Low HR Training

Newbie needs hardware help (Read 15 times)

MonicaM

I am just a couple of weeks in and struggling badly to stay under my MAF HR.  It is warm and humid here in Mississippi, even at 5:00 a.m. in the morning.  I started with a FitBit Charge HR, but quickly found that having to look at my wrist is awkward and dangerous to my physical well-being (klutz city!)

I am currently using a Polar H7 chest-strap monitor, along with an App on my iPhone called MotiFIT Run, because it was the first one that I found that gave audible alarms and/or would tell me my heart rate on the minute. I run without music/earbuds, because I run on country roads and very much need to be aware of oncoming cars and dogs, etc.

I find the current set up kind of clunky, and would really love to find an alternative.  Is there such a thing as a GPS watch that has an audible HR alarm?  Or is there something better?  What kind of set up do you find the most effective AND easy to use?  And not too expensive (like under $200)

I am 51 years old and have yet to finish one run under my MAF HR, although I seem to be getting closer.

npaden

I use the Scosche Rhythm+ HR armband paired to my iPhone using the Runkeeper app.

It can be set as quickly as 1 minute increments for audio cues if you really want to hear it that often.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

BeeRunB

There's no struggle if you walk to keep your HR down as prescribed by the method. Walking is fine. Some even plan the walk breaks. Run 3 minutes walk 3 minutes, whatever. It all helps the aerobic system. If you happen to be carrying some extra fat around like yours truly, it adds to the stress, not just in terms of drag, but in heat stress. Fat traps heat. Heat slows you down at the same HR. So, walk with pride. Eventually you'll be running everything. As for looking at the wrist. Quick glance ought to work. Like taking a quick look at the speedometer while driving. I've used Polars and Garmins. Both have alarms and visible HR on the main screen for quick glancing.