Low HR Training

Running by Feel (Read 813 times)

C-R

I think we've discussed this in the past but thought it would be interesting to start once more.

I haven't worn the HRM since my marathon a week or so past. Not by any great conspiracy, just laziness. What I notice is that if I pay attention to my running, I can tell when I get to the zone moving from easy to something different. This excludes the track and interval training as I just run these hard.

I kind of like it and may only use the HRM (but I will use my GPS - no way this geek will give up all of his technology) for MAF tests.

Anyone else try this? Results? Thoughts?

I am in a zen kind of mood these days. Must be something about me starting my Tai Chi once more.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

An interesting experiment would be to wear the HRM, but don't put the HR readings on the front screen where you can see it. You don't want HR to influence your run or feel. Record your HR data after the run, see if you start to run in the same zone all the time, or if it varies at the same feel, and see if you start to progress at the same feel.

--Jimmy

log   prs      Crusted Salt comic #142

C-R

An interesting experiment would be to wear the HRM, but don't put the HR readings on the front screen where you can see it. You don't want HR to influence your run or feel. Record your HR data after the run, see if you start to run in the same zone all the time, or if it varies at the same feel, and see if you start to progress at the same feel.

--Jimmy

I like the idea. I need to adjust the Garmin but its doable and provides a feedback loop.

Well I guess we have the making of a full blown one person test lab. Just for disclosure, I am not purely MAFing right now but trying to stay within van Aaken's idea (<150) but in reality more like 140 to 145.

Jimmy - you up for adding a datapoint to the discussion? You like to play mad scientist as well.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

What do you mean "add a datapoint" to the discussion?

C-R

What do you mean "add a datapoint" to the discussion?

Statistical euphemism. Each person involved would represent a single datapoint so joing would add a "datapoint" for us to determine if there is a trend or useful information from the test.

If you mean "run by feel", not yet. Must--remain--staunch--an--not--give--in--to--temptation.

C-R

If you mean "run by feel", not yet. Must--remain--staunch--an--not--give--in--to--temptation.

The Dark Side of the Force is strong.

On the road back

I might be interested in at least considering it. What do you have in mind?

MTA: could I be any more non-committal?? 

2013 Goals: Run more. Smile while I do it. Complete 2 marathons in a year. (1 down, 1 to go)

wbr

I tried running without my hr monitor the other day. Kinda reminded me of when my wife went to visit her sister.

Happy

I tried running without my hr monitor the other day. Kinda reminded me of when my wife went to visit her sister.

LOL!! Freedom? 

Sorry guys, I am not in this, I paid too much for the Garmin and HR gear to not use it!! 

Carmel, if you have the F305, you can change the data fields and not see the HR while running. It will still record it if you wear the sensor. 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

On the road back

Sorry guys, I am not in this, I paid too much for the Garmin and HR gear to not use it!! 

Oh, I'd still use it.  I would just analyze the data after the run to see if the measured results match my perceived effort of the run.

2013 Goals: Run more. Smile while I do it. Complete 2 marathons in a year. (1 down, 1 to go)

GMoney

Promised I wouldn't do this, but I'm checking in from vacation and saw this thread.  Too good to pass up.

Running by feel can be liberating, if you know the feelings that you're looking for.  Just be careful if you decide to enroll in the school of "If it feels good then do it".  It's very easy to overdo the intensity this way.  Jimmy's suggestion is a good one if you're just starting out.  Running with the HRM on but without the alarm and without the HR reading on the screen will let you check the data after the fact.  When you're don you may be surprised to find that your HR is vastly different than what you thought it was.  Sometimes I don't even run with a watch - just set out for a fixed distance and run at the pace that feels right without regard for pace.  When you let go of your sense of pace you can really let go of you ego - makes it easier to keep the intensity in check.

Unlike training, I strongly endorse racing by feel under all circumstances.

If you want to know more about running by feel and what you might want to look for, check out George Beinhorn's blog www.fitnessintuition.com.  He's all about feeling (and I mean that in a very good way).

Shiksa

Aerobigal! (thx Jimmy!)

It's funny that you mention this, because I'm doing that now.  I've decided not to wear my HR monitor until after my 30-miler. 

For one thing, it is having problems.  I need to contact Garmin, and I just haven't.  The other reason is because I think being dependent upon it is hindering my progress.  It adds a level of stress that I just haven't been able to get over.  So, I'm giving this a try.  So far, by feel, and only occasionally looking at the garmin for pace, I'm right on target for pace when I wore it all the time.

Stacy
                            I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://stacyruns.wordpress.com/

On the road back

Here is the result of my one run experiment...

First 2 miles:

FEEL:  Very relaxed and I thought I was probably running mid 11s with an AHR/MHR somewhere around 145/152.

DATA:  First mile was 11:29 with AHR/MHR of 135/147, second mile was 11:36 with 150/155.

Mile 3:

FEEL:  Talk test?  Check.  Perceived effort felt like it was rising a bit and I thought I was probably pretty leveled in the mid 150s.

DATA:  I did increase speed to 11:02.  My AHR/MHR was 155/162.

Mile 4:

FEEL:  Still felt very good so I picked the pace up a tad.  I wasn't sure how much faster (this is what G was talking about when he said it's easy to overdo this because I felt like I could have really picked it up, but didn't), but I figured probably something in the mid 10s.  I estimated my HR to be 158/170.

DATA:  Pace did increase by almost a full minute - 10:12.  My HR was actually 162/174.

Overall:

FEEL:  During the first 3 miles I felt like I'd have a final AHR/MHR of something like 149/155, but when I decided to run the last mile at a faster pace, I came home expecting to see 154/170.

DATA:  AHR/MHR for the run was 150/174.

I was pleased at how close the data matched the feel.  This gives me even more confidence to not have to rely on the "minute by minute" results during a run and just enjoy myself without worrying about if I'm too fast or too slow or too whatever.

C-R

Yapper - very interesting indeed.

I'm now on the fourth day of no Garmin. Not on purpose, just keep forgetting to put it in my gear bag. Since I have no data per se, I'm using a talk and even a singing test (can't carry a tune but when I'm running it's quiet enough not to offend or scare the general population). If I can sing and not feel an impact I seem to be in the zone. My times have slowed a bit but its also quite humid and that matches expectations.

Next week I will wear the HRM but only look at it after the fact to see how my perception correlates to the data.

G - you are spot on about going too fast and it feeling easy. I have to consciously pay closer attention during runs for the telling signs. Instead of my Garmin chirping, I look for elevated breathing, more perspiration, inability to sing a song, or a general anxious feeling. I think I am getting some good feedback so far and it keeps me focused on my run and doesn't let my mind wander off the track - too far.