Low HR Training

MAF to Half Marathon to Marathon Training (HELP) (Read 348 times)

Kenny B.

I am going to be starting a 12 week MAF program after Philly's marathon. This year I averaged so far 38 miles per week and during 18 weeks plus another 8 weeks (2 marathon) the average was 43 peaking at 55 miles per week with 4 long runs of 20 miles. After the 12 week MAF I am going to train 11 weeks for a Half Marathon and then 12-28 weeks for 1,2 or 3 marathons. (we will see) The half marathon training I plan on peaking at 46 miles per week with an average of 37 miles. For the marathon training after the Half I plan on using PFit'z 18/70 but probably will cut it down to 18/65 that is peaking at 65 miles for the week the average probably closer to 55. Question : when doing the 12 week MAF how many miles should I look to run per week (peaking at) and what should my long run get up to. I am thinking peaking at 50 with an average of 38 miles per week. Long run peaking at 15. I will be doing minutes instead of miles, but still need a benchmark. Should I be doing more or less? Thanks,
    "A true master is not suffering, but simply experiencing a set of circumstance that you call insufferable."
    BeeRunB

No one can tell you that. Do what you can do. Start with a weekly and long run mileage you know you can do and start building at a sane rate (5-7% per week, adding the extra to the long and medium long runs). Stay in touch with your MAF tests. If you are feeling overtrained, sick, or have lots of aches and pains, back off. If you are feeling healthy and good, then keep building. Always listening to your body, taking easy days after hard (higher mileage) days, and a rest day every week, two or three rest days if you need it. Pfitzinger training is very stressful, it rides the edge of health and over-training. Pfitzinger has you doing intervals, LT runs, tempos, aerobic runs that almost approach the lactate threshhold, and easy days at 70%HRR, which can be way over MAF for some. Keep in mind that you want have a solid base before doing this training, and only do the 70 mpw plan if you can do AT LEAST 70 using MAF. Good luck. --Jimmy
      Kenny B.

No one can tell you that. Do what you can do. Start with Keep in mind that you want have a solid base before doing this training, and only do the 70 mpw plan if you can do AT LEAST 70 using MAF. Good luck. --Jimmy
        Here is the answer I wanted. So I am looking at Pfitz plan but not at 70 but 65. So I plan on hitting 65 under MAF but then going into HM training peaking at 46. I should have a great base for HM training and Full after that. Thanks,
        "A true master is not suffering, but simply experiencing a set of circumstance that you call insufferable."
        BeeRunB

I've done the Pfitzinger training. Come taper time, you're ready for three weeks of complete rest. :>) --Jimmy
          Kenny B.

I've done the Pfitzinger training. Come taper time, you're ready for three weeks of complete rest. :>) --Jimmy
            I am doing Pfitz now. I ran Toronto using 18/55 and now his multiple marathon program 8 weeks for philly. I felt really good after Toronto and really just jumped right into his multiple program.