RA Coaching Forum

Jeffgoblue's Training Journal (Read 686 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ok, I've lurked around here long enough and occasionally posted. Time to get down to bid'ness. Last year was my first full year of running since probably about 2001. I had my last atrial fibrillation episode at the end of that year after a sweet 16-miler. Kind of tapered off after that, and once kids came, running went. I'm pleased with 2007 -- 600+ miles and 35 lbs lost. I pussed out of running a Turkey Trot where (based on previous workouts) I believe I would have run sub 19:30 for 5k. December was a sucky month for running, and that has carried in to 2008. Finally broke the seal and ran today. My goals for 2008: Total Miles: 1500+ 1mile: HTFU and run the all-comers track meet this June. Sub-5 would be a dream, 5:20 is more realistic. Did I mention I ran a 4:01 4 years ago? Wink [PR 4:39 1990] 5k: Sub 18:00 [PR 16:23 1989] 10k: Sub 38:00 [PR 35:38 1987] Longer: will run up to half-marathon distance, but long races are probably not my focus. Depends on the training. However, if I put enough miles under my belt, I may run Huntsville's Rocket City Marathon next December just to get one under my belt (longest race for me ever is 25k). However, my primary focus for 2008 is 5k. I plan to spend the first half of the year building up miles, nice and easy. No MAF for me, just run easy and listen to my body. I'll do the occasional tempo run, and utilize the hills that I live near when possible. I hope to get more intense during the second half of the year. I may try a 5k training program by Dr. Owen Anderson of Running Research News that involves a lot of running specific strength training. Or not, we'll just see how it goes. Looking forward to a great 2008! Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Great set of goals, Jeff. Glad you came out of the woodwork and glad to have you here. Scout threw a metronome at me earlier today that you can borrow. Wink

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

Welcome Jeff! Looks like you've got some untapped speed in those legs, waiting to be woken up again! Keep us posted with your progress!
        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nice easy 4.2 miler today at lunch, about 8:30 pace. Nice day for an easy run -- 54°F and sunny. Everyone was crowing about how great the warm weather was the last two days when it was in the 70's. Me, I thought it sucked. Give me 45°F and overcast over sunny and 77° any day of the week. At least while I'm running. Only trouble spot today was when I had to nearly sprint across the highway. My heart rate went way above MAF. On the flip side, I'll bet my cadence got close to 180 during that little effort. Tongue If I'm gonna make this large base-building thing work, I'm gonna have to suck it up and run in the morning. Running at lunch is too unpredictable and constrained. However, my son doesn't sleep well -- I probably got 3 hours of sleep total last night, which killed any chances of a morning run.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Did 4.32 miles at lunch today in 32:32 (7:32 pace). Felt pretty good today. A road that's been under construction near work for some time finally opened, so now I have more options with my courses. Plus, there's a nice hill on it. It'll be good to get some new routes going. Mile splits were 7:41, 7:33, 7:51 (hill), 7:13, 7:10 (0.32). Faster than what I want to run in base training, but the weather was great and I felt good, so I busted right on through that MAF threshold and just enjoyed it.

Scout7

Feel the Kung Fu, my friend. Feel it. Sounds like a good run.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, I pretty much got what I wanted out of the past week, which was to get back on the horse after a December highlighted by illness, booze, food, and not much running. This past week was 20 miles, which isn't much, but since I only ran 21 in all of December, it's just about right. Had what a amounted to a pretty hard run Saturday. I pushed my 5 year-old daughter in a jogging stroller up and down the hills near where I live. It was only 3 miles, but I was spent it alternately sucking wind on the uphills and holding onto the stroller for dear life on the downhills. Heart rate got up to 187 at the end. If you believe 220-Age (which I don't, of course), that means I was pushing it to 102% on that last uphill. Clowning around I'm just in a pure base mileage phase right now, so I'm not operating on any particular schedule; I'm just trying to feel Kung-fu. May run a 4-mile race Feb 10, but we'll just have to see how kung-fu feels around that time.

Scout7

You're the poster child why formulas are completely worthless. Awesome! I can definitely sympathize with getting back on the horse. That's where I'm at right now, too. So far, so good.
                    Nice workout with the stroller, Jeff. A 102% is always a good workout. Was looking at your chart - where your HR spikes on the flat between 1.0 and 1.25. Was wondering if the spike came from looking at the hill and then at the stroller and thinking "Oh, shit!". Big grin I'll bet mine would have.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Was looking at your chart - where your HR spikes on the flat between 1.0 and 1.25. Was wondering if the spike came from looking at the hill and then at the stroller and thinking "Oh, shit!". Big grin I'll bet mine would have.
                      Heh. At that point my quads were hurting from the pounding of trying to stay under control going down the hill, so I just let loose and tried to keep up with the stroller (safety strap attached, so no worries). There was a definite sense of careening out of control and running fast, so the heart rate was a combination of speed and panic in the last part of the downhill. Surprised

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Easy 4-miler yesterday, and an easy 2-miler this morning. No big deal, except both were done in the morning on my treadmill. I'm still only partially moved into my house, but I managed to uncover the treadmill in the garage and get it going. It's nice and cool out there (in the 40's or 50's), and with no air movement to speak of, I can actually run comfortably shirtless. Pretty funny moment when our cat tried to hop on yesterday. She didn't try it a second time. This is important because I'm trying to transition into morning running. I woke too late this morning to do much, but if I'm ever gonna build up miles, it has to be in the am -- I can't really get in much more than 3~4 miles at lunch at work, and if soemthing comes up and I have to skip the run, then I pretty much end up with an unplanned (and unwanted) rest day. Running on the 'mill feels harder than outside from an RPE standpoint, but when I check my heart rate, I'm actually not working that hard. I think it's mental and I just have to get used it. I did notice this amazing thing on the treadmill. When I was running really slow, my turnover was really slow. But as I sped up, my turnover increased. Amazing. I bet I could get it up to 180 if I cranked up the treadmill and gave 101%. Clowning around I don't plan on abandoning my lunch runs -- eventually, I could see me doing 6 mi in the morning, and 3~4 real easy at lunch time permitting.

Scout7

I did notice this amazing thing on the treadmill. When I was running really slow, my turnover was really slow. But as I sped up, my turnover increased. Amazing. I bet I could get it up to 180 if I cranked up the treadmill and gave 101%. Clowning around
                          Do you purposely try to make me sad?
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Do you purposely try to make me sad?
                            Sorry that my remark wasn't Closed-Captioned for the Sarcastically Impaired. Tongue This will break your heart, though -- when I run short, hard intervals, I do think about turnover to maintain my intensity. And I think of a particular song in my head has haunted the dreams of Penn St. fans since Judgment Day in 1997. Yep, you guessed it. The Victors.

Scout7

That's ok, because I think about fall of '94..... Thinking about increasing your turnover is one thing. I think it's something that can be worked on, and there is a point where a runner should. I just dislike "magic numbers". But you know all that.
                              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That's ok, because I think about fall of '94.....
                                Yeah, me too. Somehow, late in the game Amani Toomer gets behind the Penn St. secondary. Todd Collins launches a perfectly thrown ball that Toomer misjudges, and lands a few feet beside him. Game over. But that pales in comparison to earlier that fall, with the infamous Colorado Kordell Stewart Hail Mary. I was at that game and the trauma was so immense that I had bad dreams involving that play for about six years after that. But enough about that -- it's time for Bonus Miles. An employee luncheon that I thought was today is tomorrow. Downside: no food, and I didn't pack a lunch. Upside: an easy 4-miler at lunch. Big grin