RA Coaching Forum

Rockenmama's Training for 2007 Fall Marathon'S (Read 1567 times)

I'm in awe that you can run the day after a marathon Pam. You have an incredible depth of fitness! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Smile
    You know Bob I don't know what to think about how I bounce back. Either I have alot of work to do in HTFU and pushing myself harder when I need to (like I was supposed to during the last 10k of last marathon) OR I'm a "freak".

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I'm excited to see what your next 5K and 10K times will be...i'm guessing they'll be pretty big PRs coming up. Nice work again on the fall marathon season.
      So am I Steve! I sure hope they are and THanks!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Scout7

Regarding the bounce-back... I think it may be both. From personal experience, I know I can do easy runs within a day or two, and within 4-5, I'm back to where I was. But, I also think you can push yourself. I've seen you finish a marathon, and I really think that you have a little more to give.
          Regarding the bounce-back... I think it may be both. From personal experience, I know I can do easy runs within a day or two, and within 4-5, I'm back to where I was. But, I also think you can push yourself. I've seen you finish a marathon, and I really think that you have a little more to give.
          SO I'm a Freak who has a problem HTFU, go figue. I know I haven't given all I've got cause I'm really really itchen to do another race ( of course that could be due to me being a freak as well Confused)

Scout7

Hey, don't feel bad, you ain't the only one. I think it's more mental for you than anything. You got the miles and the endurance. You need to recognize that and learn how to push the gas. I picked that up watching you race 5ks.
              Hey, don't feel bad, you ain't the only one. I think it's more mental for you than anything. You got the miles and the endurance. You need to recognize that and learn how to push the gas. I picked that up watching you race 5ks.
              Glad to know there are other "freaks" like me around Roll eyes Anyway your not telling me anything I don't know or Ken hasn't told me. Gawd knows WHY I have such a hard time leaving my comfort zone. I have no problem putting the gas on if I see the finish line. I think it all comes down to not having the confidance in myself. Dh also says I'm just not an "aggresive" runner (not sure exactly what he means by that). I think once I actually start doing some speed work that will help. BTW when's your next race (other than CIM).

Scout7

I agree with Ken. You aren't agressive, running-wise. You play it safe, and you wait till you're certain you can make before attempting to make a move. I think the speedwork will help you learn to push things a little more. But what you really need is a swift kick to get your competitive juices going. You need to get to the line and think about beating as many people as possible. I have no problem running myself into the ground, if it means the other person suffers more. The whole point of endurance athletics is to push until everyone else either quits or dies. No idea. I'm taking some level of hiatus after CIM. I'm mentally fried right now from all the other silliness that goes on in my life, and this year has been too up and down.
                  You are DEAD ON! I don't think there has been any race (except for my last 5k) where I have even given a thought about the other people running the race. I'm usually to busy in my own little world until I see that I'm close to the finish line. The one race that I put EVERYTHING on the line was my first half marathon. If I had ran it by myself the ending would of probably been much different. Ken was my "rabbit"

The whole point of endurance athletics is to push until everyone else either quits or dies. No idea. I'm taking some level of hiatus after CIM. I'm mentally fried right now from all the other silliness that goes on in my life, and this year has been too up and down.
                    Maybe that's why I Ultra's really peak my interest! Well make sure you HTFU for CIM and then do what you need to do for yourself!! Being mentally fried is no freaken fun. Hope all the silliness goes away!

Ken was my "rabbit"
                      Maybe Scout can run NJ as a rabbit for you and Michelle. Big grin

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Scout7

See? I occasionally know what I'm talking about. I think the mentality comes from those who ran competitively in the past. Jeff has it, too. He talks all hippie-like, but he's got a killer instinct, don't let him fool ya. It's one thing to be able to push. It's another to have the drive and desire to push. I think you really need a set goal. BQ is a good one.
                          Maybe Scout can run NJ as a rabbit for you and Michelle. Big grin
                          GOOD IDEA Wink

See? I occasionally know what I'm talking about. I think the mentality comes from those who ran competitively in the past. Jeff has it, too. He talks all hippie-like, but he's got a killer instinct, don't let him fool ya. It's one thing to be able to push. It's another to have the drive and desire to push. I think you really need a set goal. BQ is a good one.
                            Well gloves are coming off and I'm definetly going to be training to BQ next year!! This past season my goal was to do my 3 marathons in 3 months. I did it. Now it's to BQ and I WILL!!

Scout7

What time do you need? Pick a nice fast course for it. Lehigh may be a really good option. I'm considering that for next year.
                                Now it's to BQ and I WILL!!
                                Sweet. I know you will!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?