirt road. As I get in better shape I will do a max hr run-- the kind that you see white spots and gag to see where my max is. Glad to see some of my old friends are still around and still running. Some of the gurus from 5 yrs ago, Jesse and Adam have gone in other directions I guess. Slow but sure has continued to work for me. I rarely come across a runner who has run over 2,000 miles a yr for over 36 yrs and is still at it. I am very grateful. Make running your play. Nick

Willamona and Long Run Nick back within a week. Good week.Cool

Hawt and sexy

Jimmyb, you make me feel loved every once in a while.

I'm touching your pants.

Jimmyb, you make me feel loved every once in a while.

Cool

If Jesse and Steve return and post this week, then it might time to light a bonfire here at the LHRT forum and have a party....