RA Coaching Forum

Need help building a marathon plan (Read 379 times)

Think Whirled Peas

I'm gunning for my first marathon in October (Oct. 19 - Grand Rapids) and am looking to build my plan based on 18 weeks. I'm currently running about 35 mpw, but plan on running in the 45-55 mpw average for the training. I would expect to peak at 65-70 miles, around 3-4 weeks out. I've been running for just over a year, and am comfortable running every day. I typically run 5-6 days a week, and each run is usually 5 miles in length. My longest run to date is 15 miles. I have time to do a mid-week, mid-long run on Wednesday evenings, and plan on Sundays as my long day. I have three races tagged over the 18 weeks, none are goal races, but I would like to keep them in mind as I build the plan. June 28 - 15k (16 weeks out); August 23 - 10 miler (8 weeks out); Sept. 28 - HM (3 weeks out). I'll probably sprinkle in a 5k here or there as I get the opportunity, but again, I will not want to alter my schedule much (essentially train through them). My thoughts are to build the plan in 3 increments of 6 weeks. The first 6 weeks I want to just ramp up mileage, w/out much in the way of of anything other than getting used to the load. The second 6 weeks will start to include hill workouts once a week (Tuesday) and mile repeats (or some such work) once a week (Friday). The final 6 weeks are probably the most crucial, and where I really need help. I don't know what I should focus on over this period. I also need some help figuring out when to take a day off. My initial thoughts are that I would take one off every two weeks, but I'm not sure. Tapering? No clue. Speed work, relative to a marathon, no idea. I need help!!!! Smile Please note: I've not mentioned a goal pace or time. It's my first shot at the 26.2 and I don't want to set any expectation other than finishing in one piece. That said, I also want to approach this by respecting the distance, hence giving it my best effort. I would welcome any input from people, and appreciate you taking the time to help a n00b out. Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Welcome Q (you're far from a noob)! I'm not exactly a noop, though far from an expert. I'll probably add some thoughts to this a little later. CONGRATS on moving up to Marathon training!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Future running partner.

Welcome Welcome! You and I have very similar goals and are very close in experience and ability. I am currently building a schedule myself and have my own thread here in this Forum which I use as kind of a log so its kind of long winded. A fewthings right off the bat: --Try to work up to about a 3hr long run. --Make your longest run at least 3 weeks before the race. --As you increase your long run and weekly mileage, use the 10% rule. You may be able to ramp up mileage faster but this is a good rule of thumb to help stay injury free. I think that given your half marathon PR, that you could run a respectable full marathon time without too much more work. Probably sub 4 hrs just lengthening your long run and your weekly mileage a little. Perhaps we can help each other stay on track. Cool

Think Whirled Peas

Welcome Q (you're far from a noob)! I'm not exactly a noop, though far from an expert. I'll probably add some thoughts to this a little later. CONGRATS on moving up to Marathon training!
          Hey Rocken, I would love to get your thoughts on this!

Think Whirled Peas

Welcome Welcome! You and I have very similar goals and are very close in experience and ability. I am currently building a schedule myself and have my own thread here in this Forum which I use as kind of a log so its kind of long winded. A fewthings right off the bat: --Try to work up to about a 3hr long run. --Make your longest run at least 3 weeks before the race. --As you increase your long run and weekly mileage, use the 10% rule. You may be able to ramp up mileage faster but this is a good rule of thumb to help stay injury free. I think that given your half marathon PR, that you could run a respectable full marathon time without too much more work. Probably sub 4 hrs just lengthening your long run and your weekly mileage a little. Perhaps we can help each other stay on track. Cool
            Hi Tom! When's your race? and where are you racing? I definitely will keep tabs on you. Thanks for the input too. One question regarding the 3 weeks last long run thought. I have a HM 3 weeks out, so my plan was to run it at my expected marathon pace, and see how I feel. If everything goes well, I would probably do my last long run the next Sunday, which would put me 2 weeks out from the marathon. Cutting it too close?

Future running partner.

It will more than likely be the Baltimore Marathon which is Oct 11th. I havn't bit the bullet yet for that one cause I've had some other expenses come up recently. If I can't get into that one, I am in the lotter for NYC. if I don't get into that one I'll do the City of Oaks Marathon here in Raleigh. As far as your long run being 2 weeks out thats a good question. That's right about the day when tapering is supposed to happen. There was a pretty good article in RW recently about tapering for a marathon. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--12123-1-1-2,00.html There is also another thread with some good advice too in the Marathon Madness Forum. http://runningahead.com/groups/MMM/Forum/3146ee22ac9e4b3b991cef5ff43faa8f Tom