Mid Penn Runners

Nice weeks guys. (Read 252 times)

kip hoffman

How did the 45 miles feel Joe? Big grin
      feeling great. i'm going to try for another 40-45 mile week and see how my body feels. I don't want to go any higher then 50 for the rest of this year. I plan on just keeping it around 40-50 miles a week and working on speed. any suggestions on workouts without compromising my weekly mileage and draining my legs.

kip hoffman

That sounds good. There are two workouts that come to mind that I think you would enjoy doing and might alternate them every week. Workout #1 Speed Development Workout - 4-8 x 400 @ 70 seconds with 60 second rest. Start on the lower end and you can do these at the end of a 3-5 mile run with a 10 minute cool down. Workout #2 Progresion Run - 5-8 miles starting at an easy pace and working up to a pretty fast pace (10k RP) for the last mile. This would help develop you aerobic capacity. I think these two workouts would allow you to keep you mileage were it is and also help you develop more speed and general fitness. If you do these for 6-8 weeks, you would want to change it up then and get a little more specific for whatever your goal race is and when it is.
          thanks, they both sound like good workouts. i'll have to give them a shot starting next week when we get back to PA next week. i think i kind of did one of those Progresion runs today. I started real slow and was moving the last twenty minutes. you think those two workouts will do for the next month or two? i'm all ears if you have any other type of coaching advice. as you can see i've been using my HRM in order to keep from over training. right now i'm aiming for 40-50 miles a week or around 6 hours of running a week. i know if a month or two i'll be covering more ground in the same amount of time. thanks for the advice.

kip hoffman

I like those workouts. That should allow you to keep your mileage up. You could always do two hard workouts in one week plus your long run. But as a full time dad and just getting back into it, I think one workout per week plus a long run is good enough.
              now that i'm back home, i SHOULD be able to stay in the swing of things. last week with coming back from Ft Picket and some other stuff, it was hard to get runs in. i may wait til next week to see about doing some of those runs you suggested.

kip hoffman

nice races guys. was it the 5k up in williamsport?
                  yes, the race was at the Hospital in Williamsport. If you read my entry, I felt as if I couldn't move any faster, but I also felt like i could've ran that pace for another 2-4 miles. I'm pretty confident that once I start to do some speed work, that my times will drop. As of right now, i'm not worried about times. I just want to continue to keep my weekly mileage up and worry about speed down the read.

"Run for your Heart" 5K. I am also running Higher mileage and I am seeing Improvements. I need to work on that last mile...It always seems to kick my Butt. Any suggestions for the last Mile. See ya in Mliton!

Get Runnin Slow Poke!!!

kip hoffman

Fast finish progression runs will help with your finish. Run you typical run of 5-7 miles and gradually increase you pace throughout the run. Over the last 1/4 - 1.0 mile finsh really fast (5k pace or faster). This workout once a week will help. I do like progression runs for us average people who have real life to deal with. They fit into normal training well.
                        i will not be running the next few days until my poison ivy goes away. keep up the good work people.. Black eye

kip hoffman

sorry to hear about the ivy man. i hope it clears up quickly.
                            trust me, i can't wait for this to be over. i'm afraid if i run that it'll spread. i made the mistake of running the first day. never again.... Angry

Sissy!!!

Get Runnin Slow Poke!!!

i should be back running by friday. this is killing me not being able to run. i just don't want this to spread any more. i hope everyone else is doing well.