Northern California Forum

Marathons. (Read 203 times)

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

I'm flirting with the idea of doing my first marathon in December. I would do the California International Marathon in Folsom. Has anyone done this or is thinking about doing this?

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

kcam

I did it last year and will probably do it again. Organization was superb. Weather, last year, was cold and foggy (which is pretty good for a marathon if you ask me). Sometimes I've heard that there can be a headwind, though. You can check out the course profile yourself but it's downhill with the first half having more downhill, and uphills, than the second half.
      stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Foggy and cold sounds like perfect racing weather, period. Big grin Thanks for the info. I'm still intimidated with doing 26.2 miles. Eek.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

i've done the relay 3 years in a row, and have run all portions of the 26.2 miles. The course is slightly rolling almost the entire way. The shirts and medals are nice. It's well organized and has a good amount of spectator support, which is good to have on your first. It's large, also good to have for your first. It's not very scenic, but as far as cities go, not bad, really. The first half is kinda rural/urban before it gets into the standard city-street atmosphere. Towards the end of the run there are a few live bands. Like Ken said, it's well organized and the weather is usually great. Good aid stations along the way. One of hte better marathons in the country, I think, and it should be a great experience!
          Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado