Low HR Training

Importance of Diet? (Read 257 times)

I've sticking with the LHR training, and so far feel like it is getting easier, though I've not really been at it that long. One thing I haven't really followed much, a few weeks in, is the diet portion of the MAF training. How important is the not eating 3 hours before workout guideline to performance gain? Will it really slow my progress to not follow that portion of the training? Anyone else ignore that guideline and still have good progress? Thanks!
    Shiksa

I just started so I can't really answer. However, I figure all that research can't be wrong. I'm willing to give it a go. I do have to admit though that it is very very hard for me to not eat for 3 hours prior. Sometimes I cannot make it that long, but I do my best. I like to be an all-day grazer if possible. My training time varies and it's tough for me to know when I will train and how close it will be to a meal time. I have lost 1 lb though since I started last week. If I was in this to lose weight, I think it would probably be a fantastic way to do it. I'm looking forward to hearing from others.

Stacy
      I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

newgeneration

I have been following advice I think I got from Jesse, and that is to run first thing in the morning. It is easiest not to eat before. Also, you can eat within 3 hours, just avoid carbs. (at least this is my understanding). Something like a handful of nuts or an egg or a little breakfast sausage can hold you until you finish your run, and then you can eat!
        newgeneration

accidental double post...sorry
          Shiksa

I do stick to pretty much solid protein if I have to eat before 3 hours. I had two boiled eggs today and some turkey slices. I followed up my run with mashed potatoes, bread and butter, string cheese, and cereal. Surprised I worked hard for those carbs.

Stacy
            I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

Just Be

For what it's worth, I've noticed that if I eat too soon before a run (but long enough not to cause the obvious cramping) that my pace will suffer. I attribute this to the increased bloodflow demands of the digestive tract organs. Maybe that's why? My best low hr training times are when I'm neither too hungry nor too full.

Master of Inconsistency

I try not to eat anything before my runs but do have a cup o' joe with sugar in the AM . I know this is a no-no but can't help myself. I'm pretty sure the reasoning is that you are training your body to burn fat as your primary fuel instead of glycogen, (carbs), thus pushing back the wall in long races (over 18 miles). I don't believe it will hurt your pace at a given Heart rate but I'm not positive. Greg

Ain't  Wastin' Time No More !