RA Coaching Forum

Rockenmama's Training for 2007 Fall Marathon'S (Read 1567 times)

Well decided I may as well start my journal now. I'm putting off my complete training for another 2 weeks. I signed up for a Trail Half marathon on the 27th (day after I turn 38) so no speed work or hills this week. Can't believe I did it considering I've never really done any trail running. Looking to having a blast though. Todays run was different. With all the HR talk I decided to pull out my trusty PolarRS200. I haven't used the darn thing since Febuary. So off I went with my Garmin 205 on my left hand and Polar on the right. I did 5 miles and my average HR was 144 with a high of 156. Not bad considering that I live in a pretty hilly area. I checked some of my other runs and WOW talk about DAMN. I logged a 5 mile run done in freezing wind on 2-9-2007 with a pace of 8:52 minute miles with an average hr of 172 and a max of 205. Now I remember those freezing runs and I wasn't maxed out like if I ran a race. I remember freezing my ass off while running and not being able to get in a comfortable groove during the run (geeze I wonder why lol) And from what I gather from my info from my other runs my average HR for my easy and long runs was anywhere from 155-158 (runs in January and Febuary) Anyhooo I think I've made progress though I really would like to see my ave hr down around 135 or so. I think if I were able to cut out a couple of the hills I would be able to already. Anyhow this ought to be an interesting trek. Have decided that I don't really need to get down to 135. I will however keep wearing my HR on recovery runs to make sure that I'm not running them to hard.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Just realized that I've run more days consecutive (20 so far) then I EVER have and am feeling GREAT "knock on wood" This marathon training is SOOOOOOOO different than what I did the first time. I definetly owe it to RA and all of the knowledge I'm gaining from others!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

madness baby

I definetly owe it to RA and all of the knowledge I'm gaining from others!
        And maybe those hot legs. . . Wink Congrats on your progress! I'll be following ya. Okay, not really, but I'll be checking your posts.
        deb
          Thanks Deb! Well decided to do my 10 miler earlier in the week due to HM on Sunday. Wore my HM again and managed to keep my HR at an average of 159. Felt pretty good and was much faster than I had planned. Got in my very first full fledged leg workout (since who knows when) last night and woke up way too early this morning. Still trying to decide if I'll be taking a day off before the HM on Sunday. Guess I'll keep listening to my legs!

Maybe I need to make sure I have a challenging race each weekend. I've done really really good in keeping my runs easy. I've finally been able to get my pace closer to where it should be for my easy runs. We'll see what the speed work does to my weekly milage (once I add it). I'm thinking if I can't handle both I'll definetly be doing away with the speed workout and keeping just the one day of hills. I really don't want my milage to go less than 40 (at least 50 ideally for now).

Scout7

Every weekend might be a little too much. Maybe once a month, or two months, is better.
                I was just kidding Wink though once or twice a month or so sounds good!

Scout7

Hey, you SAY you're kidding...... I try to do about one a month. Sometimes more. I just like to go to the races, more than anything.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Once a month IS a good idea for more reasons than just the race. You will need to back off your training for a few days leading up to the race wish gives you a monthly mini break from the day to day training stresses. I can only hang onto good solid training for a 3 week period, then i do an easy week. This is for my mental as well as physical health Wink

Life is short, play hard!

I think I'm going to try and get in 1 challenging race a month in. Be it challenging course, something I've never done (like Sundays HM) or running it as hard as I can so I can get a PB in it. I really like the idea of having 3 good weeks of good solid training and one week of just easy stuff. I may do this for June and July before adding hills or any speed work (other than races). Then add in hills (still debating on speed work) for August, Sep and October. Still trying to figure out the best way to aproach my marathon training. Today was an easy 4.1. I may or may not do a couple easy miles tomorrow. Legs are feeling a bit tired and I've ran 24 days consecutive. Problem is I find that I feel worse after taking time off then I do if I don't.

Taking the day off. Hope I can run this trail hm smart enough tomorrow. One good thing is that it hasn't rained all week so hopefully not tons of mud. Bad thing is it's going to be in the mid to high 80's tomorrow and it doesn't start until 10 am.Definetly not a PR kind of course (well except a trail hm pr)

muse_runner

keep running.

A day off is good. Check my siggy. Smile be careful with your health (e.g., stomach)
                          running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                            Never really had a day off due to sickness (kids) so guess I don't know how to. Fortunatly for me this bug isn't very brutal. Just have a tummy ache, little nausea and not much of an appetite. If it follows suit like dd's did it will be gone by morning. Dh is really good at making me drink lots of fluids and eat as much as I can even if I don't feel like it. Plus tomorrow's race is going to be much tougher than what I'm used to so I'll be taking it much easier than normal. If something happens at least I'll be running withsomeone that can bury my body Clowning around

Well I managed to SURVIVE my first trail run!! Talk about a killer course! Nothing like running UP and DOWN a trail that in alot of areas was only a foot wide and had people both ways on it. Plus tons and tons of little rocks that one wrong step and your training for the next few weeks or month will consist of NO running. Anyway my official race report is on the main forum. It wasn't a certified course. My Garmin came up with 13.72 and since they added a couple aid stations that were off the course (first two you were dirceted off the trail for a good ways to the aid station, they took your number then you headed back to the trail and continued) so I'll stick with the 13.7 http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/36c0258058204ee29c4a8bbb4deb3051 I'm posting the elevation graph from the race Elevation Change Total (ft) Total Elevation 4,832 Elevation Gain 2,553 Elevation Loss 2,280 Net Elevation Change 273 Relevant Data Start Elevation (ft): 207 Finish Elevation (ft): 480 Min. Elevation (ft): 197 Max. Elevation (ft): 822 Got in a nice 4.1 mile recovery run. Took it super easy but still ended up doing it faster then I expected.

Wasatch Speedgoat

Good job, looks like the kind of course i enjoy Smile

Life is short, play hard!