RA Coaching Forum

SurfNRun - Quest for Sub 4 hr Honolulu Marathon - Dec 9, 07 (Read 973 times)

muse_runner

keep running.

Pfitz is awesome. After next week I start my next mesocycle. The program rocks. It feels perfect for me. Big grin I am getting faster lately so that is a huge ego boost. awwww schniizzzle. I highly recommend 18/55 with all my heart~ I am making revisions too. More on that later... Roll eyes also looking for a job too... more on that later as well ... Roll eyes
    running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
    btb1490

How'd the paddle race go? Now that that's out of the way, time to run, right?
        Yes how did the paddle race go Steve? Can't wait to hear how your training is taking off now!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prophet!

hi folk... What a way to do inter-island travel. The race went well. We came in at 6 hrs and 6 minutes. Given that we are a small club and a mixture of paddlers who haven't really been together for a whole season, a novice steersman...it went great, we far exceeded our own expectations. 68 out of 108 crews. The top team, Tahitian crew, came in at 4 hrs and 40 minutes...kicked everybody's butts. All through the week before race day everybody was buzzing about the 15 - 30 mph winds we were getting and there were talks of 16 - 18 ft swells and rough conditions..but on race day the winds dialed down a bit and the there were only 6 - 8 ft swells. It was a bit rough but not as rough as it could have been. Everything went as well as they could, no capsize, no mutiny on the boat (although there are few tense moments when everybody is starting to get tired and start yapping at each other). I felt good all the way through. All the running i've been doing kept me in shape enough to finish the race strong even though i have only gotten back to paddling about 3 months ago. I got to be in the crew that finished the race so that was nice. Now back to running, yesterday i did a 5 miler which felt pretty good and added some strides. I need to avoid cranking up the mileage too fast, just make sure i take it pretty easy. But yeah, looking forward to marathon training. Peace out!
            WTG on your paddle race!!!! Glad to hear your 5 miler went well. Things are going to be so much easier for you now that you're focusing on one goal! Keep up the great work Steve!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prophet!

Week whatever it is... blatant disregard for the 10% rule. 37 total miles in 5 runs. Put in my first real long run this season, 16 miler which pretty much kicked my butt. Never felt good throughout the whole run. Might have been the sudden jump in mileage, we'll see if my planned 18 miler this weekend will be a better one. I think i am keeping my 4 hr as a goal marathon time (9:10 marathon pace) even though i feel like i am not quite there yet. It doesn't help that i'm 10 pounds heavier since i started paddling again. Peace out!
                Steve, sorry to hear you got your butt kicked on your 16 miler. I think you summed up the reasons well in your log entry - ie: no gel/only gatorade + rain + isn't it pretty hot there still or is it always hot there?. And congrats on breaking the 10% rule - I'm a proponent of breaking that rule too. You'll be back in the swing of things soon. Good luck in your 18 miler next weekend!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

That paddle race sounded pretty wild! Great job out there even finishing the thing, I can't imagine how grueling that must be. Ease back into your running and you'll get back to speed in no time!
                    yes make sure you go easy with your long runs!! You may find that you need to cut your 18 miler back to a 16 miler. Good luck hun!!

Prophet!

well i got a stomach bug that hit my son a few days earlier. That explained my crappy tuesday morning run and maybe the sunday run ??? Anyway, took wednesday off, which actually might serve me well, and hopefully hit 8 miles tomorrow morning. Not sure though cause my wife got the bug today and was pretty sick tonite, hopefully she'll recover by tomorrow morning.

Prophet!

Week something... Well its been a while but i finally got over 40 mpw again and everything felt fine...minus the pace that i wanted to be at but its all gravy!. Managed to do the 18 miler on sunday although not quite the conventional long run way. Ran 8, then a 5K race @MP (9:10) and 7 after. This week is stepback week although i'll probably bump up the midweek mileage to catch up.
                          Week something... Well its been a while but i finally got over 40 mpw again and everything felt fine...minus the pace that i wanted to be at but its all gravy!. Managed to do the 18 miler on sunday although not quite the conventional long run way. Ran 8, then a 5K race @MP (9:10) and 7 after. This week is stepback week although i'll probably bump up the midweek mileage to catch up.
                          I'm guessing that the stomach bug is all over with and you are feeling better! Good deal. Careful about adding mileage to stepback weeks, though. They are also called recovery weeks for a good reason. Nice run - I did something similar on my 10-miler on Sunday - but I can't say it was for any reasons related to training. I was just having fun on a nice morning.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

Steve, well done getting over 40 miles last week. Pretty cool throwing in a race in the middle of your long run too, I often do that as well. As Mike said though, be careful about cheating on those stepback weeks. It's usually pretty hard to make up for lost time and workouts without getting sick or hurt. Hopefully everyone is over their bugs and feeling better by now!
                              WTG on your milage last week!!! Hope everyone at home is feeling better!!

Prophet!

thanks folks... i was really torn about the 5K. I wanted to race it but at the same time i knew if i race it i wouldn't be able to pull off full long run. Then i found out that the Race for the Cure 5K this year didn't have timing chips so i thought hey, why not just run it at MP. It was hard watching people pass me by but for some reason i was smart enough to keep the pace. I'll definitely take it easy this week.