RA Coaching Forum

Training for first marathon (Read 171 times)

I've offically started training for my first marathon this fall. I just completed an easy 2:03 HM on a very hilly course (I did not push myself at all and finished up the race with lots of energy at the end). I will probably need motivational words over anything else as I'm feeling somewhat marginal on the training process. I need to work on strengthening my hip flexors and overall leg strength. I'm also thinking I need to get my glutes back to a weekly piyo class to work on my core, flexibily, and muscle imbalances. All comments and suggestions are appreciated! If someone wants to donate their spare time so I can log in more weekly miles, I will also accept.
      Hey there! I don't really have any advice except the 'normal' stuff. Don't incresae your miles too quickly, alternate your long runs so that you have one 'easy' long run a month (I cycle through 10, 12, 14, 16 in the beginning and by the end I cycle 13, 15, 17, 19). The lower mileage one weekend gives your legs a much needed break. And don't forget to eat enough. I knew nothing about running nutrition when I first started, and really had a rough time until I figured it out. Mostly, I responded to talk about plyometrics. I've been doing it once a week with my husband for 10 weeks. I have to say that I haven't noticed a difference in my running. I haven't gotten faster, looser, or stronger. In fact, my (already weak) knees really suffered for it. I am going to quit doing that one, and stick to something else. Yoga and stretching, on the other hand, have done wonders for my strength and flexibility. The warrior poses especially really strengthen the leg muscles. Good luck with the training!
      "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian