Pennsylvania Trail & Ultra Running

Hyner 2013 (Read 29 times)

I agree.  It would be great if we could all meet up beforehand.  I am really excited it's so soon!!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Craig (RD) posted this on FB very recently: "Some updates on the trails at Hyner....today's storm wrecked Huff Run from the bridge up to the switchbacks. Trees everywhere!!!! Mother Nature is so cruel. If you're out this weekend, please give us a hand and move the small stuff off the trail. Then notify us of any other big damage you find. I know there's a pine tree on Spring Trail as well. We'll get what we can but the Hyner may have just become more challenging today!!!"

With more storms possibly rolling through today, this bodes for a more difficult event!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Oh no, I have not seen Craig's post yet - does not sound good. But I know he owns a big chain saw...  still won't get rid of all the mud. It was "dry" last year, and still plenty of slick stuff around (I remember sinking in almost knee-high early on already). "Just follow the mud" seems to hold for the course markings of the Hyner every year!

We should meet before the race, perhaps at the check-in? I'll drive up in the morning and plan on arriving somewhere around 6-6:30 a.m., so plenty of time to chat and get ready.

Excited to meet you all in person (again)!

Run for fun.

Oh no, I have not seen Craig's post yet - does not sound good. But I know he owns a big chain saw...  still won't get rid of all the mud. It was "dry" last year, and still plenty of slick stuff around (I remember sinking in almost knee-high early on already). "Just follow the mud" seems to hold for the course markings of the Hyner every year!

We should meet before the race, perhaps at the check-in? I'll drive up in the morning and plan on arriving somewhere around 6-6:30 a.m., so plenty of time to chat and get ready.

Excited to meet you all in person (again)!

I plan on being there about 6:30ish, as well.  I know I met some of you at the finish last year, but I don't imagine I'd recognize anyone by sight, and I'm even worse with remembering names in real life Undecided

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Never fear, once the weather forecast becomes somewhat reliable, I'll let you know what I'll be wearing. Probably my lonf-time favorite hat, which is a white cap with teal stripes on the sides that extend to the visor, and my shoulder-length brown hair tied into a ponytail. No idea on shirt or bottoms yet.

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

7-DAY FORECAST (for Hyner)

• Today A slight chance of showers before 3pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 60. South wind 8 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
              • Tonight A slight chance of rain or drizzle after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 48. Southeast wind 8 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
              • Tuesday A chance of showers, then showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. High near 63. South wind 6 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
              • Tuesday Night Showers and thunderstorms before 8pm, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm between 8pm and 2am, then a chance of showers after 2am. Low around 45. West wind around 5 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
              • Wednesday A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 56. North wind 3 to 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
              • Wednesday Night A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
              • Thursday A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 70. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
              • Thursday Night A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 53. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
              • Friday Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a high near 63. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
              • Friday Night Showers and thunderstorms likely. Cloudy, with a low around 39. Chance of precipitation is 70%.
              • Saturday A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 49. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Can we say it wil be wet this week?!? So the course should be plenty of mud and runoffs should not be low.  This is what we live for right? Not sure what I am wearing yet due to the changing forecast.  I will just bring it all and decide when I get there what to wear.  Can't miss me.  I am at least a head taller than most people.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I've been following the weather forecast, and I'm not really looking forward to all that mud. I guess I'll be wearing my old shoes, not because I wouldn't want the new shoes to be appropriately inaugurated, but because they fit tighter on my feet, which might be an advantage in the slippery mud.

But at least the chances of getting off course will be minimal - just follow the mud!

Run for fun.

I was hemming and hawing about using the drop bag option, but I'll be using it for sure, because I think I'll want a change of footwear if things are really messy.  Not sure about everything I'll be wearing, but look for the girl with obnoxious purple and white tie-dyed calf sleeves Smile

skeene07

Dirty Girl

We will still be there! Rik is still planning to run the 50k even after the 50 miler last weekend. I think he needs to drop down but what do I know Wink I am so excited to get to just go and hang out, take pictures, etc.

Good Luck you guys!!

i would be cool to get a group picture too!

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

First all Stacey - congrats! So awesome that you did well at BRR.

I agree - a group pic would be great.  People seem to congregate in the tree area that is close to the potta pottys/packet pick up area prior to the race.  Maybe 7:30ish????

I have decided that I will be wearing my grey Boston t-shirt in honor of the folks there.  My heart is still breaking.

Looks like the weather may be just about perfect.  Rain the day before but between 40's and 50's for race day.  I like it.

See you all there.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

+1 on the group picture, that should be fun!

I'm also using the drop bags, perhaps keep a pair of shoes in there, just in case (I don't expect to change, but if the mud is really bad, who knows).

So now I'm here trying to figure out what goes into the drop bag...

Edit: Stacey, congratulations on the 50-miler! I just read your blog. Well done, those constant ups and downs look pretty exhausting!

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Craig posted on FB that because of the storms and downed trees, the AS at the beginning of Johnson Run will not be there.  This was the AS at the bottom of Hyner.  The AS at Hyner view will now be a full AS.  Really doesn't change much in my opinion.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Grumble, I liked that AS, just as a mile-marker and heads-up before Johnson Run. Oh well, I think we'll live through it. Hopefully there won't be too many trees down across the trails, especially in the second half, when my legs tend to cramp up!

Run for fun.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Hey guys, my grandfather died very unexpectedly Thursday afternoon so Im not sure if I will be up or not.

If I am I will look near the trees by the port o potties for you all! Or look for me near the bearded guys (Leon and Gary!).

if I don't make it up...Good Luck out there!!

ps. I was on RW lurking last night and saw LB over there Jamie, I saw you had asked Wink

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

7:30ish near the trees/porta-pots: got it!  Stacey: my condolences.  I'll most likely be wearing this dark-pinkish long-sleeved top.  Hopefully I'll see you all Saturday, and who knows, maybe Friday?  I plan on picking up my packet tonight on my way by (after I go home and sleep a bit, since I wasn't lucky enough to not be needed at work tonight).  We are so close and I am psyched!!