Low HR Training

Low HR Training (Read 8350 times)

2011 Redding (CA)

"Please note that if you're below about 25 years old or above 55 or so, you really need to be ready to make adjustments to formulas." Jesse ... I'm 65 years old. What "adjustments" need to be made to the "180-age" formula"

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)

run-easy-race-hard

"Please note that if you're below about 25 years old or above 55 or so, you really need to be ready to make adjustments to formulas." Jesse ... I'm 65 years old. What "adjustments" need to be made to the "180-age" formula"
      There's no set answer to that question, but generally you would be adding at least 5 beats. slowgino would be your best mentor for what to do. You may want to look at a few of his posts in some of these top "sticky" threads.

2011 Redding (CA)

Thanks Jesse. Your many posts have been a tremendous help. I'll do as you suggest. Happy New Year and much running success in 2009.

2011 Redding Marathon (CA),  2011 Yakima Marathon (WA),  2011 Eugene Marathon (OR),  2011 Newport Marathon (OR)

2011 Pacific Crest Marathon (OR),  2011 Smith Rock Summer Classic Half (OR),  2011 Haulin' Aspen Trail Half (OR)

2011 Running is for the Birds 10Km (OR),  2011 Sunriver Marathon (OR)

rhetorician

hi

have lurked on and off for a while, but some poor progress has prompted me to return. So here's the thing: I'm 45, about 142lbs, and 5'3 (female) and have ben running (this time!) consistently for almost a year. I could do with losing about 8lbs (although I am fairly muscular), and usually run about 30 miles a week.

I am working on a rough HR Max of about 178 (+ 5 as I have been running for a while), but all in all I'm now running at about 132 ave (in 2 weeks this has become much easier to do with no effect on pace). My pace is about a 12m/m. I am planning on doing this for about 3 months - I no longer walk/run and my running is genuinely easy.

Two questions:

1. how strict do I have to be? e.g. 2-3 beats over is OK, or not? given that I am working off estimates anyway, I can't see that this matters that much

2. as I improve I am finding that it takes me longer to get up to target HR and that I don't have to slow down to maintain it: should I (a) lower target heart rate or (b) increase pace to keep same HR?

I've been doing the former the last couple of weeks as I think my initial HR was a bit too high.

Final question - I figure that you need a good bit of mileage to reap the benefits, but also some rest. I usually run 6 days a week. Is this OK for LHR training?

Thanks very much

2012 goals

lose 8lbs

run injury free

run 3000k

run sub 60 min 10k

run 2 hour half

2013 goals

run 1750 miles

run injury free

sub 55 10k

sub 25 5k

sub 2 hour half

In the first post of this thread I read:

"Here is his book, which I recommend reading first: http://www.pccoach.com/products/books/book_fit_t4e.htm Another book of his, which is basically the same book re-written is here: http://tinyurl.com/yoqxmj"

Unfortunately, the first link doesn't work anymore.

The second one links to The Maffetone Method, but I wonder to which book the first link was pointing.

I think that The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing is yet another rewrite of that book?

Here in Belgium, both books are available, so I'm wondering which are the differences, and which you should recommend.

(Slow Burn, by Stu Mittleman, another book mentioned in the first post, is also available here...)

Running in Belgium
            Ann

BeeRunB

"Here is his book, which I recommend reading first: http://www.pccoach.com/products/books/book_fit_t4e.htm Another book of his, which is basically the same book re-written is here: http://tinyurl.com/yoqxmj"

The second one links to The Maffetone Method, but I wonder to which book the first link was pointing.

I think that The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing is yet another rewrite of that book?

Here in Belgium, both books are available, so I'm wondering which are the differences, and which you should recommend.

(Slow Burn, by Stu Mittleman, another book mentioned in the first post, is also available here...)

There are probably "retired links" around. Most likely that pointed to Dr. Phil's classic "Training For Endurance."  The Big Book covers everything that was in that book.  The Big Book is more comprehensive in scope than The Maffetone Method---it includes almost everything he's ever written about. The Maffetone Method is a shorter read, and is just as good.

--Jimmy Cool

Read the Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing first;  if you like it read:

The Big Book of Health and Fitness.

Chris

Thank you both... I've ordered the Big book of Endurance Training and Racing...

Maybe that I buy the other Big Book when we are in the States in summer... the difference in price is huge, so the second can wait (I have loads of other books on my to-be-read pile.)

Running in Belgium
                  Ann

Trailglover63

Sorry, wrong thread!