Low HR Training

Rest, Recovery, Tapering, and Overtraining (Read 4662 times)

This is a great thread. Can this be made into a sticky or something so it doesn't get lost. I can use the information from the links in my coaching.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
    Shiksa

Thanks Jimmy. I've been thinking a lot about this because I'm thinking about "time spent at MAF" vs. mileage. So, I've been tweaking my training and thinking about what to do after my 1/2 marathon this month.

Stacy
      I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

run-easy-race-hard

This is a great thread. Can this be made into a sticky or something so it doesn't get lost. I can use the information from the links in my coaching.
        done!
          I ordered Tim Noakes 'The Lore of Running' off the internet a week ago and it just arrived at work today - all 1,000 pages of it. It looks like it has some very solid content though, gives a real insight into the science behind running and how the body works, etc. Looks a lot similar to the recent topics posted here! Hank

Just running for the fun of it!

Hawt and sexy

Wow. Um, Jimmy, we now kinda train the same, and it looks like we both got there intuitively. Are you my brother from another mother?

I'm touching your pants.

BeeRunB

x

Jimmy, I have been lurking on the MAF training for about 6 months back at Cool Running. First, my sincere thanks to you, Jesse and the rest of the gang for the invaluable information. It has really helped me keep my head about me with my running program. Not to give the too long history, I started running again back 6 month's ago. I am 53 year old male weighing in at 226. I have the worst feet ever! Over pronater and flat footed. I wear orthotics and run in motion control shoes. This last December I had a set back with my old orthotics breaking down and creating some foot and leg pain. With a new pair of orthotics and the MAF training, I am giving running another go and thus far everything is back on track. I have been following the 10% rule for weekly volume increase. needless to say, I am only up to about 15 mpw since the injury. A friend of mine, who is an ultra runner herself and a coach, told me to keep increases slow because of my feet and weight. My body needs time to condition my skeletal system to adjust and build stronger bone for the increase stress put upon it by running. Therefore, I have been logging more miles this quarter on the treadmill and crosstraining with a Precore AMT and elliptical. My question is regarding rest and recovery. On nonrunning days, I have been logging in time crosstraining. Usually about 45 - 60 minutes. Even on running days, if I am running an easy 3 mile, I will go to the AMT in order to get another 30 minutes or more of endurance and MAF training. What I'm not sure about is how much rest do I need if I am keeping my HR at my MAF zone? At this low heart rate and this low volume, are the muscles overloaded that much? Since I am well below my AT, how much stress am I putting on the muscles and how do I gauge my needs? Thanks, from a true beginner. Doug
                "Rule of Too's: Too long, too hard, too much, too soon" Anonymous
                BeeRunB

x

I'm not sure what others have experienced, but 100 running points are more stressful from a training load perspective (to me at least) than 100 swimming or biking points. Swimming and biking are a lot less taxing on the body, and I suspect the same could be said about the elliptical (I don't do the elliptical).

Hawt and sexy

The training load caused by running would be higher than all of the sports you listed. The reason is running is the only weight bearing sport in the list. The rest of the activities listed have the body supported by another medium and not self supported. This load bearing is what makes running tough and not for the faint of heart. You don't come to running because it is all cotton candy and pixie sticks; you come to running because you like cotton candy and pixie sticks.

I'm touching your pants.

Slow-smooth-fast

I am doing maf training so pretty much asll my workouts are at the same rpe, though somedays I do feel better than others so that will alter it I suppose. Is there a certain amount of load I should be turning out each week? How often do I increase load etc? This seems like a really useful tool but at the moment all I am doing is just putting in the amount of time at each level, and that is it - it doesnt actually mean anything to me.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

C-R

Jimmy, Tried to access the spreadsheet and could not get access. Is it still open?

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

x

RER

==Jimmy
                              This thread has good material; if people just followed some of these simple rules. But I think all these issues are addressed with HRM training, when properly done. Your monitor becomes your training partner and happy friend. Your MAF test becomes your coach, keeping you on the right training course for more speed while preventing overtraining. And a great aerobic base keeps your body healthy, so tapering, rest and recovery is easier and more effective. I liked Maffetone's Overtraining piece better because it discusses the earliest stage of overtraining, catching the problem before you're there and the damage is done. That's the point we should be aware of most so we can make the appropriate changes -- an overall benefit of the HRM. And there's a good companion article for women on amenorrhea and overtraining written by Coralee Thompson, MD (I hate it when men write articles about women's problems). ...Jimmy, your molecule graphic looks nice -- like the "ah" feeling we get in our brains (the graphic looks like receptor sites in the brain). But I really liked your eggs. Where did they go?