Pickens County Y Race Team

Festival of Flowers (Read 94 times)

pschriver

Is anybody other than Josh doing this race? It is a well run olympic distance race. I did it several years ago and had planned to return this year but unfortunately I have to work.

If I can give any tips, it would be to prepare for a hot day. The race starts early and I would use tinted goggles on the swim. The first part is straight into the sunrise. Sighting the bouys is tough. The bike ride is fairly rolling much like the terrain we have around here. The run dips into some shaded areas but  a lot of it is on the open road under the blistering sun. Unless they have changed the finish line it has a sadistic hill right at the end.

Good luck to everyone 

I'm not planning on it this year mainly because I've had several races lately (got to ride in the P3 ride this am!) BUT I did do it last year and really enjoyed it.  It was very hot for sure and yes the hill at the end is awful but I can deal with that when you see the finish line at the top of it and a sprinkler tent right after that Smile

Good luck Josh!!

thanks for the pointers, Peter....  I will need all the help i can get.  I'm excited though because this will be my first olympic distance tri and it will be the first tri i've done since last September.  Like i've mentioned before on here, i had some issues with my left forefoot but i'm getting to the point where i can start training a little harder again.  it's been a 9-10 week process, partly because i haven't rested it enough.  Eric Hunter, Randy Parks and Eric Stone will also be doing this race.  i just hope they don't beat me by more than 30 minutes.

Cindy: thanks for the good luck!

ehunter

Yep, what Josh said.

First race for me since last August and only the second since Ironman CdA two years ago.  When you burn out, you burn out!

Anyway, this will be the 3rd or 4th time I've did this one - but the first time since 2008 or 09.  Don't have big expectations for this one (actually don't expect to beat my own time on this course) but it is one of my favorite local races.  I'm looking forward to it mainly because I am finally excited to be able to race again. A long time coming.

ehunter

Looks like Fest of Flowers will continue the tradition of being a hot race...high will be close to 90.  Not so much during race time of course. But it will be typical! Smile