RA Coaching Forum

Surgery question? (Read 176 times)

Member Since 2008

I have almost completed the first week of the competitive 5K program from Cool Running, and actually feel pretty good. My question is, I am having surgery on my right hand (ligiment graft to the thumb) on May 14th, on the day I do a speed workout (3 X Mile). Is it advisable to run before the surgery? (two hours prior). I also plan to run the day after. It should be an easy 9 miler. I am not worried about damaging the hand since it will be immobilized with pins. Am I crazy? I cannot stand to miss runs.
      Your not going to be able to properly rehydrate or eat after your speedwork due to surgery so my suggestion would to not do your speed work right before surgery. As for running the day after,up to you!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

mikeymike

I agree. Skip running the day of your surgury. You'll probably be a bit depleted any since normally you can't eat for 24 hours before you go under the knife. As for the day after, see how you feel then. On a side noe, I once had hand surgury on my rught hand to re-attach a chip of bone and some ligaments to my thumb with pins. Good times.

Runners run