NYC Marathon runners

Echo....ECHO!!! (Read 322 times)

Mishka-old log

Just testing. Quiet in here. Sooo....how's everyone's training going? Any goals for the race? Any goals have to be revised because of setbacks? As for me, I'm fairly satisfied with where I'm at right now. A few more miles under my belt would be nice, but I've got a decent base going and there's still time to get more miles in. My goals are as follows: Realistic: Sub-3 Optimistic: PR Perfect day: Beat Lance (if he's running) Anyone else?
      Training is going pretty well here. I am ahead of where I was last year, so that is a good thing! Looking forward to the long run on SaturdaySmile - Mary
      Mishka-old log

Mary...Did you run NY last year? Any pointers for first timers if you did? Not just strategy and racing, but can't-miss sights along the course, etc.
          So far so good. Hoping to break 3:20 which would also be a PR. I think I have a chance. This is my first time running it so I too would not mind hearing any advice about getting to the start. Any tips out there?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mary...Did you run NY last year? Any pointers for first timers if you did? Not just strategy and racing, but can't-miss sights along the course, etc.
            Yes, I did run the NY marathon last year, it was my first time. What can I say - it is absolutely amazing! It is hard to take everything in along the way. Brooklyn is great, the crowds are fantastic; Queens is a little on the quiet side; Manhattan is amaxing; the Bronx was surprisingly fun and supportive - I've heard that wasn't the case. The bands along the way are lots of fun! I don't even know what else to tell you. Here is a link to my experience from my blog: http://losingforlife.com/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=197DC710-CDBD-3400-B61D3DDA49E8921D Here is a link to a great spreadsheet that helps family/friends to know where you will be when: http://www.box.net/shared/ec0vyk6iah Let me know if you have any other questions. Mary
            Mishka-old log

Good stuff, Mary! Thanks! I'll check out your blog post. Twocat...I'm unsure about the start. I have some good friends that live on Staten Island, so I'm planning on taking full advantage of that. They're like 2.5 miles from the start.
                Running's going all right. I had a piriformis issue that nagged me for 2+ months, but I topped 200 miles this month already. First time since March. Feeling great. I keep telling myself I'm not going to pound this marathon, but we'll see. I do have the Monkey not even a month later. That I definitely will take it easy on.
                  Finally some chatter in this forum. I thought it was dead. I entered the NYCM lottery in a delusional moment while I was feeling good training for the New Jersey Marathon this May. When I was accepted to NYC I had serious mixed emotions. I was drained from NJ, but now I got into NYC! Anyway, my goal is to come somewhere close to my NJM time even though the course will be tougher. I've stepped up the training so I can handle the run without dying so I can enjoy the spectacle that I've heard it is. I hope the new wave start works well. Seems like a great idea.
                  2010 Goals: Danbury Half Marathon: <1:42:00; boston="" run="" to="" remember:=""></1:42:00;><1:42:00; nyc="" marathon:=""></1:42:00;><3:45:00; finish: run amuck and warrior dash! finish:="" run="" amuck="" and="" warrior=""></3:45:00; finish: run amuck and warrior dash!>
                  seeEricaRun

Awesome

Training's going okay. I'm doing Bay State a few weeks before and I hit my first 20-miler last weekend with no trouble. Bay State is my BQ goal, so I'm just running NYC for fun. I ran my nine races last year to qualify, and was going to back out this year, but my friends encouraged me to do it, because it's such a fun race.
                    Ojo

Thought I would join in to see if you all had any tips! I am a little late in my training since I only got accepted a few weeks ago. I will be doing my first 20 mile run this weekend and really looking forward to it. I also ran the NJ Marathon last May and am hoping for around the same time but given some of my injuries I just want to finish feeling good. This is a little TMI but I have heard so many stories about the start and the bathroom situation . . . is it really that bad? I must admit this is my biggest concern!

Sara

MM #2929

seeEricaRun

Awesome

This is a little TMI but I have heard so many stories about the start and the bathroom situation . . . is it really that bad? I must admit this is my biggest concern!
                        My husband did it in 2006 and said he waited over an hour in line for the bathroom. So yeah, I'd say it's a concern.