Low HR Training

LHRT with no HR Monitor! (Read 38 times)

Slow and Steady

Ack! So I'm out of town for a conference for a week. Was excited about this for some time as it means I'll have more free time than usual since I don't have any family responsibilities here. I was planning on a treadmill test as well. I ran yesterday morning (before I left) and made sure I packed my HR monitor chest strap in my bag. But just now I looked, and can't seem to find my HR monitor watch. I must've left it at home.

Crap!

So on the one hand I'm really peeved. But on the other hand...no, I'm still peeved. But if I had a third hand, I would see that this could be a good thing, a chance for me to still get in a lot of volume but practice listening to my body and running what 'feels' like LHRT. So I'll probably err on the slow side while putting in a solid 8-10 hour week of running.

This weekend I was also planning on running a 5-hour long run (marathon on May 4). I could expect maybe 18-20 miles at MAF HR in 5 hours. But now...hmm, I'm wondering if I should do something else, like just have a "time trial" of sorts, where I can practice running what I think is my marathon pace and see how it feels, how I do. What do you all think?

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

BeeRunB

Hey Eric,

Running naked!

How fast do you think you'll be running your marathon? Is it 5 hours?  5 hours is a long time, and most likely there's not much benefit after 3, except mentally (according to what I've read in studies about aerobic stimulation). But there's a lot to be said for the mental game. Perhaps, it's the most important part, or equally so.

You could do a progression. First third at MAF, then the next third slowly progressing to marathon pace or HR, then the last third at marathon pace. 7-7-6 for twenty. It's a hard run, but it gets your mind used to running MRP with tired legs. It's also fun. It also might bring you in at closer to the total time you'll be running the marathon, which most likely is less than 5 hours. Proceed after thinking it out.

Enjoy the conference.

--Jimmy 

Slow and Steady

Well I went out for my first run this morning, and was shaking a "scorpion" out of my shoe, and whaddayaknow, the "scorpion" was my HR watch! So woohoo for me.

Thanks for answering my HR questions about super long run training. Yeah I was pretty much expecting that after 3 hours I'd probably be walking to keep my HR under 131, so I like your suggestion. I'll have to ruminate on it and think of how I wanna do it, but I do like the idea of starting at MAF and doing that for at least the first hour or two.

As for my pace, jeez I dunno. I mean, my slowest marathon was a 5:18. I'd like to think I could run this one under 5 hours, but since I've been running almost exclusively at a 14- to 15-minute pace since November, I'll have to see. Stay tuned!

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

I'll go with what jimmyb said. Progression run is great! Just don't do it every week :P

OliviaD

You can try some heart rate variability devices during the marathon or even during your workout and running sessions. They will help you keep track of your autonomic function as well as the responsiveness of your cardiac system to the same.

farareaa

No reason provided
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/