Marathon Training and Discussions

Too optimistic? (Read 299 times)

Hi. I've found the forums in general tremendously insightful, so hopefully, I'll get some advice here. I'm 40. Ran a 3:13:?? in Dublin in October (take off another minute while I peed. Age, I guess. Or dehydrophobia - I ran with a Camelbak.) My first marathon in 7+ years. A PR (of 4 marathons), but my training was so-so, I feel. Nonetheless, I qualified for Boston. Assuming the field isn't filled and my check don't bounce, I'm there. My goal is under 3. 2:59:59 chip time will do. Why that goal? I dunno. Why repeatedly put one foot in front of the other? Because. I felt great after Dublin. IF (that word!) I was with someone the last (roughly) half, as I was in the first half (til that pee) I may have done even better. I don't say that to make excuses, though. I was THRILLED with my time. Hell -- Maybe they measured the course wrong Wink Anyway, is my goal reasonable? That'd be like knocking, say 20, 25 secs per mile off. Have a look at my training log if it'll help (I was on vacation and sick after the marathon, but have been pretty consistent in most of December.) Also: running Dublin was first floated in May by my wife, but we didn't decide and fully commit til mid August. Also also: I did no specific speed work, but some hills. I live in Pittsburgh. They're unavoidable. Thanks all.
      Hi. I've found the forums in general tremendously insightful, so hopefully, I'll get some advice here. I'm 40. Ran a 3:13:?? in Dublin in October (take off another minute while I peed. Age, I guess. Or dehydrophobia - I ran with a Camelbak.) My first marathon in 7+ years. A PR (of 4 marathons), but my training was so-so, I feel. Nonetheless, I qualified for Boston. Assuming the field isn't filled and my check don't bounce, I'm there. My goal is under 3. 2:59:59 chip time will do. Why that goal? I dunno. Why repeatedly put one foot in front of the other? Because. I felt great after Dublin. IF (that word!) I was with someone the last (roughly) half, as I was in the first half (til that pee) I may have done even better. I don't say that to make excuses, though. I was THRILLED with my time. Hell -- Maybe they measured the course wrong Wink Anyway, is my goal reasonable? That'd be like knocking, say 20, 25 secs per mile off. Have a look at my training log if it'll help (I was on vacation and sick after the marathon, but have been pretty consistent in most of December.) Also: running Dublin was first floated in May by my wife, but we didn't decide and fully commit til mid August. Also also: I did no specific speed work, but some hills. I live in Pittsburgh. They're unavoidable. Thanks all.
      Just going by the information you given so far, and what’s in your log, I’d say its way too optimistic. You haven’t run the necessary mileage, nor do I see even one shorter race where you’ve averaged under 7-minute pace. How can you expect to average 6:51’s for 26 miles? No way. Now that I probably have you breathing fire, I will add that you are probably capable of running a marathon that fast…just not by April. If I were you I’d forget about Boston and train for Philadelphia in the fall. Isn’t Philly just down the street for Pittsburgh? You’ve got plenty of time to run Boston, and will probably be able to qualify with less than optimal training whenever you want to. For me, at least, running a sub-3 is a much greater accomplishment than qualifying for Boston with a slower time and then running it. Philly is a faster course, is closer to home, and you’ll have a lot more time to get ready for it.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Thanks for analysis. You don't have me breathing fire. I'll just do my best, but a goal is something concrete to shoot for. One thing is for sure: I do need to find more races to run. Philly was actually my first and second marathon, but years ago, in a former running life. I used to live there. I intend to do Boston in April nonetheless. Life's uncertain, so I may as well. But a fall marathon is in the works, too. That or a 50 miler. Take care.
          Good luck Dan, I still think it's going to be tough for you to get in sub-3 shape by Boston, but I KNOW you are capable of running that fast at some point (upgraded from "probably"). If you just recently started running again after a 5-year layoff and ran 3:13 at Dublin, you have a whole lot of upside potential. Aside from doing the right training, staying free of injury is major. It's very easy to have your aerobic capacity get way ahead of the muscles, bones and tendons. Although I didn't stop completely, I ran very little through most of my 50's and allmost never raced. When I started back about 3 years ago I tried to do too much, too soon, and kept racking myself up. Finally I wised up and put together a couple good years. I think running some races is a good idea as long as you don't overdo it (do as I say, not as I do). Not only will it help you get in shape, but it will give you a good gauge of your progress in relation to your goal. For example you would need to get your 10k time below 39 minutes and half marathon down in 1:25's to have a reasonable shot at sub-3 marathon. Jim P.S. I'm not planning one until end of year, but maybe would could talk about some workouts at some point.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

...---...

One thing is for sure Dan, only YOU know what you are capable of doing and a good positive attitude is part of the preparation for getting there. I mean, if you don't hit your goal time...big deal. You'll live to run another day.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Hawt and sexy

Boston is generally not considered a PR course. With the mileage you are doing now, I say this is way to optimistic as a goal. You could have a good day though.

I'm touching your pants.