RA Coaching Forum

Jeffgoblue's Training Journal (Read 686 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

How is your potassium and other nutrient intake? Leg cramps sometimes came for me when I'm down on potassium or dehydrated. Chris
    Good question, Chris. I'd have to say -- not enough. Since it's cold out, I certainly am not thinking of fluid / electrolyte issues. I'm not sure if cramp is the right word, it didn't feel like the classic, dehydration cramp. Either way, I need to focus on some more strength and flexibility to take care of this.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Well, thank goodness for running logs. Looking back, I had a real similar left calf injury in August 2007. At that time, I tried to run through it, and I tried to do a lot of stretching. This seemed to only prolong things So now, the verdict is to a little more time off. Counting today, this is 5 days in a row. So, I'll rest until at least next Monday. I stopped stretching a few days ago, so that''s good. I tried using "The Stick" for some massage, and it seemed to make things worse. Any thoughts -- should I just leave it completely alone, or continue massage?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

C-R

No doc here but I fought calf achilles issues quite often last year and now have succeffully rid myslef of this issue. Question - where is the pain (center between the muscles, left side or right side, high or closer to the achilles)? A bit of personal trigger point massage might help as it did for me. My guess is that you still have micro type tears that have created "knots" for a lack of a better term throughout the muscle. These need to be "worked out". From my experieince, the "stick" won't really help rid you of these but you can eliminate them if you can isolate and work them using your hand. My issues were with the soleus just above the achilles and more to the center of the calf. Reaching this muscle for isolation work is not easy but well worth it. A few days of this and your rest should get you back for easy running. I used the Trigger Point Therapy book which teaches you how to manage this on your own. You can find at BN or Borders or Amazon. Best $19 I've invested in my running in many years. Good luck

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Good advice. My problem is right in the meaty part of the calf, slightly towards the inside. Since I had something there before, I'm inclined to believe that I've got some old scar tissue that needs to be worked out. Thanks for the book recommendation -- I'll check it out.