Low HR Training

Maffetone's articles (Read 390 times)

RER

Jimmy, this should go with our discussion about Maffetone's website, but I'm starting it new since I can't find that thread. (OK, for Jimmy it's "Phil's" website Smile) www.philmaffetone.com Here are the articles I wanted to refer to: Want Speed? Slow Down! A newly edited article on building the aerobic system and burning body fat. The Ultimate Heart Rate Monitor Guide! -- free to members! INTERVIEWS: Dr. Phil's Runner's World Magazine-UK interview is now here! Dr. Phil's interview with Will Cooper on endurance. The one about athlete deaths from another thread is on the home page (called Athlete's: Fit But Unhealthy. Is death part of the game) His new site is mmmmuuuuucccccchh easier to navigate through. DavidD
    lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

Where do I sign up? 7 Ways to Grow & Repair Your Brain by Dr. Coralee Thompson and Dr. Phil Maffetone Want a better brain? Don't wait. Start improving your brain today! Just reading this article is a first step. © 2007 Philip Maffetone and Coralee Thompson www.philmaffetone.com I highly respect Dr. Maffetone, so don't take me wrong, please! Hey, I even enjoy the music. Wink lg
      ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
      Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
      ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
      RER

Where do I sign up? 7 Ways to Grow & Repair Your Brain by Dr. Coralee Thompson and Dr. Phil Maffetone Want a better brain? Don't wait. Start improving your brain today! Just reading this article is a first step. © 2007 Philip Maffetone and Coralee Thompson www.philmaffetone.com I highly respect Dr. Maffetone, so don't take me wrong, please! Hey, I even enjoy the music. Wink lg
        The brain stuff is great. When I saw his show last year I spoke with him afterwards about the brain studies he and his wife(?) were doing (she was a traditional MD). Great stuff, and I hope they publish it. Some of that is in the 'music and sports' interview. My undergrad minor was music (I still play classical piano), so the brain/music combo is right up my alley. And most of his music is superb. I forgot to mention that you need to sign up (don't know if that was a real question, lg) to get all the "member" articles. Then you'll get an email once or twice a month with the new articles on the website. I sent the web guy an email asking if there could be a separate forum topic for endurance athletes.
        lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

The brain stuff is great. When I saw his show last year I spoke with him afterwards about the brain studies he and his wife(?) were doing (she was a traditional MD). Great stuff, and I hope they publish it. Some of that is in the 'music and sports' interview. My undergrad minor was music (I still play classical piano), so the brain/music combo is right up my alley. And most of his music is superb. I forgot to mention that you need to sign up (don't know if that was a real question, lg) to get all the "member" articles. Then you'll get an email once or twice a month with the new articles on the website. I sent the web guy an email asking if there could be a separate forum topic for endurance athletes.
          David, Thanks for the follow-up. Thanks also for taking my remarks in positive light (I felt a bit guilty, being so flip. It's a little risky in a forum setting, especially with a legend!) I'm sure Dr. Maffetone would be the first to acknowledge that a little self-depreciation is a healthy thing. You're fortunate to have met him "in the flesh"! The mind/body connection is certainly not lost on me. I could certainly stand some improvement in the area, however. I always look forward to reading your posts, and remember you from the "cool running" days. I haven't an iota of musical ability, but absolutely love Chopin's work. Say, i've got a question about your recent "ACE" observations (in the other thread). Let me get my thoughts together, and post something over there. Paul
          ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
          Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
          ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)
          RER

David, Thanks for the follow-up. Thanks also for taking my remarks in positive light (I felt a bit guilty, being so flip. It's a little risky in a forum setting, especially with a legend!) I'm sure Dr. Maffetone would be the first to acknowledge that a little self-depreciation is a healthy thing. You're fortunate to have met him "in the flesh"! The mind/body connection is certainly not lost on me. I could certainly stand some improvement in the area, however. I always look forward to reading your posts, and remember you from the "cool running" days. I haven't an iota of musical ability, but absolutely love Chopin's work. Paul
            Yes, the mind-body connection is very important for all of us. Using a HRM can give us a clue about how powerful the brain/mind can be. For example, I sometimes run past a farm with a couple of bad dogs, and they've only occasionally run after me. But just the experience of it raises my heart rate 5-6 beats even though I'm running the same pace (maybe even slower since it's downhill).