RA Coaching Forum

My training so far (Read 423 times)

So.. it seems like my training has been going good! Training every day unless I feel tired, sometimes twice a day. Overall schedule arrangement run: 2-3 times/week (maybe mixed with walks or biking) bike: 1-2 times/week (sometimes mixed with runs), either 1-2 hours with rolling hills or 30-60 minutes of hard uphill swim: 1 time/week, I sometimes skip a week xc-skiing: instead of bike when there is snow weight training: three types: a) upper body twice per week, high reps b) 3-5 day splits low-mid reps. Some weeks I assign more priority to the run, others to the swim, others to the weights, by arranging the other workouts around my main workout for the week. For example if it is an intense weight week then I can do legs after afternoon run, which leaves me sore for 1-2 days. Shoulders after afternoon swim, with at least one day for recovery from upper body training before a swim, unless it's a high-rep week. I've been doing this for five weeks now and I'm getting used to it. It requires quite a bit of flexibility, but it seems to work for the moment.
      Some aches and pains recently. Was a bit tired last tuesday from my Sunday run. Thursday I was feeling fine, bounced about in the mountains. Then I went for a 4 hour hike the next day. That left me sore. Saturday was a rest day. I did an easy flat 30 minute run on Sunday, instead of my scheduled 40 minutes, since my calves and some tendons were complaining. On Monday I did a very good long mountain bike session: climbed 600m in less than an hour. Calves were still achy. Come Tuesday morning, I was a bit better, so I went out for a relax 30 minutes on the flat, with 5 minutes of barefoot running thrown in for good measure. Lower legs are definitely feeling tired, might skip Thursday's session and replace it with biking or weights.
      mikeymike

Wow, it's great that you have so many options for terrain. I'm not surprised you were a bit tired after 4 hours hiking in the mountains and then a 600m mountain bike climb 2 days later. Do you have a particular triathlon in your sights?

Runners run

Wow, it's great that you have so many options for terrain. I'm not surprised you were a bit tired after 4 hours hiking in the mountains and then a 600m mountain bike climb 2 days later. Do you have a particular triathlon in your sights?
          Yes, this place is great for sports! The town is next to a river in a mountainous area. This means there are plenty of flat, scenic bike routes as well as some relatively long climbs (1200m climbs are the most you can do, it seems). I am not sure about a specific triathlon, but there are a couple of 5-10K mountain runs I would like to try. Here's a list of events: http://www.viertl-edv.com/berg/termine.htm One thing that worries me: I want to go to London for 2-3 weeks on business. It's a good opportunity, but it seems a bit long time to be without any training..
          Scout7

Train in London. I'm sure you could easily get in some runs.
              Train in London. I'm sure you could easily get in some runs.
              Yes, but it's flat, paved full of people and smog.
                Yes, but it's flat, paved full of people and smog.
                Steeplechase Wink

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Report week ending Sunday April 15, 2007 This week I was concentrating on strength, bike, giving my shins a bit of a rest. 9 April - A bit sore. Today went up to Proleber Berg via bike:10km600m@1:09:21, (first 4km flat) with brief pauses. [HR: Av 141, Max 165, 51:02@90-150, 18:19@150-170]. Not really tired at the end, but ran out of road! 10 April - A bit tired, slightly sore. Ran for 32 minutes. Achilles started feeling stressed quite fast. There was a short pain in my left lateral ankle. Maybe shoe? Overall 32 min, 5k, 132bpm. 11 April - 19:30 Swimming: Freestyle 6x25m, then 1000m@20min, bonked at 500m. Must do more technique drills. - 20:30 Weights: Chest and Shoulders, 6-8RM 12 April - 08:30 Run: Easy hill: ~20min@155bpm (max 180 - Achilles tendon was a bit stressed on the uphill, but not painful) 6x50-75m strides (4 barefoot), 5min cooldown, 10min stretching, some shin exercises. Later I realised that the medial side left ankle is slightly painful upon movement. - 19:30 Weights: Legs, 1h30min, 10-15RM, 10 exercise, hard effort, mostly in leg presses, quad extensions and moderately hard in calf raises. Fatigue set in, so I did only moderate effort in lunges and hip exercises. I'll probably be sore until Tuesday, but that's OK. 13 April - 19:00 Weights: Biceps, Triceps 6-12RM, 15 sets, hard. Did my previous 6RM tricep weight for 10 reps. Forearm and wrist 2 sets @ 25RM. Next week easy. - 20:30 Stationary bike: 5min easy, Stairmaster: 220m@10min - Legs feeling sore pretty much everywhere, including the sole (apparently the distal part of the soleus muscle, either from the strides or from the calf raises). Slept a bit late, too much alcohol. 14 April - Considerable soreness in gluteal and quadricep muscles, less so in gastroc. and soleus. - Day off. Shiatzu session, revealing extreme soreness. I really overdid at the gym this time. (On the other hand, I did predict soreness until Tuesday..) Next week, 10% lower weights. 15 April - Sill a bit sore (mostly deep quads and gluts, but calves are fine), too sore to run. Did a planned easy bike tour with some friends: 45km@2h20m with a 15min break. I would normally be able to run this afternoon, but I think the soreness is a little bit too mc lingering probably could run, but I feel it'd be better if I stay fresh for Tuesday's session. Plan for following weeks The week before was a very easy weight week, nevertheless I didn't seem to lose any strength. This week was almost maxing out. Next week I'll do the same 4-day split, but at 10-15RM, to establish my baseline for the next two weeks, which will be at 6-8RM. I'll do slightly easier leg training. I'll do a 6 hour hike either next week or the following, either on saturday or on sunday (thus potentially replacing the long run). Othwise, schedule for running is: easy with a long tempo interval, easy with a few strides, and long
                    Report week ending Sunday April 22, 2007 Another OK week, without any lingering problems, a sudden stress on the ligaments around the hip joint notwithstanding. 16 April - 08:00 Woke up refreshed, no noticeable soreness. - 08:30 Went for an run, with the conditions that I'd a) not make too much effort b) run for 45min tops. I went no my starndard hill start, but I think that in the morning my tendons are still a bit stiff, since both my Achilles were complaining in the beginning on the first uphill. They seemed to loosen up later. I ended up doing 6km in 44min, with a total climb of perhaps 300m. Most of the effort was easy (<150bpm), with 10 minutes harder (max 174 at a particularly nasty incline - still not doing it all out as i did last year, where i'd frequently reach 200+ near the end of some inclines) - 20:00 weights benchmarking, back @ 12rm, taking it easy: just shy of failure on the last sets of each exercise. rounded it off with 10min of moderate step machine and a relaxing jog back home. 17 april - 07:30 - woke up very refreshed. there were, however some apparent pains in my shins. a spot on my backside was hurting too and had developed a bruise. the latter was probably due to a fall with the bike on sunday. not sure about the shins, though. tomorrow off running, even if i am feeling good - i probably try again on thursday. - 19:00 - 30 minutes swim, some drills and 1000m@20min - slow with a pickup at the end. technique still not very consistent, but at least i did not run out of steam like last time. i will try a shorter session next week, focusing on technique. - 20:30 - 30 minutes gym, benchmarking chest+shoulders @ 12 rm. finished off with an 8 minute intense bike interval. - right shin seems to hurt when i tap my foot while sitting down. it does not hurt when i am pressing it.. left shin hurts only when i am pressing it, somewhere near the bone, but not noticeably so. probably nothing serious if i take it easy. 18 april - decided to try and run very slowly to the gym, and if everything is ok, continue to do the 10 + 10 steady + 10 session. as it turned out, no painful twinges, but not entirely comfortable. did it at very easy pace, 19 april - 17:30 first attempt bike to the mugel - that's a climb of 1200m. first, 7km to reach the start of the road. took me 20mim@125bpm. then i climbed for 40min, going approximately half way up, heart rate around 150bpm (only 25min above 150, max 166). if i add 1km at each attempt, i might be able to do the whole climb soon. slowly came back with an easy effort. total time on bike 1h35m. i think 150 is around the rate where i start getting winded, especially for the bike where the only muscles really working are the quads. probably for running the equivalent rate is 160 or so, since more muscles are involved. also, i don't remember ever having a rate higher than 180 while biking, while i hit 200 plenty of times while running hard up hills [that was last year] but i guess this sort of difference is normal, since more muscle mass is involved in running. - 19:00 straight to the gym, did one set of very light squats and lunges and hip abductors, nothing serious. however, i thought i needed to work a bit my lower legs, so i did four sets of calf and shin raises for good measure, then some pullups just for the heck of it. this ended a week of very easy (medium intensity, low volume) gym sessions. hope to get another 20min swim in on saturday or friday, focusing on technique drills at various speeds. 20 april - 9:00 right knee feels tired from bike. - 17:00 felt ok for a short run, did 20 min very easy, with 5 barefoot, then 6 strides, around 100m@20s, slowly accelerating. no problems during the run, later when walking around town my knee hurt for a bit. 21 april - some ligaments around hips and knees seem a bit tired from yesterday's strides. muscles feel fresh, however. i hope that does not indicate a recurrence of itbs. i probably should go a bit slower on my strides for the time being. - 17:00 45min of upper body weight circuits, 25 reps, apart from pullups, pushups and dips. 22 april - 09:30 hike to the mugel. ascent: 10km, 1100m @ 3:00. descent: 8km, 110m @ 2:10. knees, and especially feet, tired during descent. left calf strained during a hard part of the ascent [we missed a turn and instead of doubling back we climbed a moderately hard slope in order to reach the trail. plan for next week: no hike scheduled for next week, so i'll put some running time in, but try not to push the effort too much. with="" 10="" minutes="" harder="" (max="" 174="" at="" a="" particularly="" nasty="" incline="" -="" still="" not="" doing="" it="" all="" out="" as="" i="" did="" last="" year,="" where="" i'd="" frequently="" reach="" 200+="" near="" the="" end="" of="" some="" inclines)="" -="" 20:00="" weights="" benchmarking,="" back="" @="" 12rm,="" taking="" it="" easy:="" just="" shy="" of="" failure="" on="" the="" last="" sets="" of="" each="" exercise.="" rounded="" it="" off="" with="" 10min="" of="" moderate="" step="" machine="" and="" a="" relaxing="" jog="" back="" home.="" 17="" april="" -="" 07:30="" -="" woke="" up="" very="" refreshed.="" there="" were,="" however="" some="" apparent="" pains="" in="" my="" shins.="" a="" spot="" on="" my="" backside="" was="" hurting="" too="" and="" had="" developed="" a="" bruise.="" the="" latter="" was="" probably="" due="" to="" a="" fall="" with="" the="" bike="" on="" sunday.="" not="" sure="" about="" the="" shins,="" though.="" tomorrow="" off="" running,="" even="" if="" i="" am="" feeling="" good="" -="" i="" probably="" try="" again="" on="" thursday.="" -="" 19:00="" -="" 30="" minutes="" swim,="" some="" drills="" and="" 1000m@20min="" -="" slow="" with="" a="" pickup="" at="" the="" end.="" technique="" still="" not="" very="" consistent,="" but="" at="" least="" i="" did="" not="" run="" out="" of="" steam="" like="" last="" time.="" i="" will="" try="" a="" shorter="" session="" next="" week,="" focusing="" on="" technique.="" -="" 20:30="" -="" 30="" minutes="" gym,="" benchmarking="" chest+shoulders="" @="" 12="" rm.="" finished="" off="" with="" an="" 8="" minute="" intense="" bike="" interval.="" -="" right="" shin="" seems="" to="" hurt="" when="" i="" tap="" my="" foot="" while="" sitting="" down.="" it="" does="" not="" hurt="" when="" i="" am="" pressing="" it..="" left="" shin="" hurts="" only="" when="" i="" am="" pressing="" it,="" somewhere="" near="" the="" bone,="" but="" not="" noticeably="" so.="" probably="" nothing="" serious="" if="" i="" take="" it="" easy.="" 18="" april="" -="" decided="" to="" try="" and="" run="" very="" slowly="" to="" the="" gym,="" and="" if="" everything="" is="" ok,="" continue="" to="" do="" the="" 10="" +="" 10="" steady="" +="" 10="" session.="" as="" it="" turned="" out,="" no="" painful="" twinges,="" but="" not="" entirely="" comfortable.="" did="" it="" at="" very="" easy="" pace,="" 19="" april="" -="" 17:30="" first="" attempt="" bike="" to="" the="" mugel="" -="" that's="" a="" climb="" of="" 1200m.="" first,="" 7km="" to="" reach="" the="" start="" of="" the="" road.="" took="" me="" 20mim@125bpm.="" then="" i="" climbed="" for="" 40min,="" going="" approximately="" half="" way="" up,="" heart="" rate="" around="" 150bpm="" (only="" 25min="" above="" 150,="" max="" 166).="" if="" i="" add="" 1km="" at="" each="" attempt,="" i="" might="" be="" able="" to="" do="" the="" whole="" climb="" soon.="" slowly="" came="" back="" with="" an="" easy="" effort.="" total="" time="" on="" bike="" 1h35m.="" i="" think="" 150="" is="" around="" the="" rate="" where="" i="" start="" getting="" winded,="" especially="" for="" the="" bike="" where="" the="" only="" muscles="" really="" working="" are="" the="" quads.="" probably="" for="" running="" the="" equivalent="" rate="" is="" 160="" or="" so,="" since="" more="" muscles="" are="" involved.="" also,="" i="" don't="" remember="" ever="" having="" a="" rate="" higher="" than="" 180="" while="" biking,="" while="" i="" hit="" 200="" plenty="" of="" times="" while="" running="" hard="" up="" hills="" [that="" was="" last="" year]="" but="" i="" guess="" this="" sort="" of="" difference="" is="" normal,="" since="" more="" muscle="" mass="" is="" involved="" in="" running.="" -="" 19:00="" straight="" to="" the="" gym,="" did="" one="" set="" of="" very="" light="" squats="" and="" lunges="" and="" hip="" abductors,="" nothing="" serious.="" however,="" i="" thought="" i="" needed="" to="" work="" a="" bit="" my="" lower="" legs,="" so="" i="" did="" four="" sets="" of="" calf="" and="" shin="" raises="" for="" good="" measure,="" then="" some="" pullups="" just="" for="" the="" heck="" of="" it.="" this="" ended="" a="" week="" of="" very="" easy="" (medium="" intensity,="" low="" volume)="" gym="" sessions.="" hope="" to="" get="" another="" 20min="" swim="" in="" on="" saturday="" or="" friday,="" focusing="" on="" technique="" drills="" at="" various="" speeds.="" 20="" april="" -="" 9:00="" right="" knee="" feels="" tired="" from="" bike.="" -="" 17:00="" felt="" ok="" for="" a="" short="" run,="" did="" 20="" min="" very="" easy,="" with="" 5="" barefoot,="" then="" 6="" strides,="" around="" 100m@20s,="" slowly="" accelerating.="" no="" problems="" during="" the="" run,="" later="" when="" walking="" around="" town="" my="" knee="" hurt="" for="" a="" bit.="" 21="" april="" -="" some="" ligaments="" around="" hips="" and="" knees="" seem="" a="" bit="" tired="" from="" yesterday's="" strides.="" muscles="" feel="" fresh,="" however.="" i="" hope="" that="" does="" not="" indicate="" a="" recurrence="" of="" itbs.="" i="" probably="" should="" go="" a="" bit="" slower="" on="" my="" strides="" for="" the="" time="" being.="" -="" 17:00="" 45min="" of="" upper="" body="" weight="" circuits,="" 25="" reps,="" apart="" from="" pullups,="" pushups="" and="" dips.="" 22="" april="" -="" 09:30="" hike="" to="" the="" mugel.="" ascent:="" 10km,="" 1100m="" @="" 3:00.="" descent:="" 8km,="" 110m="" @="" 2:10.="" knees,="" and="" especially="" feet,="" tired="" during="" descent.="" left="" calf="" strained="" during="" a="" hard="" part="" of="" the="" ascent="" [we="" missed="" a="" turn="" and="" instead="" of="" doubling="" back="" we="" climbed="" a="" moderately="" hard="" slope="" in="" order="" to="" reach="" the="" trail.="" plan="" for="" next="" week:="" no="" hike="" scheduled="" for="" next="" week,="" so="" i'll="" put="" some="" running="" time="" in,="" but="" try="" not="" to="" push="" the="" effort="" too="" much.=""></150bpm), with 10 minutes harder (max 174 at a particularly nasty incline - still not doing it all out as i did last year, where i'd frequently reach 200+ near the end of some inclines) - 20:00 weights benchmarking, back @ 12rm, taking it easy: just shy of failure on the last sets of each exercise. rounded it off with 10min of moderate step machine and a relaxing jog back home. 17 april - 07:30 - woke up very refreshed. there were, however some apparent pains in my shins. a spot on my backside was hurting too and had developed a bruise. the latter was probably due to a fall with the bike on sunday. not sure about the shins, though. tomorrow off running, even if i am feeling good - i probably try again on thursday. - 19:00 - 30 minutes swim, some drills and 1000m@20min - slow with a pickup at the end. technique still not very consistent, but at least i did not run out of steam like last time. i will try a shorter session next week, focusing on technique. - 20:30 - 30 minutes gym, benchmarking chest+shoulders @ 12 rm. finished off with an 8 minute intense bike interval. - right shin seems to hurt when i tap my foot while sitting down. it does not hurt when i am pressing it.. left shin hurts only when i am pressing it, somewhere near the bone, but not noticeably so. probably nothing serious if i take it easy. 18 april - decided to try and run very slowly to the gym, and if everything is ok, continue to do the 10 + 10 steady + 10 session. as it turned out, no painful twinges, but not entirely comfortable. did it at very easy pace, 19 april - 17:30 first attempt bike to the mugel - that's a climb of 1200m. first, 7km to reach the start of the road. took me 20mim@125bpm. then i climbed for 40min, going approximately half way up, heart rate around 150bpm (only 25min above 150, max 166). if i add 1km at each attempt, i might be able to do the whole climb soon. slowly came back with an easy effort. total time on bike 1h35m. i think 150 is around the rate where i start getting winded, especially for the bike where the only muscles really working are the quads. probably for running the equivalent rate is 160 or so, since more muscles are involved. also, i don't remember ever having a rate higher than 180 while biking, while i hit 200 plenty of times while running hard up hills [that was last year] but i guess this sort of difference is normal, since more muscle mass is involved in running. - 19:00 straight to the gym, did one set of very light squats and lunges and hip abductors, nothing serious. however, i thought i needed to work a bit my lower legs, so i did four sets of calf and shin raises for good measure, then some pullups just for the heck of it. this ended a week of very easy (medium intensity, low volume) gym sessions. hope to get another 20min swim in on saturday or friday, focusing on technique drills at various speeds. 20 april - 9:00 right knee feels tired from bike. - 17:00 felt ok for a short run, did 20 min very easy, with 5 barefoot, then 6 strides, around 100m@20s, slowly accelerating. no problems during the run, later when walking around town my knee hurt for a bit. 21 april - some ligaments around hips and knees seem a bit tired from yesterday's strides. muscles feel fresh, however. i hope that does not indicate a recurrence of itbs. i probably should go a bit slower on my strides for the time being. - 17:00 45min of upper body weight circuits, 25 reps, apart from pullups, pushups and dips. 22 april - 09:30 hike to the mugel. ascent: 10km, 1100m @ 3:00. descent: 8km, 110m @ 2:10. knees, and especially feet, tired during descent. left calf strained during a hard part of the ascent [we missed a turn and instead of doubling back we climbed a moderately hard slope in order to reach the trail. plan for next week: no hike scheduled for next week, so i'll put some running time in, but try not to push the effort too much. >
                      Report week ending Sunday April 29, 2007 Good week, but shins a bit tired, particularly in the long run. 23 April - 08:30 Quads a bit sore, calves moderately, shins more so. - 18:30 Back: 6-8 RM 24 April - 09:30 Run - Warmup on hill/flat mix - 11:42@135. Then 3.2km on flat, first 1.6 split in 8:18@160, second split in 8:04@161. Finished with 7:00 jog @ 155 uphill back to the house. I decided to concentrate on technique. My shins were a bit tired from the hike so I could not use a midfoot strike for long. Thus, I settled in a very good forefoot technique for this pace (for me). I noticed that it works somewhat better on dirt tracks than on tarmac. I had to switch back to midfoot and a very brief walk, but that was OK. Anyway, both techniques seem to be getting a bit more efficient at the moment and the whole movement feels natural and fluid. 25 April - 18:00 Bike - 30min uphill, 20 downhill, approximately 300m climb, but my tyres were not good enough for this terrain. Heart rate around 150 while climbing, overall a moderate workout compared to last week's. Maybe I'll do a harder one next week. - 19:00 Gym - 6-8RM Biceps+Triceps, at same max weight as last month, but slightly higher reps. 26 April - 18:00 Easy Run + Sprints Had a novice running partner today. 20 minutes Easy on mixed surfaces + 5 minutes barefoot on track. 4x100m sprints, 2 of which barefoot at 16-18s. Barefoot feels the same as shod now, apart from the slight burn on the skin. Also, 1x50m sprint and 1 slowly accelerating 200m one, with a gradual slow-down, followed by two easy laps. Calves started getting tired at the end. Overall did the sprints without running out of steam, but always stopping when I was feeling that my form was getting bad. Max HR reached was 185, at the 200m effort. - 19:00 Gym - 10-15RM Legs. Still feeling fresh from the run, so I managed to get build up to my normal weight for squats (70Kg + bar) for 10 reps. However I already get my quads tired on sunday when walking downhill, so perhaps that's overdoing it a bit. Slightly lower weights than what I'd normally do for the other thigh exercises. More emphasis on hips and calves, I think there's need for some work there. Sadly, it's not easy to exercises the anterior shins. - Overall, a great day, but I think I've been eating a bit too much this week. I'll hopefully be able to eat somewhat less until monday, since I have no more weight training scheduled till then. 27 April - Rest day. - Legs only midly sore. 28 April - Easy Hike, 2:26 total, 800m@1:20. 29 April - Hike not as easy as it felt, a bit sore, but only in my gluts and adductors so that was not a major problem. - Long trail run, mixed hills ending at a flat section. I was not feeling fresh. Scheduled for 55min, went OK until 40min (around the 6k mark), then my shins started feeling really tired, so I did 10 min more with walk breaks. On the one hand, I seemed to be faster than the last time I did this route. On the other hand, I might not be able to run for as long as planned. But maybe I was just too tired. - Nap.
                        Report Week Ending 6 May 2007 30 April - Feeling fresh. Easy jog to the gym, where I did Back at 6-8RM and core at higher reps. 1 May - A short walk to warm up, then 10min easy (~2km, 150bpm), then 6x1/1, covering about 300/150m on interval/recoveries. Average HR climbed slowly from 150 to 190, not falling very much in the recoveries. Maxed at 195. All intervals felt good apart from the last one. Slowly climbed back home and jogged around at a snail's pace then did some stretching. (Most of time spent in 150-170, apart from the first 5 minutes of easy, all intervals at 170+) 2 May - Weight training, chest + shoulders 6-8RM. Chest OK, did some more weight, but shoulders a bit weak. I might change the routine around next week so that I do shoulders on a different day than chest. 5-min jog back home. 3 May - Ran a short out-and-back, 3.6km total, to warm up (10:15@143, 9:00@155), then 2 very easy laps barefoot in about 5 mins. Left hip felt a little bit tired. Finished with 5 barefoot moderate effort strides of around 50m each, with the rest of the lap for recovery, plus a final longer effort with shoes. Overall I didn't push it much today, as my left hip was slightly painful on hard landings. Some stretching and then.. - Gym, legs, starting with some weightless lunges. Then standard quad extension, deadlift, squat, calf raises routine@10-15RM. Some extra exercises to anterior shins. Finished with a 15-20RM workout of the major hip joint muscles. My abductors felt fine, so the hip pain is probably not an ITB issue. There was a slightly weakness in my hip flexors though. 4 May - Today the legs are not particularly sore. - Gym, Biceps + Triceps 6-8RM, at same level as last week. 5 May - Arms not very sore, legs not at all. - Bike, up to Proleberberg, quite easily in 1:05. Actual climb took 55min for 600m, without really feeling tired. I think now I am ready for the 1000m. 6 May - No soreness, slept well - Today 30min were scheduled, so I decided to do a long uphill effort for 20-25 minutes and then run back with moderate effort, not exceeding 35min total. The first 200m of climb were OK - did them in 16minutes with heart rate around 160. Then there were 100m more, which I climbed in 7-8 minutes, but which were a bit too steep so I took 2-3 minutes of walk breaks there. I did the descent moderately fast, but relaxed, taking a detour to a flattish forest trail where I did some relaxed faster running for a few more minutes, for a total of 37. Walked the rest of the descent to loosen up. Next week I am increasing the weekly number of sessions to 4. I'll take it a bit easier when doing speedwork - my hips were sore two days after my Tuesday 6x1min (approx 300m) session, limiting the effort on the Thursday strides session.
                          Report Week Ending 20 May 2007 14 May - OK, did the postponed long run last evening. It paid off being a bit fresh. It was a 450-500m ascent, 3.5km, done in 32mins, with a 2-min walk break at the steepest part. I ran down relatively fast in 25mins. Splits, with average HRs: 50m 150m 250 400m 450m Up: 3:45@145 > 7:25@168 > 6:08@172 > 9:55@175 > 4:36@175 --> Down: 3:23@138 < 6:00@148="" />< 3:53@149="" />< 5:07@146="" />< 5:12@151="" /><--- i was still feeling a bit fresh at the end, so the workout was fine. 15 may - weights: 15-25 rm upper body, 2-4 sets depending on whether doing isolation/combination exercises. 16 may - run: 10 min warmup, then 4400m@20:44, speed around 12-14kph most of the time on the 400m splits (approx. measured). heart rate slowly climbed from 150 to 179. a bit faster towards the end, felt relaxed. 10 min cooldown at easy pace, barefoot. shins ok, calves a bit tight afterwards. worried about the hip initially, but turned out just fine. 17 may - off. driving. 18 may feeling a bit low on energy today. - run: rolling hills, 4.5k@30min - weights: whole body, 2 sets @ 25-15rm, took 1:30 19 may feeling fresh - run: almost flat trail, 3.6k@20min, plus 1600m@10min barefoot. followed by 8 50-100m strides, the first 4 of which barefoot. soles of feet burned... perhaps i did too much barefoot warmup. it was also a bit warmer today, at 22c. - nap. - weights: 25-12rm upper body 20 may - hike: 4hr, 700m climb, some technical parts. small blister on one foot, probably exacerbated from yesterday. tomorrow off to let it heal. i="" was="" still="" feeling="" a="" bit="" fresh="" at="" the="" end,="" so="" the="" workout="" was="" fine.="" 15="" may="" -="" weights:="" 15-25="" rm="" upper="" body,="" 2-4="" sets="" depending="" on="" whether="" doing="" isolation/combination="" exercises.="" 16="" may="" -="" run:="" 10="" min="" warmup,="" then="" 4400m@20:44,="" speed="" around="" 12-14kph="" most="" of="" the="" time="" on="" the="" 400m="" splits="" (approx.="" measured).="" heart="" rate="" slowly="" climbed="" from="" 150="" to="" 179.="" a="" bit="" faster="" towards="" the="" end,="" felt="" relaxed.="" 10="" min="" cooldown="" at="" easy="" pace,="" barefoot.="" shins="" ok,="" calves="" a="" bit="" tight="" afterwards.="" worried="" about="" the="" hip="" initially,="" but="" turned="" out="" just="" fine.="" 17="" may="" -="" off.="" driving.="" 18="" may="" feeling="" a="" bit="" low="" on="" energy="" today.="" -="" run:="" rolling="" hills,="" 4.5k@30min="" -="" weights:="" whole="" body,="" 2="" sets="" @="" 25-15rm,="" took="" 1:30="" 19="" may="" feeling="" fresh="" -="" run:="" almost="" flat="" trail,="" 3.6k@20min,="" plus="" 1600m@10min="" barefoot.="" followed="" by="" 8="" 50-100m="" strides,="" the="" first="" 4="" of="" which="" barefoot.="" soles="" of="" feet="" burned...="" perhaps="" i="" did="" too="" much="" barefoot="" warmup.="" it="" was="" also="" a="" bit="" warmer="" today,="" at="" 22c.="" -="" nap.="" -="" weights:="" 25-12rm="" upper="" body="" 20="" may="" -="" hike:="" 4hr,="" 700m="" climb,="" some="" technical="" parts.="" small="" blister="" on="" one="" foot,="" probably="" exacerbated="" from="" yesterday.="" tomorrow="" off="" to="" let="" it="" heal.=""></--- i was still feeling a bit fresh at the end, so the workout was fine. 15 may - weights: 15-25 rm upper body, 2-4 sets depending on whether doing isolation/combination exercises. 16 may - run: 10 min warmup, then 4400m@20:44, speed around 12-14kph most of the time on the 400m splits (approx. measured). heart rate slowly climbed from 150 to 179. a bit faster towards the end, felt relaxed. 10 min cooldown at easy pace, barefoot. shins ok, calves a bit tight afterwards. worried about the hip initially, but turned out just fine. 17 may - off. driving. 18 may feeling a bit low on energy today. - run: rolling hills, 4.5k@30min - weights: whole body, 2 sets @ 25-15rm, took 1:30 19 may feeling fresh - run: almost flat trail, 3.6k@20min, plus 1600m@10min barefoot. followed by 8 50-100m strides, the first 4 of which barefoot. soles of feet burned... perhaps i did too much barefoot warmup. it was also a bit warmer today, at 22c. - nap. - weights: 25-12rm upper body 20 may - hike: 4hr, 700m climb, some technical parts. small blister on one foot, probably exacerbated from yesterday. tomorrow off to let it heal. >