RA Coaching Forum

Chenille - Injury Recovery 8-12 weeks Goal maintain aerobic fitness and muscle tone (Read 500 times)

Starting Monday 3/19 - deep water running Mon-Wed-Fri build to 60 - 90 min sessions. I plan on using my HRM to maintain HR no lower than 140 - build to 160. Will gradually add intervals as my leg tolerates. Strength training Tues - Thurs and 1 option day on the week-end. Questions 1) Is pool running enough to maintain my leg muscles? Are there specific exercises(non wt bearing) I should be doing as well? I'm not sure how long it will be before I will be allowed to do lower body strength training on land - I'm guessing 4 weeks? 2)Suggestions for running specific upper body/core exercises? I prefer free weights as my left side seems to dominate. Ideally, I plan on losing .5 lb/ week to get to my goal weight of 112 (I'm 5'4" - currently 118) by the time I'm ready to run, but I'm not obsessed with the number - I'm more concerned with adding/maintain muscle and losing fat.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

I am not sure you can really do non-weight-bearing exercises. Most exercises will produce one or both of: a) A force parallel to the bone, such as when standing up, where your tibia is compressed along its length. b) A torque on the bone, such as when doing the quadriceps extension with a padded rolls, where your tibia is pushed in one direction at the pad's location and in the other at the knee joint. You should ask your doctor for specific exercises, but I think all the hip extensor/flexor/adductor/abductor exercise machine should be safe for you as long as the pads are not touching an affected bone. If you find a quad / leg-curl machine with a large enough pad you might be able to do it without putting too much stress on the bone. Try and do an overall upper body workout - but for specifically strengthening the core, you could do a) good mornings b) crunches with both relaxed legs and reactively c) push-ups or just keeping your trunk raised above the ground in a supine position. If that puts too much stress on your shins then let your knees touch. d) standing twists e) back hyperextensions f) bent-over twists g) leg raises, perhaps hanging Note that all of these exercises also work the hip muscles to some extent, depending no how they are performed.
      mikeymike

What about plain old swimming? You mentioned pool running so I guess you have access to a pool. I've seen some amazing results in people who added swimming to their routines.

Runners run

Scout7

I second the swimming option. As for upper body strength training, good ol' calisthenics work for me. Push-ups, sit-ups, dips, leg raises/flutterkicks, bridge......
            Christos: I'm not allowed any lower leg machines or even standing to do upper body work with free weights at this point. I was thinking more along the lines of deep water exercises. Sucks big time, but not even allowed to do prone hamstring curls No. I'm using the standing bench to do leg raises(bent leg) and twists. Mike: pool is 25 meter - not a swimmer but I try to do laps after pool running - still using the flotation device Blush - back - breast - side - crawl - back - breast. Which leg kick is best for hip flexors? I know mine are weak. I have pelvic instability on the right, and tend to start "circling" with my right leg when running fatigued. I have a .5" difference in calf size between R and L(normal for me) - but this increased to a .75" difference after last injury and was really tough to get that muscle back to "normal" size. I may have a short right leg, so will ask to be evaluated by the ortho before I restart land running. I really want to address as many muscle imbalance issues as I can before I start running - I do not intend going through this again!!! I am getting fitted for the bone stimulator this AM - so will ask about specific exercises. I am still putting together a strength trainging routine for Tue - Thurs and will post when I get done so hopefully will be able to get help fine-tuning. Thanks for the replies.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

Scout7

A good hip flexor exercise is to lay on your back, bend one knee and lift your butt off the ground while keeping the other leg straight. Raise and lower the straight leg for whatever reps, then switch legs.

Why is it sideways?

Chenille, I've spent some time running in the pool while injured, and while it doesn't do what running can do for you, I do think that you can maintain and even increase your aerobic and muscular strength by pool running. Sounds like it's the perfect medium for your rehab. Often times I had teammates who would come out of the pool and run PR's because they were rested from the pounding and the pool had made the muscles that are underutilized in running stronger. Sounds like you are right to focus on strength training. Hopefully your therapist can recommend other exercises for you. I imagine that the stress fracture was brought on at least to some degree by these muscle imbalances, and you are right to try to fix this problem before getting back to running hard. One more point--when you do go back to running on the land, try to find some trails and stay off the asphalt! Good luck!
                  Freestyle, backstroke and butterfly are all working the hip flexors and extensors but not through the full range of motion of course. Out of the water, lying leg raises are a good starting exercise.
                    Chenille, One more point--when you do go back to running on the land, try to find some trails and stay off the asphalt! Good luck!
                    Already got trail shoes picked out Wink Plus, we have a 440 meter indoor track under construction - it will be under a bubble dome. "Regular" people will have access to it at various times during the day. It should be completed in August. Jeff, do you try to match your "stride" in the water? I tend to just go for high cadence - but wondering if I would be better served by trying to lengthen my stride instead? Christos, thanks again for the swimming info. I went swimming this morning (shallow pool)- no aqua belt Shocked - I finally broke down and got a float board. I am totally wiped out after 45 minutes - maybe will rethink losing any more body fat until I'm back on land - had a hard time floating!!! Big grin

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

Why is it sideways?

Jeff, do you try to match your "stride" in the water? I tend to just go for high cadence - but wondering if I would be better served by trying to lengthen my stride instead?
                      Good question. Studies have shown that faster runners usually hit 180-190 strides per minute. We would practice hitting these numbers in the pool and also going faster and slower. The great thing about the pool is also the worst thing--there's not much change of scenery. That's why it's a good place count strides, to practice running with rhythm, and to develop your form. Here's some ways to begin thinking about how to practice: You can, speaking both in terms of training and breaking the monotony of pool work, throw in some intervals and drills. You can do the same drills that you do on land--high knees, butt kicks, "prancers," practice faster turnover and slower turnover, or make up your own. This seems like it would be particularly helpful given your imbalances. As for interval work, you can be creative here, too with fartleks, tempos, intervals, strides, etc. I very rarely could stand a long run in the pool, so breaking it up into various phases might help you mentally as well as provide some physical benefits. You can even mix drills with interval work--1 min high knees hard, then 1 min easy running, then 1 min at 200 strides per min, then...etc. Make sense?
                        Perfectly - I have done intervals and sprints - but never thought about the butt kicks and high knee stuff - thanks! Scenery is bad but then longest treadmill run was 2:45 Smile - I have an MP3 for the pool - couldn't do the work outs any other way!

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Scout7

Jeff, these the kind of drills you're talking about? http://www.runningplanet.com/training/running-drills.html

Why is it sideways?

Yep.
                              Scout - thanks for the link, have it bookmarked. I don't think I can do the hip flexor exercise yet as that would be weight bearing on 1 leg - but hopefully will be able to try it in 6 weeks. This is the bone growth stimulator I am using.

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

Pool Run Graph It would be really difficult to maintain intensity without a HRM - in the 30 sec it took to adjust my player - I dropped from 160-148(I was still kicking). I'm finding it a little hard to pace to maintain for the full 60 min. I had my 1st ever "charley horse" OMG I thought my calf was going to explode - thankfully it was my L and not my R. If that had happened without a belt - water depth 8 - 11 feet...I assume this is from too much dorsiflexion? L - R muscle discrepancy is very apparent with slower longer strides - not something I would be aware of on land. I can see this will really help me correct some muscle imbalances. I have ordered water walkers to help with maintaining plantar flexion. This MP3 is a larger version of what I use. It's simple, but cheap and works well for DWR - I clip it on to the aqua belt, not sure how the earplugs would stay in for a real swimmer.

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group