NYC Marathon runners

New York Times article (Read 236 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/the-marathon-a-race-like-no-other/ It's going to be a series. By the Author of "A Race Like No Other" which I will read if I get an entry. Has anyone read this?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

And be sure to read the comments after that article, it will remind you why you are doing this.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/21/the-marathon-a-race-like-no-other/ It's going to be a series. By the Author of "A Race Like No Other" which I will read if I get an entry. Has anyone read this?
        I've read it - it's pretty good. It takes the form of snippets of information about the history, route, organization etc of the marathon as the writer follows several runners, both elite and non-elite, mile by mile as they complete the course (I think it's the 2006 or 2007 marathon). You also get some back story on each of the runners, why they run, how they train, what the marathon means to them etc. So, by the time you finish the book, you feel like you've run the marathon as an elite and as a mid/back of the packer, plus you've had a guided tour of the entire race, from start to finish - it's a really nice format and written in a way that the writing doesn't get in the way of the the story. Definitely worth a read.