RA Coaching Forum

Rockenmama's Training for 2007 Fall Marathon'S (Read 1567 times)

Sounds like your going to make the best of your xmas vacation! Hmmmmmmm I'll have to make sure to get some things I wouldn't mind playing with for the kids next year Evil grin

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Got in a real nice 9 mile run today. Had planned only 8, but legs were feeling great and frisky. Last mile I ran was on a combination of reg road and cleared trail (hopefully by tomorrow all the trails will be cleared). It felt AWESOME and I had no idea how fast it was. I figured around 8-8:10. FInished with lots of energy left (have alot of running around to do today). I did however walk the last 1.3 miles or so back to the car. That part of the trail is still really crappy. I've been lucky each day that I haven't fallen or twisted my ankle the first mile. Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 52 Shocked Go figure it's supposed to rain, but at least that will clear the trails by the time I get out for my run (I hope).

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Sounds like your going to make the best of your xmas vacation! Hmmmmmmm I'll have to make sure to get some things I wouldn't mind playing with for the kids next year Evil grin
        Good plan! I find as they get older - this is easier to do.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Nice run, Pam! Be careful on those trails!

Thanks Mike!! I'm definetly going to be more carefull on the trails. Fortunatly with all the rain and the fact that it got up to 60 degrees today (crazy crazy freaken weather today between the wind and the heat that came in AFTER my run) the trails should be clear until the next snow or ice fall. Got in a nice 11 miler this afternoon. HOWEVER my hip started feeling weird towards the end so I didn't finish the 12 mile. I'm sure it had alot to do with all the "pot holes" I had to deal with on certain parts of the trail as well as the fact that I pushed the last couple miles a little more than I should have. Since I got in a full strength workout last night I was supposed to do nothing but easy miles. Oh well I listened to my body and stopped before I had any pain. It's felt fine the rest of the day, we'll see how things go on tomorrow's run. I hate that I can't pick and choose my rest days this coming week. Looks like Wed- Friday will all be rest days. Course next week is a planned down week anyways. Since I've had to change my running route to accomodate my running (some parts of the trail we're un runnable) I've had more hills added into my run. I'm finding that it's easier for me to run uphill than it is to run on flat land. Weird.

btb1490

Hey Pam, looks like you're ending 2007 with a bang! Nice running there, despite the adverse conditions. I hope the hip calms down, good move backing off. You've been running more hills, adding more weight training, probably altering your stride with the snow and ice... your hip might be talking to you because of all that stuff. See if you can get some days of flat running in, and see if that helps. Try to enjoy the upcoming down time! Maybe you can get the gang out for a group dog walk here and there!
                I meant to respond to this before I left and even started to type but got interupted in the middle and forgot to finish. I had planned on heading to the bookstore before leaving, but didn't get the chance. HOWEVER I will mention to dh that I maybe intersted in a couple of books from that list for Christmas!
                OMG my dh is such a snoop Tongue TOTALLY forgot to mention to him about the running books. Well I guess he took it upon himself to keep up with this thread. He got me Running Tough by Michael Sandrock. Thanks Bob in your hand in the biggest Christmas suprise in my life (totally shocked and unexpected) I didn't know my husband had it in him to be able to suprise me (he usually gets me exactly what I ask for and that's it)

Hey Pam, looks like you're ending 2007 with a bang! Nice running there, despite the adverse conditions. I hope the hip calms down, good move backing off. You've been running more hills, adding more weight training, probably altering your stride with the snow and ice... your hip might be talking to you because of all that stuff. See if you can get some days of flat running in, and see if that helps. Try to enjoy the upcoming down time! Maybe you can get the gang out for a group dog walk here and there!
                  Thanks Bob and going for some group dog walks is a most excellent idea!! I have a feeling what you've said about everything I've been doing effecting my hip is spot on. I'll definetly look to get some flat run days in!!

btb1490

OMG my dh is such a snoop Tongue TOTALLY forgot to mention to him about the running books. Well I guess he took it upon himself to keep up with this thread. He got me Running Tough by Michael Sandrock. Thanks Bob in your hand in the biggest Christmas suprise in my life (totally shocked and unexpected) I didn't know my husband had it in him to be able to suprise me (he usually gets me exactly what I ask for and that's it)
                    That Santa guy works in mysterious ways, doesn't he? Smile
                      That Santa guy works in mysterious ways, doesn't he? Smile
                      That he does Bob Big grin

Well took Bob's advice today. Ran a MUCH flatter route (around old neighborhood). Got in 9.1 miles in. Here are the elevation profiles from both runs. Yesterdays Distance 11.32 100 Ascent 4.51 miles 39.8% Descent 4.31 miles 38.1% Flat 2.50 miles 22.1% Grade Average (%) Maximum (%) Overall Grade -0.0 -- Ascent Grade 6.7% 16.5% Descent Grade -6.8% -19.9% Today's run Distance 9.11 miles 100% Ascent 1.35 miles 14.8% Descent 1.65 miles 18.2 % Flat 6.10 Miles 67.0% Grade Average (%) Maximum (%) Overall Grade -0.1 -- Ascent Grade 1.8 % 6.5 % Descent Grade -1.8 % -7.6 %

btb1490

Pam, I'm happy to see that you are getting some runs in! Smile You've had a heck of a 2007! Happy, healthy 2008 to you and your family, it's gonna be exciting to see where your running goes!
                            Pam, I'm happy to see that you are getting some runs in! Smile You've had a heck of a 2007! Happy, healthy 2008 to you and your family, it's gonna be exciting to see where your running goes!
                            Thanks Bob!!! I see your ending 2007 nice! Nice milage last week!! You've had such an up and down year, so glad to see it ending on the UP side!! Happy, healthy 2008 to you and your family!! Can't wait to hear how Disney goes!

Running is going well. Adjusted my laces on my shoes and top of foot feels much better. Turned out instead of going up to the eyelet I needed to I was lacing them too tight then knotting them like 3 times. Recipe for problems. Ran at Little Lehigh. Added one of the extra hills but not the longest one. I'm going to try and do that only 2 times a week. Since tonight is strength training I figured what I did was enough. Not sure what I'll be doing tomorrow. Depends on how bad I kick my a$$ in my workout.

Totally agree on all points. Happy New Year Pam! Awesome to see you getting in so many strength workouts! I still need to HTFU and do some strength training - but my garage is cold - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Clowning around