Maine Runnah Group

Blaine -Coaching (Read 337 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOL, I love the addition to your signature line! Sorry, it happens to the best of us... On a serious note, Logan would be interested in getting some coaching from you. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner! Can you e-mail me at Teresadfp at aol dot com to let me know how you charge and what your schedule is like? He needs help with cross training and pacing in particular. He's thinking he should be quickening his training pace to 6:30 or so. That seems awfully fast to me, but I obviously don't know much about all this! I think you would like working with him. He's very enthusiastic and hard-working, and really does follow through well on coaching advice.

I haven't set up specific rates yet since most of my coaching has been helping out Michael's group through Maine Running and John pays me for that. Does he have a summer schedule from his coach? Quickening his training pace would be a mistake. I did really well on that for 2 years but then I spent 2 years injured and it took me another 4 or 5 years to figure out what really works the best. I'll shoot you an email.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'll have Logan e-mail you shortly. He's trying to get his summer homework assignment for Spanish done first. I can't believe how much homework they assign in high school now!! Ychh. I wish they'd give the kdis a break.

Welcome back from vaca! Good time, I hope? You guys still planning on heading to the Back Cove on Wednesday evening?

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, Blaine! We had a WONDERFUL vacation - perfect weather the entire time. Niagara Falls is even more impressive in person than in photos. Logan had a good week at XC camp in NC - one college kid who helped with his group ran a 4:04 mile in HS and had some good advice. They put in a lot of miles on hills - I guess nothing is flat down there. It was mid-80s or warmer when they ran, but it didn't seem to bother him. On one run, a kid stepped on a bee hive (yellow jackets, maybe?), so Logan got stung a couple of times. Gotta love how running toughens up kids - he said that the way they ran, they already hurt enough that a couple of stings didn't make any difference! Yep, we will be there Wednesday night. I can't run it because of my light running schedule, but I'll watch! Logan is deciding how hard to run it. Last week was supposed to be his easy week according to the summer schedule he drew up, but since he was at camp, he ended up with about 51 miles for the week. See you Wednesday!
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hey, Blaine - are you going to be at Twin Brook Tuesday night? If so, Logan would like to join you. According to Coach Dowling's summer plan, he ran 60 miles last week, including a 13-mile run on Saturday. He was pretty pooped yesterday! That was a record week for him, I think. The Chandler XC Relays are coming up on August 27, so it will be his first race of the season. He's the 4th fastest returning 5k runner in the state, based on the state XC meet results. Of course, it was pouring that day, and Class A ran after Class B, so some of the Class A boys would have been faster under better conditions, probably.

Tomorrow is my anniversary, so unless the weather is so bad that we stay home all day instead of going out to do fun stuff I will probably try to get my run out of the way in the morning rather than meeting up with the guys in the evening. (Erin will also be running in the morning.) Logan is still welcome to show up and run, though. There should be plenty of people there at 6:00 to run, and it isn't like he'd have trouble keeping up with any of them. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do this weekend, but there's a trail run at Pineland on Saturday morning at 7:00 am (meeting in the parking lot next to the YMCA) and several people are planning to go long so he should be able to get whatever kind of mileage that he wants out of that. I am probably going to put off my speed workout until Sunday morning and will run at Pineland on Saturday, but not 100% positive about that yet. If my hip is feeling better then I might opt to do the speed work on Saturday instead.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

OK, I'll tell him all that! Happy Anniversary!! Have fun celebrating. Marriage gets better every year.

Is Logan going to come run with us tomorrow night at Twin Brook?

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Too bad Logan can't make it tonight, but I guess preseason will be keeping him busy enough. We enjoyed the XC clinic last night, especially hearing from the three athletes. Impressive young people! Oh, is Matt older than you? I guess he's not that young, then. Wink

Too bad Logan can't make it tonight, but I guess preseason will be keeping him busy enough. We enjoyed the XC clinic last night, especially hearing from the three athletes. Impressive young people! Oh, is Matt older than you? I guess he's not that young, then. Wink
                        Matt is Erin's age, so 2 years older than me. Louie and Lauren are both a few years younger than I am.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hey, Blaine, Logan won his first race yesterday! It was a 5K at the Fryeburg fairgrounds. The "trail" was not marked at all. He and two of his teammates were out front, and Logan took a wrong turn. Everyone followed them! They proabably lost 20 seconds or so. Logan finished in 16:54, a PR, but he wasn't happy because he had so much energy left. Still cool to win, though. Next Saturday is Manchester, a big meet with schools from all over New England. He usually does pretty well there - he came in 9th last year. I think I'll make the trip to watch. Good job on the Galloway clinic writeup! I will defintely save it.

Tell him congratulations, and that he's better off having a lot of energy left after a win, especially this early in the season. That way he doesn't overtrain and get too tired when it doesn't matter while still scoring as well as he can for his team, since in cross country your time doesn't matter, only your finishing position. Just tell him to think about how strong he'll be at the end of the season when he finishes after burning everything in his tank!

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, yesterday he was unhappy because he was TOO tired at the end of the race! But they had a great 5k meet in Manchester. He came in 6th, at 16:40, on a hilly course (PR). James came in 3rd at 16:26, and Mark was 9th in 17:04. So they had three kids in the top 10, out of 197 runners. Greely came in first place, out of 29 teams. They would have won even without James and Logan, so they have some great depth. Their top 5 guys (scorers) averaged 17:03, and their top 7 were all under 18 minutes. Coach Dowling said it was one of the best team performances he's seen. Logan got two free T-shirts and a cool trophy, and the school gets a big trophy. A pretty good day! I ended up not going when I heard the forecast of pouring rain. Of course, it ended up just raining lightly! Next week is the Belfast meet, which will have 60 schools. I'm hoping to make that one.

One of my friends (and frequent competitors) laid out the course for Manchester. I saw him at Eliot, and he was heading down right after the race.

Run to Win