Low HR Training

Maffetone Method Support Thread (Read 3201 times)

Just thought I'd share some of my MAF test results from back in 2009  

Wow!  That is some nice improvement over the past couple of years!

Yup, I'm pretty happy with over 3 minute per mile improvement in 16 months. I'm also pretty excited to see what I can run for a 5k and HM this spring.

If you told me 16 months ago if I thought I'd be running and feeling this well right now, I would not have believe it. LHR is where its at.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Frimmin's sauna post bumped me into taking the book Slow Burn by Stu Mittleman (©2000) off

the aerobic training shelf in my collection. I found it interesting that, at age 48,

Stu was doing the bulk of his training between 100-125 bpm (page 151).

Considering you can keep the same MAF for 5 years if health and fitness continue to progress, his MAF might have been

at the very least, 180-48=132-137, no adjustments.

As high as 137-142 with the +5 for being an aerobigod.

100-125 bpm  was well below his MAF and in the deep fat-burning zone. Not sure what kind of volume

he was doing at the time, although in 2000 he did his 52 mile a day run across America. It would

be a good guess his prep for that contained some decent volume.

If you calculate his SLow Burn Zones (for those who've read the book):

MAP 112-132
        MEP 132-142 (his MAF zone)
        SAP 142-162 (this zone he considers anaerobic, as Dr. Phil would)

I find it encouraging that if working out well below MAF is okay for a world-class ultrarunner, then it's not hurting

a back-yard class amateur like me to be using a -5 adjustment and working out 126 and below.

--Jimmy

I have the book myself, the calculations would have my MAP at 143-153, MEP 153-163, and SAP 163-183. according to the subjective feelings this is pretty much spot on, except for SAP, because the 20bpm seemed a bit narrow, I would put the upper end of that somewhere below my LT(190+). also the lower part of SAP is not so much SAP-ish, but that's okay. so yeah, the rest of it is very well spot on. I added the 10 beats because I work out for more than 3 hours Smile

I never got around to try and follow his schedules, but I liked his book a lot...I liked his description of what you feel at what HR because I tend to note these "subjective" things myself.  I do happen to run a lot in his MEP zone (almost all those miles recently Smile ), though I'm not following his training in general.

as for it being a good idea to spend a lot of time at such a low HR. it depends where you are in your training, and where you are going. i.e. what your goals are. if you want to be able to run long and slow (has to be slow so you can easily eat and drink and go on without your HR increasing much etc.), then you should train at very low HR a lot. it will also train your endocrine system too to withstand all that running for very long. it will also have good effects on the higher fat burning zones but only as long as fat burning is heavily dominant over carbs. it doesn't seem to train one too well to run at higher intensities (faster than marathon pace etc). I dared to add this here because I know several ultrarunners and talked to them a bit.

Just thought I'd share some of my MAF test results from back in 2009 when I started running and more specifically, started MAFfing.

10/01/09.....5 miles.....140 HR.....12:46 ave pace.....weight = 214

10/29/09.....5 miles.....140 HR.....12:28 ave pace.....weight = 209

12/10/09.....4 miles.....140 HR.....11:35 ave pace.....weight = 206

02/23/10.....5 miles.....140 HR.....10:55 ave pace.....weight = 199.5

04/30/10.....4 miles.....139 HR.....10:20 ave pace.....weight = 197

05/20/10.....5 miles.....140 HR.....10:40 ave pace.....weight = 198

02/01/11.....5 miles.....138 HR.....  9:42 ave pace.....weight = 201

I hope my results help some people that are unsure if the Maffetone Method can work over time. I have had a big breakthrough in the last couple weeks and wish I had performed a few more tests last fall.

very neat progress! by the way, you should also mention if you only did pure MAF from 10/01/09 to 02/01/11 or not and if not, then which MAF tests were the result of pure MAF'ing. when I was a beginner here I took such testimonials as if it were all or almost all of it coming from pure MAF HR running. but maffetone method includes anaerobic seasons too + the MAF test. sure I was a bit silly about interpreting it like that Blush but I think it's useful to mention ...

BeeRunB

I have the book myself, the calculations would have my MAP at 143-153, MEP 153-163, and SAP 163-183. according to the subjective feelings this is pretty much spot on, except for SAP, because the 20bpm seemed a bit narrow, I would put the upper end of that somewhere below my LT(190+). also the lower part of SAP is not so much SAP-ish, but that's okay. so yeah, the rest of it is very well spot on. I added the 10 beats because I work out for more than 3 hours Smile

I never got around to try and follow his schedules, but I liked his book a lot...I liked his description of what you feel at what HR because I tend to note these "subjective" things myself.  I do happen to run a lot in his MEP zone (almost all those miles recently Smile ), though I'm not following his training in general.

as for it being a good idea to spend a lot of time at such a low HR. it depends where you are in your training, and where you are going. i.e. what your goals are. if you want to be able to run long and slow (has to be slow so you can easily eat and drink and go on without your HR increasing much etc.), then you should train at very low HR a lot. it will also train your endocrine system too to withstand all that running for very long. it will also have good effects on the higher fat burning zones but only as long as fat burning is heavily dominant over carbs. it doesn't seem to train one too well to run at higher intensities (faster than marathon pace etc). I dared to add this here because I know several ultrarunners and talked to them a bit.

The point of my post was to show how a world class runner trains below MAF, and that it gives me hope. He does spend time above on occasion. 

How does your MEP training relate to The Maffetone Method?

Do you do MEP tests in place of MAF tests?

How do you structure your MAF training?

How does your experience with a full experiment with MAF training relate to a full experiment with Slow Burn training and/or my post?

Do you find inspiration from Mittleman at all?

SLow Burn is really the Maffetone Method with a personal spin put on it. The MEP zone relates directly to the 10 beat zone below MAF, though he gives you a ten beat bump if you are training a lot and staying healthy. I'm sure if he was working with someone who was obviously unfit and unhealthy, though still running a high volume, that he wouldn't advise taking the ten beat bump. Just as Dr. Phil doesn't advise the 5 beat bump up if you've been regressing, are unfit, or feeling unhealthy.

--Jimmy

BeeRunB

very neat progress! by the way, you should also mention if you only did pure MAF from 10/01/09 to 02/01/11 or not and if not, then which MAF tests were the result of pure MAF'ing. when I was a beginner here I took such testimonials as if it were all or almost all of it coming from pure MAF HR running. but maffetone method includes anaerobic seasons too + the MAF test. sure I was a bit silly about interpreting it like that Blush but I think it's useful to mention ...

C, this reply is more for the proverbial beginner or newbie you mentioned in yours, as I know you get this already.

There's no such thing as "pure" MAF running. Maffetone Method includes anaerobic, just as SLow Burn does, and you can be doing tempos and be "maffing" as they say. If a beginner comes in, or someone interested, they should understand THAT.  You can get your MAF tests down over 18 months, as BT, has by phasing it. Base phase 12 weeks/anaerobic 4 weeks/race season. Or like Formationfier used to do (and he did all sorts of races)---tons of sub MAF and races.  If "maffing" properly, you should see some progress during a base phase of 8-16 weeks (or more), then you either start doing some tempos, or get to the business of racing, then see another period of improvement in your MAF tests. OR, like some do, race the year round, in 5ks, marathons, whatever, and just stay below MAF in between races. 

The only "pure" way to MAFF is to do regular MAF tests, then use them as a guide for what you should be doing.  That's pretty much the heart and soul of the method. The MAF test. What you do in between the tests is entirely up to you. If you want to do a base phase, do intervals, race, journey across America, or dress up like Chuck E Cheese and  run in place in a sauna, etc.--just make sure you are doing your MAF tests.

I've improved through all phases, and pretty equally so. I've also regressed at times during all phases equally so! Cool

Ah, this sweet journey

--Jimmy

The point of my post was to show how a world class runner trains below MAF, and that it gives me hope. He does spend time above on occasion. 

How does your MEP training relate to The Maffetone Method?

Do you do MEP tests in place of MAF tests?

How do you structure your MAF training?

How does your experience with a full experiment with MAF training relate to a full experiment with Slow Burn training and/or my post?

Do you find inspiration from Mittleman at all?

SLow Burn is really the Maffetone Method with a personal spin put on it. The MEP zone relates directly to the 10 beat zone below MAF, though he gives you a ten beat bump if you are training a lot and staying healthy. I'm sure if he was working with someone who was obviously unfit and unhealthy, though still running a high volume, that he wouldn't advise taking the ten beat bump. Just as Dr. Phil doesn't advise the 5 beat bump up if you've been regressing, are unfit, or feeling unhealthy.

--Jimmy

I have already said that I don't follow mittleman's training so there is no answer to your questions. it just so happens that my current slow paced runs are in his MEP zone (but NOT below maffetone's 180-age MAF HR). I didn't even realize that until now that this topic came up. Smile I found that interesting, so I mentioned it.

I did notice that there was this difference that he advocated adding 10bpm while maffetone never advocates more than adding 5bpm. I don't know why. in his book he does mention that the calculations are just a preliminary guess, and that you should really use the subjective feelings that he describes, to fix up the zones properly.

how do you mean it gives you hope?

C, this reply is more for the proverbial beginner or newbie you mentioned in yours, as I know you get this already.

(...)

Ah, this sweet journey

--Jimmy

yeah, let me also add that maffetone also talks about that phase a lot more with all those strict regulations for the HR ceiling. this plus reading a lot of threads here may be why it seemed to me that way when I came here on this forum originally, that most people tend to do that pure base phase more often than the anaerobic part. so, it's good to see this explanation here. Smile

C

I've been racing in between all those MAF tests. I also bike and swim. I competed in two HM's last year (PR'd the second one by 10 minutes), one sprint triathlon and one duathlon. If I had to guess I'd say that 75-85% of my running would be a strict MAF HR run. Same holds true for my biking and 95% of the swimming.

My log is public if you want to peek at it, but sometimes I categorize a run as "easy" if its a few beats above my MAF of 140. The 140 MAF is not adjusted up for improved and progressive testing, duration or fitness.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

BeeRunB

I have already said that I don't follow mittleman's training so there is no answer to your questions. it just so happens that my current slow paced runs are in his MEP zone (but NOT below maffetone's 180-age MAF HR). I didn't even realize that until now that this topic came up. Smile I found that interesting, so I mentioned it.

I did notice that there was this difference that he advocated adding 10bpm while maffetone never advocates more than adding 5bpm. I don't know why. in his book he does mention that the calculations are just a preliminary guess, and that you should really use the subjective feelings that he describes, to fix up the zones properly.

how do you mean it gives you hope?

Hey C,

Your reply to my post barely had anything to do it, and was attempting to bring you back to the

subject of this thread ("Maffetone Method Support Thread") as stated in the first post, and  also to what you were replying to.

Thus the questions. SInce you are hanging out and replying about both MAF training and Slow Burn, I took it that you were

using one or both of the "LHR" methods, or at least had fully experimented with each before. I wanted to know what your experience with one or both was and how you did it and all that. Especially since the SLow Burn stuff has so much about the what each zone feels like (to Stu). The final question was "do you find inspiration from Mittleman at all?" I figured you read the book and/or knew something about his exploits. I find inspiration and hope, as he ran across America at the same age as I am now. Just wondering if you did. Cool

I haven't really used his zones before, although as I said, and as you know, his MEP zone correlates with the MAF to MAF-10 zone. I never much got into it as I felt the MAF training was pretty clear, simpler, and had a wider array of possibilities (like running above the SEP zone in Slow Burn).

Except for that possible 5 extra beats that you can take in the MEP zone in SLow Burn, it's MAF training. 

--Jimmy

BeeRunB

yeah, let me also add that maffetone also talks about that phase a lot more with all those strict regulations for the HR ceiling. this plus reading a lot of threads here may be why it seemed to me that way when I came here on this forum originally, that most people tend to do that pure base phase more often than the anaerobic part. so, it's good to see this explanation here. Smile

Totally understand. It can seem that way--especially if the main posters here are all in a base period (about a dozen posters, and 480+ members of this forum! Lots of lurkers and people who have come and gone).  It's also the biggest misconception people have who haven't really read the books or given the method a full try (a full try meaning a base period, some anaerobic work, then some racing, then back to base +MAF TESTS).

--Jimmy

C

I've been racing in between all those MAF tests. I also bike and swim. I competed in two HM's last year (PR'd the second one by 10 minutes), one sprint triathlon and one duathlon. If I had to guess I'd say that 75-85% of my running would be a strict MAF HR run. Same holds true for my biking and 95% of the swimming.

My log is public if you want to peek at it, but sometimes I categorize a run as "easy" if its a few beats above my MAF of 140. The 140 MAF is not adjusted up for improved and progressive testing, duration or fitness.

all of them? but you had some base building, didn't you? yeah, as for categorizing, a few beats can matter a lot, depending on the person.

Hey C,

Your reply to my post barely had anything to do it, and was attempting to bring you back to the

subject of this thread ("Maffetone Method Support Thread") as stated in the first post, and  also to what you were replying to.

Thus the questions. SInce you are hanging out and replying about both MAF training and Slow Burn, I took it that you were

using one or both of the "LHR" methods, or at least had fully experimented with each before. I wanted to know what your experience with one or both was and how you did it and all that. Especially since the SLow Burn stuff has so much about the what each zone feels like (to Stu). The final question was "do you find inspiration from Mittleman at all?" I figured you read the book and/or knew something about his exploits. I find inspiration and hope, as he ran across America at the same age as I am now. Just wondering if you did. Cool

I haven't really used his zones before, although as I said, and as you know, his MEP zone correlates with the MAF to MAF-10 zone. I never much got into it as I felt the MAF training was pretty clear, simpler, and had a wider array of possibilities (like running above the SEP zone in Slow Burn).

Except for that possible 5 extra beats that you can take in the MEP zone in SLow Burn, it's MAF training. 

--Jimmy

yes I did use the MAF HR  (180-age) for base building, then I kept MAF runs + added high anaerobic runs (tempos), they were usually above maxHR 90%. the MAF HR base building didn't do much beyohd bringing me back from the overtraining thing, mixing MAF HR and 1-2 anaerobic runs per week did result in a lot of improvement.

I didn't experiment with the "mittleman method" at all.

about inspiration: yes, those descriptions about the feelings inspired me a lot. it helped me find some connections between the heart rate and how I'm feeling. if you mean that his achievements are inspiring to me: I tend to just think "wow", because his achievements are at such a different level. Smile though, I do hope that one day I could do running like I do walking, it would be so cool. Smile when I run at a low enough HR I feel that is possible. by low enough I mostly mean the MAP zone, or MAF or whatever, in my case, basically the HR below 180-age or so.

BeeRunB

yes I did use the MAF HR  (180-age) for base building, then I kept MAF runs + added high anaerobic runs (tempos), they were usually above maxHR 90%. the MAF HR base building didn't do much beyohd bringing me back from the overtraining thing, mixing MAF HR and 1-2 anaerobic runs per week did result in a lot of improvement.

I didn't experiment with the "mittleman method" at all.

Don't diminish what happened during your base period. Coming back from over-training is a major thing. Sometimes people won't see much progression during their first base phase if they come to it injured or over-trained, as the body needs to heal first.

It also prepped you for the anaerobic work that you ended up doing. I remember when I did my first MAF base period in 2006. I thought I would see more and faster progress during that time, progressing only 20 seconds in 4 months in my MAF tests from 10:14 to 9:54 (the first few months were up and down as I had a minor injury I had to Gallowwalk through). Then I added some anaerobic (over-MAF) stuff in for a few weeks and when I ran the Boston Marathon and subsequent Sugarloaf MArathon, I was completely surprised by how strong I felt in terms of endurance. Something definitely happened during that base period, more than I ever thought. If nothing was happening during that meager 20 seconds improvement, I would have not made that BQ at Sugarloaf. I would have been unfit for business. I still remember discussing it with Jesse (FF), as he had the same experience.

It's interview C time!Cool

How long had you been running before you attempted you first MAF base phase?

How long was your base phase?

Was it all at your MAF, or sub-MAF, as suggested?

Did you build volume?

What did your MAF tests do from the first test to the last test during the base phase? (paces)

--Jimmy

P.S. I have a friend who went to a hypnotist to stop smoking. To this day he calls it a bunch of hocus-pocus mumbo jumbo, but then he says he did quit smoking a week later after the session and hasn't smoked since (20 years). He says the hypnosis had nothing to do with it. Why I thought of that story, I'm not sure. But there it is!

you are right, that was a very good thing that I got back from the whatever, I think it was some kind of overreaching, I was trying to do nearly 30mpw at somewhat higher HR and that was too much as a beginner, I regressed at the HR zones I was training at (not just very low HR's) and had a few other symptoms. anyway, I went ahead and tried running at MAF HR and sometimes a bit lower too and in 2-3 weeks I was back. Smile also, your comment on taking a long time to heal first is a good one. I wasn't looking at it from this viewpoint before.

as for the interview Smile, see below:

1. I'd been running for 5 months (1.5 months run-walk to first 5K and then 3.5months of running). I'd been improving nicely for 4-4.5 months and then I got the above mentioned set back.

2. I followed all the strict rules for 6 weeks, staying at or below MAF HR for 6 weeks. after that I added some faster runs (1-2 weekly) because I wanted to run a couple of races. the 1-2/week includes the races. everything else still MAF HR because I was ok with that as long as seeing progress. Smile

3. yeah, for the "pure" base building part, it was all MAF, which is supposedly 153bpm for me. but sometimes I just ran at 150bpm because that allowed me to just set the pace in the beginning and then forget about it (I mean, HR didn't drift up).

4. volume went from 27miles (first week of MAF) to 30-35mpw, excluding the 15min run-walk warmups (I didn't bother to count the warmup miles). 6 days per week. one rest day per week - I didn't feel any need to rest but I did it anyway.
                                the following could also be related to your volume question...before the MAF'ing, the bad period (regression) was after I tried to do and maintain 28mpw. before upping the mileage to 28, I was happily progressing on 22mpw or so.

5. MAF tests: the first MAF run was right at the 153bpm and it was at around 15:15/mile after warmup. this was pretty bad due to the overtraining thing. 3 weeks later the pace was around 13:30 and stayed there. which was pretty much in line with what I would have before the regression. the paces at higher HR's and race pace were back to the same too, I mean, same as before regression. but better than during the regression, of course!

oh and if we are talking MAF tests, after 6 more weeks where I mixed MAFHR+high HR, that 13:30 went to 12:30-12:45 and 6 more weeks of the same mixed MAFHR+high HR led to a pace around 12:10. Smile

(....side note, after that 12:10, I had a nearly 3 month plateau where there were no races, instead it was a different low HR method, a lot of it consisted of MAF HR runs, but it wasn't pure MAF base building. high HR's were pretty much excluded, though. ok I'm making this post too long!)

PS: how does your friend explain that he quit smoking? what does he think the reason was for this? I'm curious to hear Smile

PS2: hey a funny thing. I looked in my old running logs and I find that 10min/mile pace was at a 180bpm HR back then (after those first 6 weeks of MAF HR running), and now, that pace is at around 155-159bpm. Smile (those HR's apply after warmup.)