Low HR Training

van Aaken compared to Mafetone (Read 773 times)

C-R

Probably covered or discussed already but I could not locate. Mafetone ascribes to the 180 - age for HR where Van Aaken says to stay between 130 and 150. Seems like Van Aaken offers more opportunity for variety given a long view of training and health. Anyone switch between the two and notice any differences? Am I splitting hairs. Ive been MAF since last summer and just finished Van Aakens book and am thinking of working in his range. Thoughts comments or ideas?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

gregw

Probably covered or discussed already but I could not locate. Mafetone ascribes to the 180 - age for HR where Van Aaken says to stay between 130 and 150. Seems like Van Aaken offers more opportunity for variety given a long view of training and health. Anyone switch between the two and notice any differences? Am I splitting hairs. Ive been MAF since last summer and just finished Van Aakens book and am thinking of working in his range. Thoughts comments or ideas?
      I've read both books and I didn't really see any divergence. Van Aaken seemed like a subset of Maffetone. VA doesn't really get into as many details. Van Aaken's book was also written before we had reliable, portable HRMs, so I think you have to take the pulses he prescribes with a grain of salt. I think he was just trying to give people any idea of just how slow he meant (at a time when easy running wasn't in vogue).

run-easy-race-hard

I just know from looking at people's results that those who really had aerobic problems really got nowhere by using MAF estimates much above 180-age so anything that pushed it higher did not bear the fruit that Maffetone's estimates gave. For those that were already in very good aerobic shape, 5 or 10 extra beats didn't seem to make much difference but in some cases was enough to bring about the typical overuse injuries.
          The so called experts do have varying opinions on this. McMillan recommends 75% of max HR for easy runs, and allows 80-85% near the end of the run. 80-85% seems a bit too aggressive to me, but I'm sure it works fine for some. I came down with HRM fatigue a couple months back. I got sick and tired of looking at the thing all the time. I wear the strap twice a week just to monitor where I'm at. I only glance at it occasionally. My pace with the HRM (MAF or below) typically matches my pace without it. A year ago, when I was running 11 minute miles, this probably wouldn't have worked since the slightest incline or pace increase would cause my HR to soar.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Like Greg said....Dr. Van Aaken's method comes from back before we had any HR monitoring technology and my thought was he is just basically telling you to keep it slow! He had world class athletes running 10 mpm pace in training, but some workouts were an hour run on and off for 24 hours! He basically pushed the aerobic method with very minor speed tune-ups. I have been following Van Aaken since i first read his book back in the late 70's and of course would also fall right into Maffetone's plan. Think of it this way, if he has an Olympic athlete running at 130 bpm, what should "we" be running at? Follow Maffetone for a year, then and only then should you begin anything fast. I usually train at around 140 and I'm 57, but I also have been running competitively for over 30 years. Now that the racing season is over, I am focusing on 130 which has me doing a lot of walking, but man do it feel great! In a few months I'll start some hills, then a tempo run a week, but all else will be at 140 (which feels real easy to me). Good luck, Steve

Life is short, play hard!

BeeRunB

Maffetone is a much better guitarist/singer/composer. That should say it all.
              RER

Maffetone is a much better guitarist/singer/composer. That should say it all.
                ah. I love playing Mozart piano pieces because of the modal tones, which the Beatles brought back to pop music. A lot of Maffetone's songs have that modal tone, which is great. van Aaken's work is outdated. It was great at the time, but we're coming up on 2009. I'm not sure why van Aaken's name is even on this forum (and for that matter, Mittleman's too). Certainly Lydiard's work is much more relevant (although he was ahead of his time, his work is now outdated too). Just my opinion.
                BeeRunB

ah. I love playing Mozart piano pieces because of the modal tones, which the Beatles brought back to pop music. A lot of Maffetone's songs have that modal tone, which is great. van Aaken's work is outdated. It was great at the time, but we're coming up on 2009. I'm not sure why van Aaken's name is even on this forum (and for that matter, Mittleman's too). Certainly Lydiard's work is much more relevant (although he was ahead of his time, his work is now outdated too). Just my opinion.
                  The beauty of the Beatles is that they didn't know any music theoory, nor how to read a note. It was pure talent and intuition. Same for Mozart really--the man could hear completed symphonies in his head like he was listening to a radio. He had the knowledge to translate it. --jimmy
                  GMoney

Since this thread seems to have moved into the direction of music, I'll ask: Does anyone knows when Dr. Phil first began working with The Red Hot Chili Peppers?
                    Rudolf

I am personaly very glad that Aaken topics do exist and I did all the reading from this forum on it, I do not see any of it as outdated, perhaps it is all in the interpretations of informations, or picking or skipping of them. Big grin
                      RER

Since this thread seems to have moved into the direction of music, I'll ask: Does anyone knows when Dr. Phil first began working with The Red Hot Chili Peppers?
                        Not sure, but Maffetone's first album had the Red Hot Chili Peppers guitar guy play on several songs (I guess a couple of songs on the second album too, which I just received Smile), and it's a nice touch. To stay on topic, it's good to read all about everything, all the time. So, van Aaken's material is important in that regard. Subjects like this one (HRM training/aerobic training/aerobic base/etc.) evolve into better, more practical and well defined subjects as more generations of researchers, clinicians, coaches, etc. pick up on previous research.
                          On Monday I googled 'Oxygen key to health' to see if the good doc was right about that. His whole system is actually a health promoting system, not just an athletic prescription for faster running, and it is all based on the premise that getting more oxygen into the system is what is needed for health. Slow jogging just happens to be the best method in the good doctor's opinion. Anyway, the results were interesting. There was a lot of holisitic crap people are trying to sell, but there was interesting research in there too. Seems greater oxygen intake may actually stave off cancer as the good doctor hypothesized, and for the same reason as well, that cancer can only grow in an aerobic enviornment. In reading his book, that was the iffiest part for me to swallow. If he was right on that, I give him a pass on all the other less controversial issues. I am living by his motto, ultrastevep's tag line "Run slowly, run daily, drink moderately, and don't eat like a pig."

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.