NYC Marathon runners

2007 (Read 215 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

As I previously mentioned, I didn't get in the lottery last year, but I had the chance to be in NYC on business and went anyway. It was great! The expo was fun (I got a lot of energy just being around all those runners) and the men's Olympic trials were a real thrill. I was there when Ryan Hall blew away the field, the atmosphere there at the finish line was just incredible. Then a few hours later I was walking through Times Square and read the banner on the big board about Ryan Shay's death. Wow. Quite a memorable weekend, even though I didn't run. One more thing, on the day before the race (the day of the trials) I did a long run in Central Park, and afterward, I was walking down 5th Avenue back toward my hotel and, waiting to cross the street, right beside me, was a woman in a running outfit who looked familiar, and I realized that it was Grete Waitz! Standing right next to me, obviously in town for the Marathon the next day. I just wish I had said hello or something, but I was too star-struck. Here I was, standing next to Grete Waitz, and couldn't say a word. Sheesh.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016