Marathon Maniacs

2008 plans (Read 617 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Does anyone have really ambitious plans for 2008? I had a pretty aggressive 2007 (for me), I plan to throttle back a bit next year, maybe get back to trails/ultras. Maybe even a 50-miler if my foot cooperates.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Gonna work on speed. And run some 5ks and 10ks to get faster. Then some marathons. But I will certainly run Monkey III.
        Gonna work on speed. And run some 5ks and 10ks to get faster. Then some marathons. But I will certainly run Monkey III.
        Ditto

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

"Though"? Are the two mutually exclusive? I thought not Wink
            Tongue

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

evanflein

2007 was a wonderful year for me, full of PR's and lots of marathons. 2008, I hope, will be good also as far as no injuries and more PR's... but I don't think I'll be able to repeat the string of marathons just cuz it's been kind of hard on the family... and next year I'll have two boys in comp soccer again so that means more travel/tournaments for both of them, and one is already going to Hawaii for the regional tournament next June... So, I've got Carlsbad on Jan. 20, Boston on April 21, maybe Humpy's in August and for sure Equinox in September. I'd like to do a 50k with a friend, but that may be the only out-of-state marathon I do in 2008. Goals: Sub 6:30 mile, Sub 45 10k, Sub 1:45 HM... would like to see a 3:45 Marathon in there, but not a biggie.
                I'm not sure about 2008. While I have 10 or fewer states left to get to 50, a lot of them will involve extensive travel. I'm thinking it would be more fun to spread them out over the next 2 years. I'm not a "cross that one off my list" person, instead, I like returning to races I've enjoyed to see some familiar faces and to run them again. We like to drive to as many as we can as Frank (our dog) comes along, we get to see the country, and with XM radio, we can listen to the Red Sox Big grin no matter where we are. So far, I'm planning to go to Nevada, Arizona, Little Rock, New Jersey, Boston (some of those are repeat states) this year. I don't have anything planned after Boston. I'm trying to figure out when I want to do Maine and Vermont. The only options are May and October, but there are no double opportunities. The other quandry is Hawaii in March (Hilo) or in September (Maui). Feel free to pass along any feedback! grins, A
                Masters 2000 miles

Maniac 505

Amy: we are looking at Hilo, but maybe for 2009, Arf has to get certified for SCUBA first. I don't think we will be doing Boston this year, but it is looking like there will be quite a few Boomers at Wenatchee the day before. Yakima is on our short list and we are definetly running two bears in Whitefish Montana, other than that, and Tampa in Feburary, I think we will mostly be running races local to either me or Arf
                  Dove

The Dovenator

Dave, no Boston? That's too bad, I was looking forward to seeing you and Arf there. I guess I'll just have to come to Yakima. Amos, I can understand wanting to spread you next 10 states out over 2 years. I get really tired of flying and also, like you, I enjoy returning to my favorite races year after year. I guess I'll never be a 50 stater because of that. Erika, You've had an incredible 2007. I'm sure there are lots of PR's in your legs, and maybe focusing on family in 2008 will bring those PR's to the surface. I always run best after a cluster of close marathons, then backing off a bit. I'm still working on my 2008 schedule. So far I'm running Carlsbad, Lost Dutchman, Boston, Vancouver, Olympia, North Olympic and Newport. Maybe Yakima, Tri-cities, Sunriver, Haulin' Aspen and Autumn Leaves. I'd really like to do the Ultracentric, but that mean's Seattle would be questionable. I'm hoping to fly less and drive more, meaning more local races. Any rumors on where the Marathon Maniac Reunion will in '08? -Marilou

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Imminent Catastrophe

... Any rumors on where the Marathon Maniac Reunion will in '08? ... -Marilou
                      I don't know but it looks like Yakima River Canyon (April 5) and Tacoma (May 10) will have a HUGE Maniac turnout, but then a lot of MMs live in the Pacific NW.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Any rumors on where the Marathon Maniac Reunion will in '08?
                        Well, here, of course. Wink Evil grin

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, here, (of course) Evil grin
                          Gee, I didn't see that one coming! Wink But seriously folks, the Monkey would be an awesome Maniac reunion venue.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ha, thanks PerfesserR!
                              You sure you want us all?
                              Masters 2000 miles
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The more the merrier. Until we hit the 200 registrant ceiling, that is Wink