Low HR Training

N00b says what? (Read 27 times)

obiebyke

Hi guys!

I'm Ray. I've been lurking around here for a while and finally joined the group. My deal: I'm F/33 and slow as heck, with a hard time building a routine. Biggest problem: I have no idea how to run truly easy. I'm hoping LHR training will help me with that, making me healthier and happier. Plus it's a good excuse for some new gear and playing with data.

I've been running with a Forerunner 10, so I ordered a TomTom Cardio Runner last night. First order of business: MaxHR test. Second order of business: MAF test. This is going to be sad...

One question/worry I have is that I live in Minnesota. We'll see how the optical HRM holds up as the cold sets in.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Welcome to Turtleland. Where time on feet gets you the brass ring.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

obiebyke

Thanks runnerclay! My TomTom came today and it's gorgeous. I'm playing with it a bit and planning a MaxHR test tomorrow.

obiebyke

Okey. Here we go with the questions.

My resting heart rate is 66. I did a MaxHR test workout today using the sticky and got 193.

Using the sticky's way of calculating zones, my 70% is 154.9 (190-66, calculate 70%, add back in 66).

But if I use the 180 style formula, my max aerobic HR is 132 (180-33(my age)-10(meds)-5(outta shape)).

That's a huge disparity. What HR should I use as my max for LHR training?

Thanks!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Start with the maff 132 since you have not been running and are on meds.

Okey. Here we go with the questions.

My resting heart rate is 66. I did a MaxHR test workout today using the sticky and got 193.

Using the sticky's way of calculating zones, my 70% is 154.9 (190-66, calculate 70%, add back in 66).

But if I use the 180 style formula, my max aerobic HR is 132 (180-33(my age)-10(meds)-5(outta shape)).

That's a huge disparity. What HR should I use as my max for LHR training?

Thanks!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

BeeRunB

Hey Obie, just to add to Ron's helpful advice: walking helps. You might find staying at 132 might be difficult, especially in the summer. If you have to walk, do so, it adds to the aerobic fitness. Even scheduling long walks isn't a bad thing. I've done periods of walking and improved speed at MAF while not only walking, but running. If you can't walk fast enough to get your HR up to MAF  then use MAF-10, or whatever works.

obiebyke

Thanks, jimmy and clay.

I actually consulted with Docket and settled on a MAF HR of 140--I have been running, just not a consistent number of days a week. The heat is definitely a factor, and I find myself walking hills and sloooow running the rest. I'm running more mileage with way less runner's knee pain, so that's all the proof I need. I'm liking this training.

petert

Hi obiebyke:

its awesome that that you're starting heart rate training; I know you will do great! The most important thing is you build consistency, and use a method you will follow.

one distinction I would like to throw in there, and without causing any grief I hope,

while youre running at a good low heart rate, and you should keep it up as well as you can, the MAF system (and calculated 180 formula) is binary, and inflexible.  This is why I enjoy MAF so much, it's amazingly simplistic, and easy to follow.  Easy to follow is not the same thing as easy to do, however, heh.

what I mean is, if your maximum aerobic heart rate as defined by Maffetones formula is 132, then when you exceed that (by running at 140), you are technically not within the MAF zone.  Maffetone is firm on this range.

Based on what you had calculated and talked about in your posts, to be doing "MAF runs" (to say that you are using the Maffetone system), you should be trying to keep between 122 to 132. (As well as any heart rate below 122)

i know for many people this difference is unimportant, but to Maffetone and his system, and fat vs. sugar consumption, stress on the body, etc., 8 beats is (at least, can be) a big deal.

p.s. ... full disclosure... My runs are not perfectly within MAF all the time, I just Do my best to keep it at 136 or below!