Low HR Training

Treadmill test #2 to determine MAF (using incline and MPH) (Read 16 times)

Hey gang,

I read up on v02max test protocols for the TM last night, seeing if I could get info on how exactly the man who tested me 3 years ago did the test. I found several ones that were close. My goal was to come up with a test where I could use the MPH setting and an incline progression that didn't feel like my achilles were going to pop out of my ankles (the test I took maxed the TM out at 15% incline--too steep for me). Some of tests I read about go into the 20%+ ranges). After some figuring I came up with another test that would increase intensity using incline and MPH on the treadmill. This is the protocol:

DISCLAIMER: (use at your own risk. I'm not telling you to do this test. It can be stressful as you go futher into the test. Make an informed decision. This is only a possible way to confirm an MAF)

-warm-up 20 minutes to (180-age)-20 @ 0% incline

--start the test holding the speed you're at when running at that -20 heart rate, and 0%

-after every minute increase incline by .5% and increase speed by .2 mph

--boop your watch every 10 seconds

--you can take it until you can't go anymore, or just stop after MAF +30 or +40. The goals is to see the MAF deflection point. The higher in intensity you go, you'll those other ones that pop up.

I used my Polar watch today, figuring not everyone has a Garmin, and had to boop everything manually. I found it doable. I had to focus and make sure I didn't miss a step. With a Garmin, I would have to set up an interval workout using the time/time selection, and going at least 30-35 reps for 10 seconds each. Depending whether or not I wanted data in the LT/AT heart rate ranges. I can set it  for a higher amount of reps, if I want, and just quit when I want, and the watch will still retain what I did in History.

With the Polar, I ran out of room at some point, but managed to take to about 97 readings (48 reps on a Garmin)

Below are  the chart and data.  There were a few points where the HR did funny things like a weird drop for 3-4 readings, but mostly stayed on a proper rise. There's a well-defined deflection point at 134, with a quick steep rise up to 154, where there's that usual second deflection point I see, then another deflection at 172m which is close to my AT/LT of 175-176.  I've been using 130 bpm for awhile. 134 isn't out of the picture at age 53. All-in-all, it seems to create a decent deflection. It was stressful and harder to focus when I got up past LT.  Using a Garmin would take all of the manual watch-booping out of the picture. Only having to increase speed and incline. And if someone was helping me, I wouldn't have to boop at all.

Thoughts ad feedback are welcome.

log   prs      Crusted Salt comic #141