RA Coaching Forum

btb's running log (Read 1123 times)

btb1490

Nice morning.... I was pleasantly surprised to see the thermometer reading 10* cooler this AM as compared to how it's been all week. Humidity was down too. I was looking forward to this run all week, and now with the cooler temps, I really couldn't wait to get out there. This would be my longest run since starting back up again, so I was a little bit anxious too. The plan was to run 13 miles at marathon (goal) pace + 10%. At my present level of fitness, I figured if I had tried to run that pace right now, it probably would've been more like marathon pace +2%, so my realistic goal was to run at +15%. After the first usually slow mile (gotta get those kinks out first), I settled into what felt like a comfortable pace of what MP+15% should feel like. Surprisingly though, the pace turned out to be just what the program called for, +10%. I didn't argue with it, and kept at the same comfort level, and was able to hold that same pace pretty easily. Miles 5-8 were pretty darn hilly, and they kicked my butt a bit and the pace dropped off, but that was to be expected. Kept the same effort for the last 5 miles, my pace dropped slightly, but not too bad. I guess what this is telling me is that my stamina has dropped off, but again that's no surprise given my layoff. I know within a few weeks, things will be right where they should be, barring unforseen circumstances. Finished up the last mile by running barefoot on the grass. What a great feeling cool damp grass is on your feet. Funny sight on the run. I was approaching a fruit and vegetable farmstand, one that is unmanned. There is a sign that says "Self service, thank you for your honesty" and a cash box sitting there for you to put your money in. There were 3-4 deer there helping themselves to the goodies. I wonder if they payed? Also got to see an awesome sunrise over the bay. I just love this early morning stuff, and as much as I grumble getting out of bed, once I'm out the door and see the world at that hour while most everyone is still sleeping, it is well worth it. Grabbed the dog and went for a nice 2 mile walk afterwards. What a great way to cool down. I'm really happy with how todays run went. I didn't think I'd be feeling this good this early on. Knock wood. One thing I am concerned with however is my running form. Since my knee surgery in December, I noticed my running favored that left leg that I had the surgery on. That imbalance is what caused me the stress fracture in my foot. Now that I'm back running again, I can tell I am still running lopsided and favoring that left side, mostly due to psychological reasons, because physically I feel ok. But this lopsidedness is bound to cause other problems as the miles add up. We'll see. Better stock up on lots of ice. Thanks for reading. Smile
    btb1490

Easy does it... Ahhh, recovery day. 5 miles nice and easy, and this body needed it. It is as much an effort to hold back and run really slowly on these days as it is to push really hard on the hard days. But recovery days are just as important to the program as the hard days are. Come this Tuesday when the program calls for a hard tempo run, my body will be thankful for these rest days.
      btb1490

And on the 7th day... I rested. Actually, it's technically the first day of the weekly training cycle... minor detail. I'm glad it's a rest day. After only my 2nd week of running after a 6 week layoff, this week kinda kicked my butt. I know I'm pushing it a bit this early on, but this is the accelerated program for the Steamtown marathon in October. Tuesdays tempo run left me kinda wiped out and sore the rest of the week. After Saturday's long run, I was pretty much a zombie the rest of the day, falling asleep on the couch while watching the TDF. On Sunday I was pretty useless. This upcoming week should be interesting. Last weeks recap. Tue - 8 miles with 3x1.5mi @ tempo pace Wed - 5 miles easy Thu - 9 miles easy medium long run Fri - see Wed Sat - 13 miles @ MP+10% Sun - see Wed again 45 miles for the week. Off to take a nap now..... yeah right, I wish.
        btb1490

Tempo Tuesday... Today was this training cycles 2nd tempo run. Last weeks kicked the crap outta me for the rest of the week, so understandably I was a bit anxious about this one. 2x2 miles with .5 mile rest inbetween. With a warmup/cooldown, 7 miles total. It was clear, cool, just a slight breeze, so conditions were good. Darn, if it was hot and humid and I had a bad run, I could always blame it on the weather. Not so today though. I want to note that I picked up my new orthotics from the podiatrist last night, so today was my first run in them. They got redone to take care of taking some pressure off the spot where I had my foot sfx, in addition to a few other adjustments to account for some other issues that were picked up from the computerized gait analysis. I also want to note that I got a Garmin 305 recently, and even though I run by feel most of the time, it's pretty cool how you can program your workouts into it ahead of time, and have it tell you when to start and stop your interval, and whether you are on pace or not. Nice training tool. Anyway, the run went well. My tempo pace was about the same as last week, but I didn't feel like the workout sucked the life out of me this time. We'll see tomorrow though! My splits for the 1st and 2nd intervals were just a couple of seconds apart, and the effort remained fairly consistent throughout. Good solid workout.
            I also want to note that I got a Garmin 305 recently, and even though I run by feel most of the time, it's pretty cool how you can program your workouts into it ahead of time, and have it tell you when to start and stop your interval, and whether you are on pace or not. Nice training tool.
            That's why I love mine so much too. It helps tremendously for things like strides and intervals. Great for learning pacing too - with me being so new back to running I'm not so good at it yet.
            Anyway, the run went well. My tempo pace was about the same as last week, but I didn't feel like the workout sucked the life out of me this time. We'll see tomorrow though! My splits for the 1st and 2nd intervals were just a couple of seconds apart, and the effort remained fairly consistent throughout. Good solid workout.
            Nice to hear that it went better than last time. I'm off to run my tempo run in a bit and hope it goes as well as yours.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

maybe this training stuff really works... Mike, thanks again for stopping by. I hope your tempo run went well! 6 miles easy today. What a difference from last weeks day-after-tempo-workout run. Last week I was so tired and sore from the tempo run that I limped through the following days run. But this AM, I felt pretty darn good heading out the door, despite a restless night. Yesterdays lunch apparantly didn't agree with me too well, so I was up and down most of the night. Tongue It was a calm, foggy morning, very muggy. Walked the dog first for a warmup. Then hit the road for my run, and felt good from start to finish. Did the last 3/4 mile barefoot on grass, and boy did that feel great, not just on the legs and feet, but also the cool, dewey grass under you is such a nice feeling. All that dew made the spiderwebs show up really well on the grass, there were 100's of them! That looked really cool, especially with the sun starting to glisten off them. Many of the webs were the kind that look like funnels, and the spider was sitting there waiting at the bottom of the funnel to catch its unsuspecting prey. Nature is so cool! Don't think I've mentioned that in the evenings, I've been pretty diligent about doing yoga and using the foam roller to get the kinks out. For me, keeping up with that stuff is key to keeping this old body functioning.
              btb1490

Bad days.... ...make you appreciate the good days even more, right? This morning's 12 miler will make the rest of my runs this week seem wonderful then! It was just one of those days. A combination of warm, muggy weather and a tired body came together to produce a "just get me through this" kind of run this AM. Don't get me wrong, it is always great to be out there, but at the end of the run today, I was glad it was over with. The sweat was flying off the ends of my fingertips with each armswing. Kept a pretty steady effort throughout, maybe dropping off pace 5 seconds per mile the last few miles, I was pretty warm at that point. Oye, just glad it's done.
                btb1490

the soup continues... Another warm, muggy, calm, sweat dripping everywhere morning. 6 miles easy. Felt pretty good given yesterdays icky 12 miler. Finished up with 10x100 strides, first time I've done those in a while. Boy did the first few feel klunky! But then things smoothed out. Gotta do more of those to work on form and efficiency. Did an extra mile at the end barefoot on the grass to make the run a 7 miler instead. Then I stood outside for about 10 minutes waiting for the sweat waterfall to stop. Left a nice puddle underneath me.
                    Morning Bob, Sounds like you've been getting in some good runs! Love the description of the sweat waterfall - it used to gross me out to sweat like that - now I look at it as a badge of honor. My tempo run went great the other day - but was really tight afterwards - so I ran Wednesday's recovery run at a true recovery pace and felt better as a result. Last night was 11 miles - first 4 in a light rain - next 6 were dry - last mile in the light rain again and ending in a beautiful rainbow! I'm off to Florida for vacation for a week - so good running to you and "see" you when I return.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

btb1490

Morning Bob, Sounds like you've been getting in some good runs! Love the description of the sweat waterfall - it used to gross me out to sweat like that - now I look at it as a badge of honor. My tempo run went great the other day - but was really tight afterwards - so I ran Wednesday's recovery run at a true recovery pace and felt better as a result. Last night was 11 miles - first 4 in a light rain - next 6 were dry - last mile in the light rain again and ending in a beautiful rainbow! I'm off to Florida for vacation for a week - so good running to you and "see" you when I return.
                      Hi Mike! Thanks for stopping by!! I too am used to the sweat waterfall. lt just grosses everyone else out now. Glad your tempo run went well! Light rain with a rainbow at the end... can't get much better than that. And it sounds like you used your recovery run for its intended purpose! Enjoy your vacation! I hope running will be involved!
                      btb1490

squish squish squish... That was the sound coming from my shoes after about 5 miles into today's 16 miler. Even though I was on the road by 6am, it was miserably hot and humid out. Today's schedule called for a progressively fast finish, and I had my doubts about finishing at all given the weather. But hey, no sense worrying about what hasn't happened yet, so you give it a shot and see what happens, right? The early miles actually felt pretty good. I really tried to keep it at the slower end of my long run pace, but I felt pretty good. Not that I consciously pushed the pace, it just felt very easy and comfortable, so I went with it. Got to 10 miles and things were getting a bit tougher as the heat really became a factor. I started picking up the pace anyway the last 6 miles, starting out at marathon pace +50 seconds, which was only slightly faster that what I had been going anyway. The plan was to pick it up 10 seconds/mile for each successive mile. That worked for 4 miles, but then I started getting into big trouble with the heat and had to back off big time the last 2 miles. But it's done. I was a mess most of the rest of the morning and early afternoon. Stomach cramps, couldn't stop sweating, dizzy. Probably a little heat stroke, and definitely dehydration, even though I downed a lot of fluids out there. Late in the afternoon now, I'm finally starting to feel human again after 2 qts of Gatorade and a ton of water. I ofter wonder if it's harder to train through the winter, or through the summer.
                        btb1490

When is a recovery day not a recovery day....? When it's so darn hot and humid out that no matter how slowly you go, you are still working your butt off! Had to wait till around 10am to run, by then it was cooking. Picked a route near the water with as much shade as possible, but there wasn't a breath of wind, so it didn't seem to help much. Strapped on my iPod, which I rarely run with, but today I wanted the distraction, and sloshed through 5 miles. How do you keep your earpods from getting all gunked up with sweat? It eventually sounds like you are listening to music while under water. I'm thinking an easy bike ride may be in order for later in the day, then a dip in the lake for sure! Other than that, lots of nothing planned.
                          btb1490

It's been dewey... ...but that makes for some great spiderweb photos! Check out the guy in the center of the vortex, waiting for his prey.
                            btb1490

Last week's recap... A combination of ramping up the miles rather quickly, plus the relentless heat and humidity left me pretty tired most of the week. Saturday's long run in the heat pretty much left me useless the rest of the weekend. Can't believe how much it took out of me. I actually got a nap in on Sunday! Can't remember when that happened last. Tue - 7 miles with 2x2 miles @ tempo pace Wed - 6 miles easy Thu - 12 miles easy medium long run Fri - 7 miles easy Sat - 16 miles, finishing progressively faster Sun - 5 mile recovery 53 miles for the week. The ante gets upped again this coming week. The weather forecast says its only gonna get hotter...
                              btb1490

Character builder... What else can you say about a workout that darn near left you laying by the side of the road? I woke up feeling rested and ready to take on this run. 10 miles with 4 @ tempo pace. Outside though, I could hear water dripping, and it wasn't even raining. Another drippy, warm, muggy morning. Ok, so lets tone down the expectations a bit and make the best of it. The 3 mile warmup felt pretty good, probably cuz I was running so slowly. The sun started to peek above the horizon and the fog, and hung in the sky like a big red marble. Then it was tempo time. Hit the first mile at my target pace, so far so good. Tried to hold it for mile 2, which I did, but the effort went up exponentially, had to back down on mile 3, my legs were getting that pins and needles feeling, held it steady on mile 4, but it was all I could do to hold that pace. The final 3 mile cooldown seemed to take forever, I usually finish my runs wanting more, but not today. I was totally shot by the end of this one. 24oz. of water was used up by mile 7. After the run, I got a bottle of icy cold Gatorade from the fridge, and for the life of me, I couldn't get the top opened, no matter how hard I tried. That's how shot I was. Grabbed a can of Slimfast instead (it has a pop top which I was able to manage!) and chugged that. Grabbed the dog and went for a cooldown walk. I was still dripping profusely. About halfway through the walk, I started getting goosebumps and got really lightheaded. Had serious doubts about making it back. I was still overheated. Did make it back though and jumped right into an icy cold shower. This one was tough.