Low HR Training

Long Run Nick--Riding a bike? (Read 554 times)

Hi to my old friends. Yup. Back on a bike after 12 yrs no riding. Had very minor surgery: a small wart removed from the bottom of my foot in Feb.  Foolishly, started running when I was still walking with a limp. You would think a guy with 34 yrs running and over 71,000 miles run would know better. Well after a week of limping running (50 miles or so) a strange pain presented itself near my Achilles. Not on my Achilles--so my great thinking-- just keep running and racing. Gee, it got worse. Go figure? What was amazing was, once I warmed up it didn't hurt much to run. When I finished I would feel it. Not a good injury for a runaholic. Well finally in May, it brought me to a halt. Severe AT. Swollen? Yeah, but....  Decided to stop running. Didn't run for over 6 weeks. What does a runaholic do? I bought a Trek 7.3 hybrid bike and started riding like a maniac on 5/5/10. Have ridden over 1,600 miles since then (over 175 per week) and love it. Last time I rode was my last running injury--in 1997--Plantar F. When it went away I stopped riding. I plan to keep riding. Lot easier than running. You can coast!!

Started back running last week. Very EZ. Logged 17 miles. All pain free. My plan is to gradually build to 40-50 per week and ride around 100 a week. My running fitness made it aerobically ez to get doing some miles on the bike. A little sore at first--well yeah, but I am amazed at how much stronger I feel. That is a good feeling for a guy soon to be 67. 

I rarely ride with my HR monitor but when I do I average about what I would when running my normal ez pace. Farthest I have ridden is 78 miles. What is great about biking for me is I recover much quicker and am back out the next day--not worse for wear. Reminds me of my old ultra days back in the 80's and early 90's. 

Sorry I rambled, but I always have. I am very greatful I can do what I can do. I really missed running and would tear up when I would see someone running.

There is a down side to biking: it can get expensive. I bought a very inexpensive bike--$650 and have spent more than 2x that on gear. Don't ask me about my $700 worth of lights. I ride a lot in the early 0430+ hrs on dark country roads. Edison would wet his pants if he saw the lights. I use the strobe mode--front and rear during my day rides.

Thanks for letting me share. I do believe in LHR training. Because I have trained that way for decades I am still at it, at least that and some good genes from my 95 yr old mom. Keep in motion. Nick

Can I be Frank

Walk This Way...this way

Great to hear from you Nick!
      Can't count the number of times I've thought of you. Some of the best running advice and encouragement I have ever received came from you. Sounds like you are doing well.
      I was a huge biking enthusiast back as a kid. I still plan to get back in the saddle eventually. In fact, a year or so ago, I took a spin on a friend's bike. An awkward experience, but heck it's been decades. My fanny was a bit sore the next day.
      You've pushed past the 71k mark? Good golly!
      I'm only about 63k or so behind, but lovin' every minute of it!  
      ts (aka: Lowgear1)

Race Less Train More

Reading your post will push me to get on my bike more than once a month,  Hopefully.

Run until the trail runs out.

2013***1500 miles

50 miler

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

neat stuff. I started biking again too Smile I'll try to keep it up...it's very weird for now trying to get sure about my balance on the bike.

I'm biking at MAF too Smile as it feels easy enough at that HR.

funnily enough: the RPE (perceived exertion scale) is higher at MAF HR when biking than when running.

jdazzle

i second the fact that RPE is higher on the bike for the same hr as running.  not having to fight gravity really makes pushing the heart rate more difficult!  i've started doing some lactate threshold bricks, talk about painful!  i wish i could make my legs burn like that before i run out of breath while running!

neat stuff. I started biking again too Smile I'll try to keep it up...it's very weird for now trying to get sure about my balance on the bike.

I'm biking at MAF too Smile as it feels easy enough at that HR.

funnily enough: the RPE (perceived exertion scale) is higher at MAF HR when biking than when running.

Thats because running is heavily influenced by gravity, where as biking is to a lesser degree and swimming is barely affected.

If you are training using HR zones (not necessarily MAF HR) you should adjust the zones down by five to ten beats for a bike workout and another 5 to ten from the bike to a swim workout. I'd have to search some for the exact number (5 or 10).

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Thats because running is heavily influenced by gravity, where as biking is to a lesser degree and swimming is barely affected.

If you are training using HR zones (not necessarily MAF HR) you should adjust the zones down by five to ten beats for a bike workout and another 5 to ten from the bike to a swim workout. I'd have to search some for the exact number (5 or 10).

I agree. If my memory serves me correctly back in my prime I could consistently hit a max hr of 207 running. On a bike the highest I ever saw was around 188.  My max hr now some 12+ yrs later is 198--at least it was 6 months ago. Haven't tried to max out on the bike. I guess my age is catching up with me.

Tom S/lowgear. Thanks for the nice words. I am glad you are still at it. Remember, make it your play and you will be a lifetime runner. Don't get too wrapped up in formulas and hr stuff. I trained ez before I got my first Polar HR Monitor back in the early 90's. Amazing how the body kinda knows. The sad thing is too many folks get too wrapped around a concept and maybe get too serious.

Anyone have an update on Jess Lanier--formation flyer? Curious to know what happened to him.

Nick

C-R

Good to see you back posting (and running/riding). You got me to thinking its time to dust off the bike hanging in the garage.

Jimmy still keeps in touch with Jesse. You may want to PM him.

Don't be a stranger 'round here. And good advice on not getting oneself wrapped around the data/technical axle. Sometimes you lose sight of the forrest for all of the trees in the way.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

maffetone says you use the same MAF for biking and everything else.

so I guess the use of anaerobic engine or your levels of lactate etc. etc. is still the same at the same HR regardless whether running or biking or swimming.

so why should I adjust the zones? we all know RPE is worthless in judging how much of the effort is aerobic.