RA Coaching Forum

Qualifying For Boston (Read 536 times)

Okay, here's the story: I have been running for just under 2 years (I am F, 26). Prior to that I was incredibly overweight and inactive. I started with the Couch to 5K and ran my first race a year ago (about 9 months after starting). My progress has been remarkable and fast (if I do say so myself! Wink ). My first race I did 5K in 27:36, my second race was a week later with a 10K in 52:06. My next race was 4 months later with more miles under my belt (I had worked up to an 18 miler and registered for a marathon) and I did 10K in 45:17. I added miles slowly and, even with 2 injuries a month before the race and food poisoning 2 days before, ran my first marathon in 3:59:18 (January). Since then I have done one half marathon (woke up the day before and just decided to do it. Who knew?) in 1:50:16 and one 10K in 49:59. Neither of those were 'raced', but instead just because I could. I want to do the Pacific Shoreline Marathon in Huntington Beach in February. I also want to qualify for Boston. I am fairly confident that I could do it, I just need a plan and strategy. My running has been more sporadic so far this year than I would like, and I am just now trying to consistently get in 30 miles/week. I will slowly be increasing that until I am averaging 35-40 by the time actual training starts in August. BTW, all of my running progress has been made on 30-40 miles/week, never more, with no real plan. I make up my mileage and what 'type' of run it will be when I get on the treadmill. Whatever I am in the mood for is what I do. My intervals are sporadic and dependent on my mood. I have 2 young boys and a teenager at home and I don't have the time to run several hours each day. I normally do 5 runs a week, but my younger sister just moved in with us (hence the teenager) and wanted me to do the Couch to 5K program with her. So 3 nights a week I also do slow intervals with her. (Don't tell her I said they were slow! Blush ) I should also mention that I suffer from bad knees. It's from an old surgery, but my miniscus' are shot. My right knee started hurting last summer, and my left knee started hurting in Feb of this year. I am pretty good about taking it easy when I should, although I probably still push myself more than is wise. I am kind of on borrowed time (as my Doc explains it), as both knees are already arthritic. I can't take anti-inflammatories, but I do take supplements that are supposed to help ease the pain and symptoms. I am fanatical about replacing my shoes and do what I can to make the degeneration slower. Okay, too much information I know, but I figured I'd answer as many question up front as I could. Now that it's out there, here are my questions: Do you think I could BQ? Do you have a preferred running plan that fits into (what you know of) my schedule? Do you have any suggestions about how many interval/fartlek/tempo runs I should do, and at what pace? {Oh. Also, I do all of my runs except Saturday long runs on a treadmill. I am faster outside than inside, so any predicted paces would have to be lowered to account for that.} Do you have any advice/words of wisdom/etc that you'd like to share? Thanks for any and all help. I really appreciate it! ~Callie
    "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
    muse_runner

keep running.

Callie, with a 10k time of 45 minutes uhm YEAH you can BQ!!! my 10k PR isn't that hot and I'm trying to BQ myself. the key is patience and knowing what is best for YOU!!! I'm doing Long Beach City Smile I did the 1/2 at Pac Shoreline too!! Smile
      running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
      mikeymike

Do you think I could BQ?
        Yes. Based on your track record and improvent curve, definitely.
        Do you have a preferred running plan that fits into (what you know of) my schedule?
        Keep doing what you're doing only gradually do more of it. Seriously, it doesn't need to get much more complicated than that. You probably want to put a few races on the calendar in the interum, to check your prgress and to give you intermediate goals.
        Do you have any suggestions about how many interval/fartlek/tempo runs I should do, and at what pace?
        That stuff is really details that you don't need to worry too much about to run a 3:40 marathon. Keep it simple. If you want, for example, once a week do something like 8 x 2 minutes fast / 2 minutes easy and another day do 3 x 8 minutes at "tempo" with 3 minutes easy. Something like that. Everything else, easy pace.
        Do you have any advice/words of wisdom/etc that you'd like to share?
        Keep the love. Look forward to the time you get to run, cherish it. Use it as time to meditate on all that you have to be thankful for. Keep the external goal separate from that--you have to love the work or its not worth it.
        Thanks for any and all help. I really appreciate it!
        No, thank you. Sincerely.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

That stuff is really details that you don't need to worry too much about to run a 3:40 marathon. Keep it simple. If you want, for example, once a week do something like 8 x 2 minutes fast / 2 minutes easy and another day do 3 x 8 minutes at "tempo" with 3 minutes easy. Something like that. Everything else, easy pace.
          Mikeymike, what about some Yasso 800s?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

Mikeymike, what about some Yasso 800s?
            I don't see much value those as a workout or as a predictor. I could run 10 x 8 in 2:45 with 2:45 rest right now without much trouble. That woudl be a pretty easy workout. I couldn't run a 2:45 marathon right now to save my life.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Go for it, Callie! Training for the marathon requires three things: 1) a long-term view of your running progress, 2) miles, and 3) more miles. The great thing about the marathon is that because there are no shortcuts to success, the training is so simple you can't really screw it up. Just get out the door as many days a week as you can and run as far as you can. Throw in a little running at marathon pace or a little faster when you feel good, for confidence. Judging by the success you've had, I think that the attitude and approach you've take towards weight loss and general health is exactly the same attitude you should take towards the marathon. Improvement comes slowly, but if you stay at over the long haul, it will add up! Running a BQ will be a cinch compared to what you've already done. I'm excited to watch the journey!
              derek

I don't see much value those as a workout or as a predictor. I could run 10 x 8 in 2:45 with 2:45 rest right now without much trouble. That woudl be a pretty easy workout. I couldn't run a 2:45 marathon right now to save my life.
                I read the article and did some additional research. Doesn't the use of Yasso 800s for marathon prediction also assume you are properly trainined for a marathon. E.g, if you had been doing 20-mile long runs and upped your mileage, you don't think you could run a 2:45 marathon?

Derek

Wasatch Speedgoat

Callie, back when i started running in the mid 70's I was training and racing a lot like you are. Not on a treadmill, but most of it on the flat Charles River Paths in Cambridge and Boston... My first marathon was run at the 1978 NYC marathon in 3:45...exactly one year later at that same race I ran a 2:59. What did I do differently in that year? I ran more....not a lot, but i think I went from 30 mpw to about 50. I didn't change any of the quicker work I was doing, just added miles and ti worked. I went home after that 2:59 and did shorter faster stuff for several weeks and ran the Cape Cod Marathon in 2:49. What allowed that to happen was the miles i added...so you don't have to add much, just a little bit at a time, like Mike said. 10% rule, no more than a 10% a week increase. One other tip I'll give you is once while listening to an interview with Bill Rodgers the question asked was how was he able to run for so many years. His answer was at every chance he got, he hopped on grass or some other soft surface. My wife has no cartilage in one of her knees and regularly runs ultra marathons. She runs at least one 100 a year and usually two. One thing we both do is take 1000 mgs of Glucosamine Sulfate every day. Good luck, Steve

Life is short, play hard!

mikeymike

I read the article and did some additional research. Doesn't the use of Yasso 800s for marathon prediction also assume you are properly trainined for a marathon. E.g, if you had been doing 20-mile long runs and upped your mileage, you don't think you could run a 2:45 marathon?
                    There have been times (and there will be times in the future, I hope) when I have been fit enough to run a 2:45. But there's no relationship between that and being able to do a bunch of 800s in 2:45 with equal rest. There have also been times in my life when I have done 10 x 800 in 2:20 with equal rest. And there's never been (and never will be) a time when I can run a 2:20 marathon. Yasso's are pure snake oil, it's a get-rich-quick scheme. Just look a this quote from the article: And now you've got an easier way: you've got Yasso 800s. Want to run a 3:30 marathon? Then train to run a bunch of 800s in 3:30 each. Between the 800s, jog for the same number of minutes it took you to run your repeats. Training doesn't get any simpler than this, not on this planet or anywhere else in the solar system. Sound too good to be true? There are no short cuts for racing the marathon.

Runners run

Scout7

I think Bart himself came out later and said that his 800's have been sorely misrepresented, and were by no means supposed to be anything other than a tool to gauge fitness. By that standard, they are no better or worse than McMillan's calculators (or anyone else's). There's always something that can happen on race day that screws the time. So Yasso never meant for them to be a tool to help run that time, more of a way to see progress in training.
                        Wow. Thanks for all of the info and encouragement. You guys are awesome. I like that you guys encouraged me to do what I've been doing; it's a relief. I know that what I've done in the past obviously worked out well, but I also expect that my progress will likely not be as dramatic this time around. I'm moving into my third year of running, and I can't expect to continue to have those huge 'beginner gains'. This may be a no brainer, and I've already read much on the subject, but here's a question about long runs. Now that I have some long miles under my belt, and I do at least 10 every Saturday, do you think it would be okay to add in one 20-miler a month between October and January? Most marathon programs only do 1-2 prior to the race, but I wonder if incorporating one each month would help my confidence as well as my body. Second question is the pace. I have a habit of pushing myself on long runs more than I should, and only recently have I really started taking "easy" seriously. One treadmill run each week is at ~6.3mph, a very easy pace for me. Last week I finally carried that over to the long run, where I kept my HR at a consistent 155 for the entire run. That's pretty low for me (in races I aim for 170, and my 10K PR was run at about 180-185). My 12 miles last week came in at 9:08/mile and I finished feeling as though I could have kept going. I plan on continuing that plan and seeing how it goes, but do you think it would be beneficial to run some of my long runs at marathon pace (8:24/mile)? Is it better to train my body to run that fast for, say a 15 miler, or is it better to take it easy and do speed work only on my lower mileage days? I know what 'conventional wisdom' says, but I have to wonder if I can really trust race-day adrenaline and endorphins to carry me through if I haven't done some long runs at my goal pace. Thanks again for all of the information.
                        "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
                        mikeymike

There have been some pretty robust discussions on the main board as well as in the 2k swamp around long runs and pace. My .02: .01 Doing a 20 now and then is fine, just don't make those youre be all end all. If it fits in with your schedule and does not compromise your training the other 6 days of the week, fine. It prbably will help you mentally and physically to have several of them under your belt over several months--way better than cramming them in at the end of a training program. .02 It's a really good idea to do some marathon paced running during your long runs, preferably late in your long runs. These are your most race-specific workouts. Keep your shorter runs relaxed and easy, set aside some time in your longer runs for race-pace running.

Runners run

Wasatch Speedgoat

Callie... I agree with everything Mike says....being an ultrarunner my training revolves around my long (s)...but I've been running for over 30 years and have calloused my body to take on everything I throw at it. The past two weekends I've run over 40 miles in two workouts, tomorrow I'm running 40 miles in one workout while sweeping a 50 mile race. It's all what you can gradually build up to do....running a long run (20 miles) will give you confidence that you can go at least that far....and a lot of what we do here in LD running is mental. I'll throw in another thing and say why not run for time and then you won't be racing yourself...if you think you would like to run a 3:45 marathon, then what time do you think you would safely feel confident that you can go the rest of the way? 3 hours? maybe you need 3.5 hours for that confidence...go out for time instead of trying to find a 20 mile route to run....you'll never know how fast you've run it, but it should be comfortable anyway if it's your long run. And like mike said as you get closer to the end, pick up the pace and finish strong. You mentioned HRM and heart rate, you might want to check out the new Low HR Training group.... http://www.runningahead.com/groups/LOWHRTR

Life is short, play hard!

Steve and Mike, thanks for the quick responses! Once my runs get up near the 16 mile mark, I do focus more on time than on mileage. Last year I worked with the theory that I needed to my body comfortable running for long periods of time, regardless of the miles. If I could do that then I could do a marathon and the pace would take care of itself on race day. Then again, I also didn't have any major goals for my first marathon. This time around I want to see if I can focus on both. I try not to pre-determine my pace, but I do usually leave the house with some idea of how long I'll be gone. Some of this is safety (giving my husband an idea of my return time) and some of this is time constraints (I don't always have time to be gone for 3 hours on a Saturday morning). I am going to keep trying to run intuitively and see how that goes for me. June and July get to be experiemental build up months before I start really planning things out in August. And, Mike, I do have a 10K in September that I am planning to run and a half marathon in late October. My area is pretty small and we only have about 6 races a year. But I figure those 2 distances should give me a good idea of my progress. I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.
                              Eryn

Callie, I'm seconding the Glucosamine advice from Steve. I can't take NSAIDs either, and a few years ago I rescued my knees from the brink of not being able to run ever by taking that daily. You might already take it, but if not, it's worth trying out for a month!

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.