Low HR Training

Hi Steve. Just Found Out About This Forum. Just Joined. Hi All! (Read 967 times)

Hey Aharmer. Could you lead me to a site that would have some good fitness indicatorworkouts. I would really like to keep tab every couple of months on what length and speed in races i could realistically race. Thanks, Mark
    Hi Mark, I don't have a website to direct you to except my own. I use the Hadd test as my primary indicator. Check out my blog post from November 14th for a little more detail on how it works, wish I knew how to link that here. I do this test a few weeks before any race so I can look back and cross reference the test with the race performance to determine what kind of shape I'm in at any point. It's extremely accurate for me. Shoot me an email if you want to discuss further or we can talk on the blog. Best of luck! AH
    www.mnultrarunner.blogspot.com

Wasatch Speedgoat

Life is short, play hard!

Thanks Steve and Aharmer. I think whats on your blog might be very well what Im looking for AH. I am going to try it Monday and start using it to gage my fitness. If i have any questions I'll shoot ya an email. Granted though over the course of the next 5 days I will be consuming enough holiday meals/treats to feed this whole forum. Btw twins due in 3-4 weeks. I am hoping my training doesn't suffer to bad from that either but if need be I can function off of 4-5 hrs 3-4 times a week. I am at about 6hrs running a week(about 30miles) and gradually building to 8-10 hrs. For the fathers out there how bad were you set back training wise when your newborns arrived. Happy holidays Mark

Hawt and sexy

Oh, I guess this group needs to know what I am doing. I MAF to basebuild and then hit Pfitz to peak. i am trying for a BQ. For me that is a 3:45. My goal race is on May 4th in Jersey. I think I might try something besides Pfitz this time though. i just don't know what yet. Maybe Daniels maybe something else. I gots time.

I'm touching your pants.

BeeRunB

Oh, I guess this group needs to know what I am doing. I MAF to basebuild and then hit Pfitz to peak. i am trying for a BQ. For me that is a 3:45. My goal race is on May 4th in Jersey. I think I might try something besides Pfitz this time though. i just don't know what yet. Maybe Daniels maybe something else. I gots time.
            Keep us posted, Willimona. It's always good to know about experiments where other programs are getting combined with MAF training. The thing I took from the Pfitz program were the LT runs for 20-40 minutes between 80-90% MHR (I zeroed in on a 87-90%). Very stimulating, and the stress isn't too much at all. Fits in with the Maffetone anaerobic phase (nothing over 90%). He recommends running long runs between 10-20% slower than goal pace. The weird thing about that is that anyone can just pick a pace, and might not fit in with what is possible. That;s where the use of the McMillan Calculator comes in. Popping in recent race times, to make sure you're not picking a pace that's faster than you can do. I have it in the back of my mind to eventually be able to my long runs at 20% of goal pace staying under MAF. I figure if that is happening, I'm in Fatburnia. Pfitzinger gives a spread of 73-83% MHR on long runs. My MAF is 67% MHR. I've tried those 73-83% runs--you can get going pretty fast. Rest is in order after those. His idea of running the last few miles of your long runs at 10% of goal pace is stimulating and helps strengthen the mind. Though an eye has to be kept on the overdoing it factor. Good luck. Have a great new year. --Jimmy