Low HR Training

Heart Rate Alerts - Managing Heart Rate Strategies (Read 36 times)

SD_BlackHills

The Goal:

From what I understand about MAF Training, the goal is to stay as close to MAF as possible without going over to maximize development of the aerobic engine.  In fact, the number one goal during training is to not go over for more than a few seconds at a time (someone who is more versed in this training method, please correct me if I'm wrong here).

The Issue:

If you were to look at my Strava logs from the last couple of months since I've started MAF training, you would find that I've exceeded MAF in EVERY single run, multiple times.  My goal for each run is always the same (see above).  Also, a VAST majority of the incidents in which I go over MAF, I have to very quickly go to a walk.  A slow jog is simply far too slow to get back down to MAF or below within a few seconds or less.  Without looking at my watch every few seconds, I'm simply not noticing my HR start to drift up before it alarms and by that time, it's too late.

My Current Process:

• No food prior to run.  Drink a little bit of water.
    • Set an alert on my watch to alarm at MAF+1.  In my case this is 147.  I do not have a low alert set.  
    • Jog very, very easily to start.  
    • Let the pace come to me, don't push.
    • Drink a few sips of water every few miles.
    • Over the course of the first mile, I look at my watch once every few minutes or so.  HR is usually about MAF-25 or lower for the first half mile and about MAF-15 at the end of the first mile.
    • At one mile, slowly accelerate until I hit MAF-6.  In my case, this is 140.  This feels very easy, smooth and fast.  If I see a hill coming or turn into the wind, I back off proactively.  
    • Check my watch every few minutes.  
      • A vast majority of the time, it's between MAF-7 and MAF-5 (139 -141).  Make no adjustments in this case.
      • If it's below MAF-7, I accelerate lightly. 
      • If it's above MAF-5, I decelerate lightly.  
    • About a half mile from my end point, decelerate until I'm below MAF-10.  
    • Walk for about 5 minutes at end point.  

The Solution?:

I am open to any suggestions.  Perhaps set the alert on my watch to alarm at something like MAF-1 or MAF-2?  That is the best idea I have right now.

How do those of you who are having success with this training method manage this successfully?  Are you able to stay under MAF for the entire workout?  I truly want to get the most out of this training and fear that I may be hurting my progress.  Thanks in advance for any advice!

BeeRunB

The number one goal of The Maffetone Method is to stay healthy, or return to health. The secondary goal is to get faster at MAF. MAF training includes anaerobic work at some point. It's not all just the aerobic base phase. The idea is to monitor aerobic speed through the MAF test to inform yourself if your training or racing load is okay, too much, or too little at any given point. If you're beginning to overtrain, it'll show up in your MAF tests early (usually, some nagging physical things begin to arise as well). You'll start to plateau and get slower at the same HR. If that happens, it might be time to return to aerobic base training, cut the volume back, or  take a rest. Its that simple. Follow the MAF tests.

Going over MAF a few times in the way you say doesn't seem like a serious issue. If you're hugging up against the MAF in your run, you will go over from time to time. You just slow down when you do. Over the duration of a run, if you were able to keep your pace perfectly even, your HR should rise over time due to HR drift. Conversely, if  you keep your HR at the same BPM, you should slow a little over time for the same reason.

If your aerobic system hasn't been decimated beforehand and your paces have been pretty good. Going over MAF here and there isn't going to hurt your progress. If you are coming back from overtraining and injury, it might. The solution is to use a lower ceiling or a wider HR zone. For example, if MAF is 145, use a zone of 130-145, starting out at 130, holding the pace as even as possible, letting HR rise naturally. This also allows for hills a little better. Only let yourself get near MAF near the end of the run.

Over time, if you haven't been overtraining, you should see not only the aerobic speed improve, but the rate of HR drift should lessen.

When you add in anaerobic work, the aerobic progress should continue. Again, letting the MAF tests be your guide.

SD_BlackHills

The number one goal of The Maffetone Method is to stay healthy, or return to health. The secondary goal is to get faster at MAF. MAF training includes anaerobic work at some point. It's not all just the aerobic base phase. The idea is to monitor aerobic speed through the MAF test to inform yourself if your training or racing load is okay, too much, or too little at any given point. If you're beginning to overtrain, it'll show up in your MAF tests early (usually, some nagging physical things begin to arise as well). You'll start to plateau and get slower at the same HR. If that happens, it might be time to return to aerobic base training, cut the volume back, or  take a rest. Its that simple. Follow the MAF tests.

Going over MAF a few times in the way you say doesn't seem like a serious issue. If you're hugging up against the MAF in your run, you will go over from time to time. You just slow down when you do. Over the duration of a run, if you were able to keep your pace perfectly even, your HR should rise over time due to HR drift. Conversely, if  you keep your HR at the same BPM, you should slow a little over time for the same reason.

If your aerobic system hasn't been decimated beforehand and your paces have been pretty good. Going over MAF here and there isn't going to hurt your progress. If you are coming back from overtraining and injury, it might. The solution is to use a lower ceiling or a wider HR zone. For example, if MAF is 145, use a zone of 130-145, starting out at 130, holding the pace as even as possible, letting HR rise naturally. This also allows for hills a little better. Only let yourself get near MAF near the end of the run.

Over time, if you haven't been overtraining, you should see not only the aerobic speed improve, but the rate of HR drift should lessen.

When you add in anaerobic work, the aerobic progress should continue. Again, letting the MAF tests be your guide.

Interesting feedback!

I'm not looking at my pace at all during a workout so I don't know if I'm holding a constant pace or not.  My watch will beep at me at the conclusion of each mile but I have no idea how much it fluctuated over the course of that mile.

I don't think my HR slowly drifts up a constant pace, yet.  I will be pitter-pattering my way comfortably along at say 125 bpm and suddenly alarm at 150.  What????

Three possible causes in my mind:

1. I'm currently overtraining (I feel so good from MAF training that my average mileage up about 10 miles a week)
        2. The MAF training benefits have not kicked in yet.  
        3. Ineffectively warming up and/or cooling down.  I'm experimenting a lot with this.  

Based on my current troubles maintaining a super steady bpm, I think I will try the other suggestion, which is hold a constant pace.  This is something I know that I can do very well.  When training for my marathon last fall, I could reliably run each mile split with +/- 3 seconds of target by just monitoring "Lap Pace" and ignoring all other feedback.

So here is my next step:

• Setup my watch to boldly display "Lap Pace" and "Current Heart Rate"
        • Set Alarm for MAF-1
        • Easy warm up
        • Start running miles splits very near the pace of my recent training runs.
        • Slow down only for alarm or cooldown.  
        tortoise88

I'm just getting back into LHR training after a 3 yr layoff but did it for about 3-4 years prior, and this time around I have a much better feel for maintaining a constant effort regardless of pace.  I try not to worry about checking my HR (although inevitably I still check it periodically especially if I'm going up an incline) and instead relax and think of myself as a car with the gas pedal set at a single position.  Naturally I'll speed up or slow down on hills but all I have to do is keep the gas pedal at the same position.

I shoot for 135 and I would say, once I've reached that zone, most runs I won't see anything outside of 131-139.  However, the first couple years I did MAF, I was popping into the mid-140's all the time but it didn't stop me from making good progress.

Now, the number one culprit causing my heart rate to go too high is if I start daydreaming about racing and get excited about going fast!  Have to think about math problems to keep things under control Smile

-tortoise88

SD_BlackHills

I'm just getting back into LHR training after a 3 yr layoff but did it for about 3-4 years prior, and this time around I have a much better feel for maintaining a constant effort regardless of pace.  I try not to worry about checking my HR (although inevitably I still check it periodically especially if I'm going up an incline) and instead relax and think of myself as a car with the gas pedal set at a single position.  Naturally I'll speed up or slow down on hills but all I have to do is keep the gas pedal at the same position.

I shoot for 135 and I would say, once I've reached that zone, most runs I won't see anything outside of 131-139.  However, the first couple years I did MAF, I was popping into the mid-140's all the time but it didn't stop me from making good progress.

Now, the number one culprit causing my heart rate to go too high is if I start daydreaming about racing and get excited about going fast!  Have to think about math problems to keep things under control Smile

-tortoise88

I love the gas pedal idea.  I'm going to steal that for my own benefit.

I know what you mean about the daydreaming about racing issue.  That just happened to me this morning!  I was cruising along easily for about an hour between 135 and 140 bpm and my mind drifted to my upcoming race.  I didn't feel a change in effort at all but suddenly my watch alarmed at me and i was at 152 bpm!  Oops!  Clearly, I had sped up substantially without even realizing it.

Great post, tortoise!

BeeRunB

-tortoise88

LOL