Low HR Training

MAF Advice (Read 51 times)

pebbles79

Hi all,

I have been following this forum for a while now and I am grateful for the useful information posted here. I would really appreciate some advice on my lack of progress with my MAF tests. I have been running under my MAF heart rate (140) for nearly 5 months now. I am doing 5 runs a week for a duration of between 5 and 6 hours per week. My MAF tests are as follows (8km):

15/8/15       5.32...5.40...5.44...5.50...5.49...5.45...5.48...5.57...Av5.46

14/9/15       5.19...5.37...5.39...5.55...5.54...5.53...5.57...6.10...Av5.48

19/10/15     5.21...5.32...5.50...5.51...6.03...6.07...6.08...6.15...Av5.53

19/11/15     5.36...5.44...5.35...5.44...5.50...5.48...5.53...5.57...Av 5.46

5/12/15        5.21...5.33..5.42...5.42...5.53...5.55...5.49...6.07...Av5.46    Temp 23˚C

29/12/15      5.16..5.36...5.47...5.52...5.55...5.55...6.13...6.09...Av5.51     Temp 25˚C

As you can see my first km time has decreased but my cardiac drift has increased a lot resulting in a pretty stagnant average km time. The first MAF test was two weeks after recovering from a pretty intense training block for a half marathon (which maybe relevant). Also, I  started recording the temperature recently as I live in the southern hemisphere so it was a fair bit cooler in August. I have been doing the 15 minute warmup and down with every run and trying to do a down hill session every week. My diet is pretty spot on too.

I am not sure where to go from here. Do I need to increase or decrease my volume or perhaps adding in some anaerobic work? My next race isn't until a 10k in April. On a positive note though, I have been free of any niggling injuries or illnesses in the last 5 months.

Thanks for the help

BeeRunB

Increase in temperature and humidity will affect your outdoor and indoor (TM) tests. Wind speed and sun are also variables outdoors--always best to record these. 25ºC is getting pretty warm. If for example, your first test was in 11-15ºC, then you could see as much as a 10-15% difference in pace (slowing) running in 25ºC or more, depending on your body composition and how well you handle heat. If your August temps were comparable to 11-15º, then you've actually progressed pretty well. You'll always see an increased speed of slowing at the same HR after the 1st mile in high temperatures as opposed to lower. The first mile is more important when comparing to the cooler temp tests (keeping in mind the 10-15%). Body fat comes into play---the more fat, the harder it is to dissipate heat and the more you'll slow.

Once it gets hot outside, use a new bench mark: your first hot weather test. Then work from there. Look for increased aerobic speed. If you're regressing in hotter weather relative to the new benchmark at equal temps, sometime a little less volume will get you moving in the right direction. For some, keeping the same volume going into summer is not a good thing---too much stress.

A final congrats on healing up. The Maffetone Method is about health first.

Keep going! 

pebbles79

Thanks for the reply Jimmy.

From what you are saying it looks like I have probably made some progress if you factor in a steady increase in temperature coming into summer.

The weather variations make it difficult to accurately compare tests over months..... maybe it's time to do my MAF tests on the TM in the air-conditioned gym!

Patrick

BeeRunB

Yer velcome. As long as the pace is progressing from any given point, and your body doesn't feel  beaten up, then good. When you feel it's time for some tempo work then you should see some more progress. 

Judd67

Jimmy,

when/how do decide to run at something other than maf?

BeeRunB

If you're coming off of injury, over-training, or a long layoff, you might consider taking at least 16+ weeks to build up your aerobic system, looking for improvement in speed at MAF. Letting your body heal up, or if you're starting up again, ease into it.

If you've been training healthy and improving and have a goal long race like a marathon or more in mind, then you most likely want to start the tempo runs 6-8 weeks out at least, after a 12 week base period. Some look for a plateau in improvement, then bring in the uptempo miles to sharpen the anaerobic fibers--if you're healthy and have been improving aerobically, you should see improvement in aerobic speed from the anaerobic work.

If you race shorter races often as a rule then your anaerobic work can be your weekly or bimonthly races. You do your aerobic work then get to racing. And do aerobic work in between with an occasional tempo or set of intervals. Whatever you can handle. I think it was Mike Pigg who had a fine season doing nothing but aerobic work between races. The races are all you need. Especially as an amateur.

The key is the aerobic speed. You really can experiment with any training regimen and as long as your aerobic speed is improving and your body feels healthy then it's good. Until it isn't, and that will show up in your aerobic speed as regression or extended plateaus. If ignored it can show up  in multiple sore spots or injury,  respiratory infections from lowered immunity, or over-training syndrome.

Some do a little speed work throughout the year and do fine. During an aerobic base period they'll throw in some strides or brief sprints at the end of runs to "stay in touch with their speed" as a friend puts it.

Once you get some time in you'll know when it's time to switch phases from self-knowledge and keeping stats. E.G. if you do aerobic base in the winter, you'll know when you're ready when you hit 9:00 pace for your first mile at MAF (having started  e.g. at 10:30 mile 12 weeks earlier). For someone else it might be 10:00 pace.

Let your aerobic speed, self-knowledge and how your body feels guide you through your journey.

Hope this helps. 

Judd67

Thank you!

I think Dr Maffetone would ask questions about your overall health and diet, sleeping patterns and stress level to determine why your MAF pace is not progressing. If all of these are good you might try adding a little intensity like 30 secs x 5 or 10 reps at mile to 3k race effort with 1 or 2 min recovery walks in between once a week and keep doing MAF tests to make sure your Aerobic development is not suffering.  The other idea would be to add some drills and 8 sec hill sprints to help you become more efficient mechanically.    Good luck and Good training!