Maine Runnah Group

Maps (Read 174 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Does anyone have some good maps they could post? I would love to find some good trails to run. I'm a little timid, though, so I don't like a lot of roots and rocks. I love Twin Brook in Cumberland. All 3 of my kids run there, too. Thanks! Teresa

Here's some: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/user/blaine-moore I didn't notice the trail running option until February, so anything before that will be missing it. I'll email you the maps from some other trail monsters (don't feel comfortable putting them on a live message board) but you can search motion based for trail runs near you. Once Pineland Farms has clear trails, there's really great trails over there that are like running on grass roads. You aren't allowed to run on them when there is snow down though.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Here's some: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/user/blaine-moore I didn't notice the trail running option until February, so anything before that will be missing it. I'll email you the maps from some other trail monsters (don't feel comfortable putting them on a live message board) but you can search motion based for trail runs near you. Once Pineland Farms has clear trails, there's really great trails over there that are like running on grass roads. You aren't allowed to run on them when there is snow down though.
        Thanks, Blaine! You're right right, I forgot about Pineland. When I very first started running (couldn't even run 90 seconds straight), my friend took me there. It was hilly enough that I got discouraged and didn't go back! But it would be great for me now.

Email is on its way. The bird sanctuary in portland is pretty good too. It's on the right off of Congress street after passing Frost Street.

Run to Win

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Email is on its way. The bird sanctuary in portland is pretty good too. It's on the right off of Congress street after passing Frost Street.
            Is that where the office building is? Do you park in that lot?
              hey blaine, do you know anything about the woods behind the cumberland town hall? supposedly theres trails back there but since the snow has been so bad I haven't ventured out there yet. I just bought a house in cumberland center (on route 9 about 300 yards south from the tuttle/blanchard/main street intersection), and I'm hoping that route 9/tuttle won't be too busy to go jogging with my dog. If its too busy and dangerous for the dog, I may try those trails back there.
              2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eyedoc - Last time I was on those trails, they were in pretty bad shape. I got lost, too! The Boy Scouts are supposed to keep them up, so I should find out what the deal is. My son is in the troop! Can you run down Blanchard towards the Fair Grounds? I think there are some side roads that direction. You could also run towards North Yarmouth on the new sidewalk through town. Have you run at Twin Brook yet? That's a wonderful place. I drive through the main intersection in Cumberland many times each week! We're neighbors, practically. We've lived in North Yarmouth for 12 years and have really enjoyed the area. Teresa
                  teresa, yeah I am new to cumberland, as of March 21st anyway, and have been running around shopping for the new house, painting, and all kinds of projects since we closed, and haven't run in like 2 weeks! Do you run with a dog? Mine is only 10 months old so she's not too car-savvy yet, so I'm not too crazy about taking her on route 9. Twin brooks will be great, but may be a little hilly for me as I'm a beginner runner. I will defiintely be using that sidwalk that goes up past Food Stop. Does that continue once you hit route 115?
                  2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Welcome to Cumberland! I hope you enjoy living here. Yes, when you hit 115, take a left. Then there is a crosswalk just after you pass the right turn to Route 9, and then the sidewalk continues down Route 9 to the North Yarmouth Memorial School. So there's not a lot of extra length past 115, but a little! Since I live off of North Road, I usually park at the school and run into Cumberland. Sigh, I wish I could run with our dog, but he's a collie who constantly tries to herd me. I've tried a couple of times and almost killed myself tripping over him! It's too bad, because he LOVES to run. I consider myself a beginner runner, too! I joined a running group led by Tiki Humphries last April, when I was probably newer than you are now. Whew! She had us doing intervals on the high school track, and long runs at Twin Brook! She really pushed us. Looking back on it, I think it was good for me. So I encourage you to try TB when you get a chance. Just take it slow, and try to avoid it from 3 to 5 pm when the school kids aer using it - that can be demoralizing! Do you know about the Safe Passage 5k at the end of April? It starts on Route 9, next to the high school. That was my very first race last year! It's very flat, except for the one hill on Greely Road. I had to walk a little of it, so I'm looking forward to running the entire route this year. I hope I get to meet you sometime! Teresa
                    PWL

Has been

Ahh--the Cumberland/North Yarmouth folks. I used to run that area quite a bit when I was in high school (I went to Greely). It's been probably 10 years since I've run the Cumby area. That was before they put in all the sidewalks. I think at the time the sidewalk went from Greely Rd to the high school and that was it. It must be much nicer to run down there now.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Well, I don't know the specific trails; the only ones I've run in Cumberlandare the ones at Twin Brook and to the golf course. As for safe passage, I won't be running but I'll be there doing something or other, so say hi if you spot me.

Run to Win