Low HR Training

How long does it take your HR to (Read 274 times)

Half Fanatic #846

...return to normal after a run? It takes mine up to 30 minutes (immediately after a run I walk for about 10 minutes, then stretch about 8-10 more minutes, then sit down to log my stats). This AM after a 3 miler (75 deg & 91% h), it took 28 minutes. I haven't timed other recoveries with temp/humidity/dist/etc, but might if this seems to be abnormal. Now I'm anxious to compare to my next long run... I was thinking this is a long time for the HR to come down, but I don't know. Confused What is your HR recovery time? Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.               "Frankly autocorrect, 'm getting a bit tired of your shirt"             Run like the winded                I ran half my last race on my left foot!                 70-74 year old age group                  

My resting HR is 48-52 depending on the day. My HR is usually around 75-80 during my 5 minute warm up walk. After a typical MAF run (MAF=142), it goes back down to about 100-103 within 2-3 minutes (while walking). After that, I really don't look at it. A year ago or so, I usually saw high 90s during my warm up walk, and 108-112 during my cool down walk.
        After my runs in the morning which have been ending at HRs 134/135. I would walk up driveway to my front door and take my shoes off. This would get my HR down to 85-90. I would say this takes 2-3 minutes. By the time I pour out my cereal and eat breakfast (maybe 7-9 minutes) my HR is usually down in the 60's. Sometimes if I relax I can get it down to 59-60 after about 10 minutes. Its funny how eating and drinking actually raises your HR slightly. mid-70s for me.
        lowgear1

Max McMaffelow Esq.

One report i've read that has always stuck with me suggests that the HR drop in the first 60 seconds following a work-out is a key indicator of cardio health in general, with a drop of 20 bpm or more in that first minute being a good sign. I would think that after that initial drop a return to a relaxed state HR would be a function of how stressful the w/o was in terms of duration, temps/dew pts., and other variables. I personally have not come back to RHR level very often unless in a very relaxed environment, but more typically see RHR plus 5 to 15 bpm within a half hour to an hou,r which still seems very reasonable post w/o. It certainly would be interesting to graph this over a period of time. Lg1
          ♪ ♫ Hey, hey, we're Maf Monkees And people say we monkey around. ♪ ♫ (The Monkees)
          Give me 12:59 in '09, please. I deserve it! (Maf of course)..No more teens! No more teens! (ME! ME! ME!)
          ♪ ♫ I Thank The Lord For The Night Time...And I Thank The Lord For You ♪ ♫ (Neil Diamond)