RA Coaching Forum

Rockenmama's Ultra Marathon training journal (Read 757 times)

Doing it over 2 runs when you need to isn't the end of the world. You got the time in at least. When I eat on my 3-4+ hour training runs, I like to take gummi bears and things like that with me, although I haven't used them in any of my races (I've only run up to 50k so far, and only use gels in my marathons.) I also try to do some looping so that I can get a banana or something halfway through.
    That's what I figured. Got the time and miles in I'm happy. I'm thinking gummi bears may be the first thing I start with. I know I'm good with banana's (I'll eat one right before a run and have eaten one during the middle of a run as well). I think up to 50k gels work for me however I know better than to expect that for my 50 miler. I'm also going to be buying some S caps and trying those as well. Just gotta figure what kind of stuff I can put in my car that won't go bad lol. Were I run it's a 5.25 or so mile loop which is perfect.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well tomorrow I will be experimenting with "food" during my 4 hour run. I think the candidates for tomorrow's run are pretzel's and swedish fish. Not exactly the type of food I enjoy on a regular basis but at least they should survive the heat. I ordered my S-Caps and they should be here in time for next week's long runs(3 hour and 2.5 hour). Another hot weekend is coming up. I'll be heading out around 7 am. Wonder what average pace will look like for tomorrow's run. I'm expecting closer to 12 minute miles I think since it's going to be gawd awfull humid in the am (wasn't nearly as bad last weekend). I can't believe I'm only 6 weeks away.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Well I had success with the swedish fish and pretzels. Funny thing was I didn't need much of either for the 4 hour run. Didn't even come close to bonking. I think tomorrow i'll be trying peanut butter crackers. Anyway nice 21.6 mile run today. I think I'm going to do my 3.5 hour run tomorrow in the evening so I can "hopefully" compare running in am humidity and it being at the hotest at end of run to running when the humidity is lower and it's "cooler" at the end of the run

Glad that worked for you, but definitely recommend that you keep experimenting and try something at least a few times before assuming it will work for you. Smile

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

OK HR was screwey. Kept spiking despite slow pace. I had an upset stomach so I'm sure that had everything to do with it. Here is some data from my first run with the hr monitor (before I put my info into the profile) The high hr spike was due to sensors not being wet enough Heart Rate (%max) 76 46 98 Heart Rate (zone) 3.6 0.9 5.8 Heart Rate (bpm) 138 84 179 Heart Rate Zones (%max) Time (h:m:s) Distance (mi ) Speed (mph) Zone 0 0-50 00:00:05 0.01 5.4 Zone 1 50-60 00:04:17 0.06 0.8 Zone 2 60-70 00:05:51 0.50 5.1 Zone 3 70-80 03:23:39 17.58 5.2 Zone 4 80-90 00:10:49 0.96 5.3 Zone 5 90-100 00:03:00 0.28 5.6 Relevant Data Max Heart Rate: 182 bp Photobucket Today's run. (was stopped for a bit to talk to dh about dropping the planned 3.5 to somewhere around 9-10 miles) also accidently stopped garmin for close to .6 or so of a mile before noticing. Also added my info to the garmin profile before today's run. Heart Rate Data Avg Low High Heart Rate (%max) 75 45 102 Heart Rate (zone) 3.5 0.9 7.2 Heart Rate (bpm) 136 81 185 Heart Rate Zones (%max) Time (h:m:s) Distance (mi ) Speed (mph) Zone 0 0-50 00:00:29 0.04 4.4 Zone 1 50-60 00:00:44 0.05 4.4 Zone 2 60-70 00:11:45 0.90 4.6 Zone 3 70-80 01:41:28 6.59 3.9 Zone 4 80-90 00:35:29 2.99 5.1 Zone 5 90-100 00:03:31 0.30 5.1 Relevant Data Max Heart Rate: 182 bpm Photobucket

Thanks for the advice Blaine!

I'll be doing my 3.5 hour run tomorrow and taking Tuesday off instead.

btb1490

Almost 50 miles of running the past three days... WOW!
                    Seriously. How are you feeling about those long runs, Pam! Your chart is full of tall pink bars!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Big grin

Seriously. How are you feeling about those long runs, Pam! Your chart is full of tall pink bars!
                        Hey Mike! I can't believe how good I'm feeling *knock on wood* Slowing down on my long runs has really helped (I believe) Believe it or not I'm no longer "fearing" my back to back 5 hour and 4 hour runs. Oh and I was actually thinking that if I actually am able to do Lone Ranger (money is tight) that I might even actually try for 50 miles Shocked

Future running partner.

Hey Mike! I can't believe how good I'm feeling *knock on wood* Slowing down on my long runs has really helped (I believe) Believe it or not I'm no longer "fearing" my back to back 5 hour and 4 hour runs. Oh and I was actually thinking that if I actually am able to do Lone Ranger (money is tight) that I might even actually try for 50 miles Shocked
                          I think its a combination of you slowing down and that your conditioning is improving and you are getting more used to being on your feet for that long. Keep it up. Wink
                            I think its a combination of you slowing down and that your conditioning is improving and you are getting more used to being on your feet for that long. Keep it up. Wink
                            Thanks Tom! I found myself "dancing" well not that it could really be called that since I was jogging, but anywas to Livin La Vida Loca at the end of my long run. I'm definitely getting used to being on my feet for a long period of time now Smile

Ran with my a couple of friends this morning. Both are having issue's with nagging pains and the humidity really got to them today. It was weird to hear them talk about how hard this run was today and seing them dragging, (I was feeling really good) considering they are running half my milage. LHT for my "real long" runs really is helping.

Well tomorrow is almost here. Not sure how my knee is going to act tomorrow. High tomorrow is supposed to be in low-mid 90's. UGhhhhhhhhh oh well such is life. I think I'd rather have to deal with the heat than a unhappy knee tomorrow. Here's to 50!