RA Coaching Forum

Callie's Quest for Boston (Read 390 times)

Okay, background info can be found here: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/RACF/Forum/983b95925f6648d28d2ab29f3624b6ae I am going to use this thread to document my training, and hopefully you guys will pop in and help me out sometimes! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Long run: 2 hr 1 min 54 sec (13.15 miles at 6.5 mph) 9:17/mile Thoughts: I deliberatly ran slower than normal. The last half my body was pulling at the reigns, and I can see that it's going to be difficult to hold myself back. For the most part I tried to stick to a heart rate of 148 but found myself venturing up to 160 and higher when I got lost in the 'zone'. My legs are a bit tired today, but that's also due to ramped up mileage this week, as well as a tough yoga workout last night at 9pm. I increased my miles far faster than I intended due to the C25k I've been doing with my sister. I'm going to have to be more aware of that as we progress with her training, and make more of my own running easier and shorter than the 5 mile minimum I've imposed recently. I can't decide which marathon to run, and I plan on posting a thread in the main forums on Monday. I've narrowed it down to Carlsbad, California International (Sacramento), and Pacific Shoreline. I can't decide which would give me the best chance of qualifying for Boston. All have 'rolling hills', but are billed as being fairly flat.
    "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
    mikeymike

Going by reputation only since I haven't run it, CIM is very fast. A lot of people have traveled pretty far to run it as an Olympic Trials Qualifier.

Runners run

muse_runner

keep running.

CIM is very rolling and that's why I like it. It's ups and downs. Once you hit the flat part the last 10k it really sucks 'cause its pancake flat. I prefer rolling hills. it's really your preference. I LOVED pac shoreline and I would consider the full strongly based on my positive experience with the 1/2 marathon Smile I have tons of buddies in No Ca to visit which inspires me to run it over Pac Shoreline. I also like traveling far to races, it gives it a different feel Smile
        running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
          I've done 4 5+ milers this week, all a bit slower than normal. And I feel good. No major knee pain, no horrible discomfort. I did try to do intervals on Wednesday and my body just wasn't up to it. I think that's a carry over from my high(er) mileage last week. Tomorrow I am doing a long run of 10-12 miles. I think I might try to run a few of the middle miles at marathon race pace. I've pretty much decided to run CIM, but I want to see how a few more of my long runs progress before committing to a December marathon (rather than early next year). I may need the extra few weeks of training. I'll be back to tomorrow to update about my long run.
          "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
            That was perfect running weather! When I left at 6am it was clear, but within 30 minutes (just when I was starting to think about taking off my long sleeve shirt) the fog rolled in. It was wonderful. And it cleared up right before I got home. I know I didn't stay as low with my HR as I did last week, but much of it was right aorund 150. I live in a pretty hilly area, so it went up and down a lot based on that, and I got lost in the music for a while and found my HR at 165. OOPS! But I wanted to push it in the middle of my run, and I did that. 1 hr 51 min 4 min (12.66 miles at 6.8 mph) 8:47/mile I feel good, though I still wonder if I can run for 26.2 miles at 8:24/mile. I can't imagine being able to sustain that. I'd like to get to where I can run 8:15/mile so I have some breathing room. That will have to be something I work on.
            muse_runner

keep running.

Callie, Try to see if you can get your half-marathon time down to 1:45 or even 1:44 before the marathon. Do a race say, 3 months before your marathon. If your race time is around 1:47 then I'd say a 3:45 marathon is where you are at. If you can get it sub 1:45 you are golden. I think you can IF you train right and aren't stubborn Wink like i can be, you WILL make it. for sure you will! I am working on this and it will be a combination of extremely smart running, training hard, and NOT training hard. PLUS eating a lot more than I probably want to. Smile those are just my thoughts ... over-training is a reality... patience is a virtue. NOT pushing too hard is important. it's just about what you can deal with/tolerate/ and what your genes give you! Don't get caught up in the mileage camps... it's about what your body tells you Smile don't think too hard about running a 8:25 pace for 26.2 miles. you have to build up to this. you technically shouldn't even start any kind of marathon training program yet. just put your miles in, race for fun if you want to... etc etc. yes at one point a 8:25 pace will seem comfortable but not THAT comfortable. you'll get there with patience... and training...
              running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                That was perfect running weather! When I left at 6am it was clear, but within 30 minutes (just when I was starting to think about taking off my long sleeve shirt) the fog rolled in. It was wonderful. And it cleared up right before I got home. I know I didn't stay as low with my HR as I did last week, but much of it was right aorund 150. I live in a pretty hilly area, so it went up and down a lot based on that, and I got lost in the music for a while and found my HR at 165. OOPS! But I wanted to push it in the middle of my run, and I did that. 1 hr 51 min 4 min (12.66 miles at 6.8 mph) 8:47/mile I feel good, though I still wonder if I can run for 26.2 miles at 8:24/mile. I can't imagine being able to sustain that. I'd like to get to where I can run 8:15/mile so I have some breathing room. That will have to be something I work on.
                I too live in a really hilly neighborhood, and one thing I LOVE to do is push it up the hills. The other day dh and I ran together and unlike my dh who was trying to keep a somewhat even hr I pushed it. Course that brought my hr up to 165 or so. Hard to keep a low ave hr when you do that. I at least believe that it's important to push up the hills even if it raises your hr a bit. Depending on the grade of the hill to keep hr low enough ya might have to crawl kwim? Good thing you have plenty of time to work on it. I have no doubt you'll accomplish your goal come marathon time! GL!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

muse_runner

keep running.

Miss Callie, How did you get your RA log to do walking? I want to add that in to mine. How are you doing lady?
                    Under the "new run entry" is a pull down menu with weights, biking, and walking. I'm not as good at logging it as I am with the running, but it's nice to have activities accounted for even on my 'days off'. Hope that helps!
                      My easy runs are getting easier, and longer. Which is awesome for my weekly mileage, and a good psychological booster. I wonder if there ever comes a time when you have enough marathons under your belt that you're no longer worried about finishing? Tomorrow I have a 14 miler on the books. Of course, this will be the third week in a row that I am trying for 14 miles. The last 2 long run have ended up short because I've forgotten part of the route or changed it mid-run. So here's hoping that tomorrow I actually get to the 14 mile mark!
                      muse_runner

keep running.

Hey Hun, When I ran my half-marathon the other week I was like uhmmmmm I wonder if I still have the endurance?? Confused When mile 10 came and I still had so much gas in the tank I was like AWWW YEAH! I seriously feel so much different than last year when I first began my endurance training. I'm excited for you that your running feels easier. I know you're gonna go so far!! BTW: planning for a 3:38 or 3:39 marathon at CIM. So please PLEASE join me! lovies! Jen
                          Oh, Jen, you are so ON! Assuming, of course, that training goes well and you don't lose me at mile 20. Wink I broke the 14 mile barrier!!!!! Hell, I didn’t just break it, I blew it out of the friggin’ water! For my last 3 long runs, I have set out with the goal of getting 14 miles in. Somehow, for various reasons, this hasn’t happened. I forgot to turn left. I had to change my route to go pee. I decided mid run to change things up for a change of scenery. You’d think that the variations would (at some point) pay off by being longer than I intended. NOPE! Every time I change my route once out there, it ends up shaving miles. This happens routinely, and is as much mental as physical. Last year my tough distances were 16, 18, and 20. For some reason, it took several attempts before I was able to accomplish those distances. I remember setting out for a 20 miler on a really tough course, and coming in at 19.65 or something. Dead When I say that it’s mental as well, it’s because there are some distances that seem so. freakin. long. that there is always doubt that I can finish them. And I seem to place far too much importance on certain distances. “If I can’t even do 14 miles, how can I do 26.2?” It becomes a mental game of confidence and fear, and fear often wins. But Saturday? Confidence won. I felt good, and strong, and knew that I needed the boost of those 14 miles if I was going to keep myself motivated. I was meticulous in my planning and mapping of the run, and memorized it totally before leaving the house. And, what’d'ya know, but I had to pee before an hour was up. Which meant changing my route. Of course I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to tack on the distance I had lost. It’s hard to add it to the end of the run, and take a left away from home when you’ve already run 13 miles and you know that a right means 5 more minutes until you can stretch and rest and eat. Honestly? THAT is willpower. Big grin But I did it on Saturday. When I could have turned left at the corner and headed for home, I turned left earlier and circled back on the path away from the house. It added nearly two miles to my run, and TADA! Now I have no fear of that 14 mile barrier. Although, 18 is already looming in my vision and is enough to scare the crap out of me. Final stats for Saturday’s run: 2 hr 21 min 32 sec (15.64 miles at 6.6 mph) 9:03/mile Next week I am going to try 17 miles, before taking it back down to 10 for a recovery week the last week of June. But, after this last long run, I can say that the marathon finish line doesn’t seem so impossible. Qualifying for Boston? Still seems out of my reach. But at least I am beginning to feel like the first finish wasn’t a fluke.
                            Or, rather, go for 15 again. Wink On Saturday morning I decided not to go for 17, but to stick with 15 being my highest mileage for another few months. I'm way ahead of the game as far as training goes, and I don't want to hurt myself. So I'll stick with ~15 mile long runs for the next month and a half or so, and then start increasing. This week has been a focus on some speed and some easy runs. A good mix, I'd say, of training my body to run fast and then turn around and run slow. The slow part is obviously harder for me, but I'm learning. In fact, this is my 'low' week, with a long run of 10 miles that I am hoping to run at a 9:40mile. It's actually hard for me to sustain that pace, especially when I start itching to get home. But it's for my own good! I'm having some achilles pain. I think it's the 40 mile curse. I always get an injury of some sort at 40 miles, and I have yet to figure out how to avoid it, or how to make it go away without dropping my miles. So I am doing what I can to alleviate the pain and be careful. It's the same one I had problems with last year, so I know I must just be sensitive there to overtraining. Here's hoping I can get over it soon, and that it doesn't get worse.