RA Coaching Forum

Bonkin's Marathon Training (Read 1078 times)

Here we go with the ONLY stuff again! Smile
    I find myself guilty of that Confused

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Enjoy your recovery week!! So when is this 50k ONLY? 3 weeks? And I thought 4 weeks was cutting it tight for my first two marathons this fall.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hehe. It's only 5 weeks away, Pam! (Just teasing, Bob!) It's actually a 6 hour event - but my goal is to do 50k in that time frame. I've found a couple ultra training plans that discuss using run/walk patterns and am considering using one of those so I can make it the whole 6 hours - but not be running the whole time - as well as not destroying my legs. Besides fun, etc - I'm really using this as an exercise in developing mental strength. I think that was my biggest problem this past weekend. While I didn't care about time, I still wanted to run the whole way. I'm very proud of myself for finishing - but still a little disappointed that I fell apart mentally and let myself walk in the last 10k. I'm still working on my recovery plan. Later tonight I will post that and a modified 12 week Pfitz plan for you guys to check out and hopefully comment on - for the Cowtown Marathon in late February. I've definitely decided not to do the full White Rock in December and just run the half very easy in early December.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Oh 5 weeks is plenty of time. Ya know Mike you did an AWESOME job running your marathon!! So you walked a bit during the last 10k. I know alot of really really experienced marathon runners who still do the same thing! Marathons are tough, physically and mentally! I'm still in need of majorly working on my mental strength!

derek

I'm still working on my recovery plan. Later tonight I will post that and a modified 12 week Pfitz plan for you guys to check out and hopefully comment on - for the Cowtown Marathon in late February.
            I'm 95% sure I'll be running the Cowtown. I'll be trying the Pftiz 18/55 plan starting on Monday. I'll know for sure if I'm doing Cowtown based on how my training goes for the first 4-5 weeks. If everything goes OK, I'll pull the trigger and actually register.
            I've definitely decided not to do the full White Rock in December and just run the half very easy in early December.
            I've been contemplating doing the 1/2 marathon at White Rock also. Unfortunately, unlike you, if I enter a race, there is no running it "easy". I'll want to run the best race I can at the time.

Derek

Thanks, Pam! Derek - awesome. I'm at the 99% stage for Cowtown. I figure I've got 5 weeks to recover from M2M, run The Half, and Ultracentric. Then 2 weeks to recover/chill. Then I'm thinking of the 12 week / 55 mpw Phitz plan. This time I will be more serious about keeping my mileage capped at 45 mpw. Those 50+ weeks hurt too much still. Regarding my training - I'm still in rest mode - my first planned run is tonight - 4-6 very easy miles. Really looking forward to it. I did HTFU last night and head out into the garage for a little upper body weights work and a little abs work. This time around I'm hoping to do 1 upper/abs + 1 lower/abs sessions per week. I'm also focusing on my weight again and hope to drop down to 175-180 by Cowtown. I'm at 196 right now - so this should be doable with some focus. I may change this goal a bit - depending on what the weight training does to my body. I don't mind being heavier so long as it's muscle instead of fat.

I've been contemplating doing the 1/2 marathon at White Rock also. Unfortunately, unlike you, if I enter a race, there is no running it "easy". I'll want to run the best race I can at the time.
                That's cool and I understand. I am very much like that at most races. For this one, I have quite a few friends at work that are running their first half marathon - plus I think there may be a couple local RA folks in the same boat - so I'm going more as a pacer/support person with the goal of having fun and learning the course. Let me know if you do sign up for it though - it would be great to do a meet up before or after the race. Jlynnbob, tschepit, modal, and I had a great time meeting up at El Scorcho back in July.

btb1490

Mike, I'm glad you toned down your racing schedule a bit. Now is a great time to start with the weight workouts, I think you'll find it very helpful, especially the core stuff. Don't totally ignore your back muscles though. How's the wobble board coming? Have it mastered yet? Black eye
                    Mike, I'm glad you toned down your racing schedule a bit. Now is a great time to start with the weight workouts, I think you'll find it very helpful, especially the core stuff. Don't totally ignore your back muscles though. How's the wobble board coming? Have it mastered yet? Black eye
                    Hey, Bob! I've not been very consistent with it, but I am getting better. It seems the only time I seem to stay on it for more than a couple minutes is when I play Guitar Hero. Sounds funny, but it works for me. Need to get back into that. I really enjoy it. Funny you mentioned the back muscles. I've been reading and planning a complicated workout program with weights, until I had a nice chat with co-worker who is somewhat of a bodybuilder - but with a real common sense attitude. When I told him my (I now realize) complicated plan and asked him what to do about my shoulders and back. He said "way to complicated", "you will have muscle imbalances that will screw up your running", etc. His advice was to simply do bodyweight exercises and specifically prescribed pushups, situps, and pullups - taking care to change grips and hand spacing from time to time. Do them at least 3x per week - up to 5x a week if I wanted to. Then come back and see him after a month or two. He did say I would be okay with squats - but leave them at bodyweight or empty bar until I go back and check in with him. Having thought about this for a couple hours - I think it is sound advice - without adding too much training stress on top of my running. What to you (and anyone else) think? He also advised me to do some elliptical work as a warmup before the bodyweight exercises (I have one sitting upstairs unused) - I hated it the one time I tried it. Not sure if I like the sound of this though. That's my lazy gene talking.

btb1490

Hey, Bob! I've not been very consistent with it, but I am getting better. It seems the only time I seem to stay on it for more than a couple minutes is when I play Guitar Hero. Sounds funny, but it works for me. Need to get back into that. I really enjoy it. Funny you mentioned the back muscles. I've been reading and planning a complicated workout program with weights, until I had a nice chat with co-worker who is somewhat of a bodybuilder - but with a real common sense attitude. When I told him my (I now realize) complicated plan and asked him what to do about my shoulders and back. He said "way to complicated", "you will have muscle imbalances that will screw up your running", etc. His advice was to simply do bodyweight exercises and specifically prescribed pushups, situps, and pullups - taking care to change grips and hand spacing from time to time. Do them at least 3x per week - up to 5x a week if I wanted to. Then come back and see him after a month or two. He did say I would be okay with squats - but leave them at bodyweight or empty bar until I go back and check in with him. Having thought about this for a couple hours - I think it is sound advice - without adding too much training stress on top of my running. What to you (and anyone else) think? He also advised me to do some elliptical work as a warmup before the bodyweight exercises (I have one sitting upstairs unused) - I hated it the one time I tried it. Not sure if I like the sound of this though. That's my lazy gene talking.
                      Mike, I really like your friends advice and actually favor doing that sort of stuff myself. Warming up on the elliptical is something I see a lot of body builders in my gym doing beforehand. I've often found that the people who are really good at what they do often are the one's who get by with just a few basic things. They don't need all the fancy equipment. I know a chef who laughs at all the stuff they try to sell you for cooking purposes. His kitchen is one of the sparsest one's you will find and I dare you to cook a better meal than he does. Not to turn you away from what your friend has suggested for you, but when I get a chance, I'll post you a link to some excellent core exercises that only use your body weight, just so you can get some other ideas. Also, I'll send you a link to one of my favorite conditioning books. It's called "Core Performance" and has tons of very sound exercises using just a few simple pieces of equipment that you can easily pick up for home. Take before and after pictures!!!!
                        Awesome, thanks Bob! I look forward to the links. I definitely hear you on the keeping things simple thing. A few of the really fast guys around here on RA preach simplicity. Run easy, run long, and sometimes run fast. Makes good sense to me. Funny that you mention a friend that is a chef. My brother in law is a chef and is very similar to your friend. I rarely see him with much more than a pot, a pan, and a sharp knife. I'm already looking at supplementing his plan with leg curls - but that's it for any weights right now. My hammys have always been weaker than they should be. If I just do a few sets of these a week - I should get back in balance in a month or two. As far as adding some extra core exercises - I'm on board with that. I secretly want to have abs like Pam's one day. Oops. I guess that secret's out of the bag Big grin

Prophet!

here is an alternative and fun core exercise Cool
                            here is an alternative and fun core exercise Cool
                            Steve, What's he doing? Poling like a raft - but on a surfboard instead?

btb1490

Mike, here is the book I was telling you about. "Core Performance Endurance" by MARK VERSTEGEN. If you look that guy up, he is a training guru to many top athletes. Good, basic no nonsense stuff using just a few simple pieces of equipment. http://www.amazon.com/Core-Performance-Endurance-Nutrition-Revolutionizes/dp/1594863520/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/104-0070218-5039977 The core exercises I was telling you about are here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

Prophet!

its a relatively new brand of surfing/paddling thats taking off. You use a paddle on a special type of surfboard. You can either use it on the surf or for long paddlings on lakes or rivers. Its a constant core + upper body workout because you're paddling and always trying to balance yourself on the board. If you live near a body of water chances are you'll see people doing it soon.