Low HR Training

Book Recommendations (Read 728 times)

ultrastevep has mentioned 2 books so far in a couple posts: Slow Burn by Stu Mittleman and The Van Asken method by Ernst van Aaken. I managed to find a used copy of The Van Aaken method and I plan to buy the Stu Mittleman book. I'd be interested in getting other book recommendations that talk about low HR training. I have the Maffetone book and a few Lydiard books, but I enjoy reading about different training philosophies. At last count, I have 43 running books on my bookshelf!
    Derek
      In comparing the low HR training books - what would you say were the 3 most consistent thoughts?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Wasatch Speedgoat

In comparing the low HR training books - what would you say were the 3 most consistent thoughts?
        1. Train at a low HR, preferable below 70% MRH for 90% of your running. 1a. Maffetone says to stick to a strict diet of 180-age and add 5 if your fit. 1b. Mittleman says you can add 10 to the above formula, but you should eventually learn to "feel" the pace". 1c. Van Aaken says that 95% of your running should be between 130-150 BPM (This was before HRM). 2. Food....diet plays a big part of this type of training. 2a. Phil Maffetone has a companion book "Eating for Endurance" 2b. Stu Mittleman talks about what his diet was for races of 6 day length and daily nutrition. 2c. Van Aaken says we all eat more than we need and can run on as little as 1000 cal's a day. 3. When your fitness plateaus, use some speed to boost your endurance to another level. 3a. Maffetone says to run fast downhill in order to teach your legs a fast turnover while keeping at a low HR. 3b. Stu Mittleman lays out a great track workout to add to your plan....basically long intervals. 3c. Van Aaken says to run all of your speeds every day. Mix it up, start slow, add some strides, do a tempo and finish slow.
        Life is short, play hard!
          So, in other words, mostly common sense Wink Thanks Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Wasatch Speedgoat

Yup!

Wasatch Speedgoat

I was thinking today that another book that is supposed to be good, but no longer available is Ron Daws "Self Made Olympian". Ron believed in running many miles at a slow pace to build your aerobic base, he was an avid Lydiard follower and was not that fast, but did make it to the Olympics. If you can find a copy of this book without paying hundreds of bucks on Amazon, grab it....it is a collector's item. Steve
                I looked at several books too, but found this one to be the most useful: http://tinyurl.com/2xnssh
                Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
                Pammie

ultrastevep Hello i'm new here first post. I have heard so much about "Self Made Olympian" by Ron Daws. The man talked sense i have a copy of his other book also hard to find "Running your best" I am currently reading Slow Burn Stu Mittleman and i have a Maffetone Book as well all good plus the link in the above post Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot by John Parker

Wasatch Speedgoat

Welcome, Pammie.... Those are all great books. I wish i could get a copy of Self Made Olympian, but there are none to be found. I will continue my search forever to add it to my library. Stu's book is very good also as he takes a look at breaking away from the HR monitor by sensing your pace. That is what I do 90% of the time now. Steve
                    Pammie

Thanks Smile Had a look on Amazon earlier $161 is the cheapest still a lot of money think i might wait a bit sounds a lot to spend on a book
                        ... I wish i could get a copy of Self Made Olympian, but there are none to be found. I will continue my search forever to add it to my library. Steve
                        I guess I'm lucky, got my copy back around the late 70's. The van AAken Method is a good one too.
                        newgeneration

I am also interested in such books, especially as regards nutrition. Is the Maffetone book on this subject helpful? BTW, Derek, congratulations on your weight loss. That is an amazing accomplishment. Hope your heel gets better soon.
                          gregw

I was thinking today that another book that is supposed to be good, but no longer available is Ron Daws "Self Made Olympian". Ron believed in running many miles at a slow pace to build your aerobic base, he was an avid Lydiard follower and was not that fast, but did make it to the Olympics. If you can find a copy of this book without paying hundreds of bucks on Amazon, grab it....it is a collector's item. Steve
                            Ron Daws has another book called "Running Your Best" that I actually just got for Christmas (and have since read). It can be had for less than Self-Made Olympian. When I looked before Christmas, it was at ~$40, although now it looks like the cheapest is $70. It's basically his interpretation of Lydiard complete with schedules, etc. It's not really low heart rate per se although he has a "building to target mileage" phase where mileage is the only concern and you're suppose to run relatively even efforts each day and quickly and comfortably build weekly mileage. There's one heart rate table in the book that sets "moderate" as 70-75% max heart rate, which is pretty low for "moderate" effort.

Wasatch Speedgoat

I am now reading "Again to Carthage"...the sequel to "Once a Runner". Once a Runner gets me excited to train every time I've picked it up, I hope ATC does the same Wink 7 miles on the mill today due to yet another snowstorm outside... Happy New Year Big grin